Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?

Go down 
+26
DallasBlack
DeathCult
sam
steel warrior
skullsmasher
Tall Tyrion
Schbopo
XYZ
nevermore
7thSecond
akeldama
Temple of Blood
kmorg
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Shiney
tohostudios
Thrasher73
ultmetal
manny
Fat Freddy
mc666
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Troublezone
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am

Stryper would be pretty middle tier to me. They are good, but there were so many that compounded on what they started and made it better.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am

WAY up there. They're as good as any, in my opinion....especially when they go heavy. I prefer Tyketto for mid-level rockers, but Stryper can hang with anyone.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Up at the top!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Quote :
As a matter of fact, nearly two decades later and Iron Maiden "borrowed" that riff for one of their songs. (Check out "Wicker Man")

Almost sounds more like Jesus Makes Me Wanna Sing.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Quote :
As a matter of fact, nearly two decades later and Iron Maiden "borrowed" that riff for one of their songs. (Check out "Wicker Man")

Almost sounds more like Jesus Makes Me Wanna Sing.

Could be. I might be getting the songs confused. All I remember is when I first heard Wicker Man I thought to myself, "That's a Stryper riff".

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyfIQ7s14wc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkDfY3y9SVI

I'd like your opinion, because these both sound like Running Wild by priest.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Funny, they keep calling them a heavy metal bnd in thise YouTube clips from the 80's. DO YOU HEAR THAT, MICHAEL SWEET!!!!?????

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 pm

kmorg wrote:
Funny, they keep calling them a heavy metal bnd in thise YouTube clips from the 80's. DO YOU HEAR THAT, MICHAEL SWEET!!!!?????

If he called himself a heavy metal band, half the people would rag on him, and he when he doesn't the other half rag on him
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Lower top or High Middle.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Musically, top tier. Lyrically lower top tier.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:51 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Quote :
The only "real" thing that setthem apart from the oher bands at the time, was the Christian angle. Scratch that and they could have been another faceless strip band circa 1984.

You think this was an adavantage? Because I don't. I believe if they had sang about girls, parties, and hot rods, they would have sold twice as many records.
They definitely would've sold much more and done much better had they not been a Christian band. That's not even really debatable. I'd rank Stryper at the top of the bottom tier, along with Poison and White Lion, because even though I own everything they've released I just don't care for them a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 5:12 pm

I have to agree with 7th if they had sang about chicks they would have sold alot more albums, being a Christian pop metal got them alot of press from S**t Parader. Circus, and other publications at the time, but also exposed them to a lot of scorn.

They were only Christian artist at the time, that was not being marketed simply for the Christian market, they sang about their faith openly but I think they wanted to be seen as a rock band not just a Christian rock band. At time only mainstream Christian artist Amy Grant was making baby steps toward the secular pop market, Petra and Rez Band were not.

Stryper did and they also got critized from Churches and other Christians for playing with secular metal acts, these guys were given a hard time by both sides and I am surprised in retrospec that they were able to become as successful as they did due to everything going against them.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:08 pm

I'd rank them in the lower area of the top tier.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 pm

nevermore wrote:
I'd rank them in the lower area of the top tier.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:51 pm

They were certainly no Ratt.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 7:29 pm

Schbopo wrote:

Right, because they were better. Very Happy

Stephen Pearcy isn't half the vocalist Micheal Sweet is.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Right, because they were better. Very Happy

Stephen Pearcy isn't half the vocalist Micheal Sweet is.

Agreed. I think, musically, Stryper was much better as well.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:14 am

Stryper were a cut above in many respects, but the aweful cheesiness of most of the ballads brought them down. Upper middle, I'd say.

Just compare Alone Again with Honestly.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:48 am

How do you compare shite vs shite?
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:25 am

Never could get into them, I have a couple of their albums on tape but just never really played them. They were really not my cup of tea, I liked a rowdier type of vocal than what this band had to offer. I would rank them lower tier.

I won't deny that they could sing and play well, just not my style. The costumes, make-up and girlish looks really turned me off too. I was glad when that phase passed. Seeing WASP and Crue all dolled up circa 1986 was just a bit too much too.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:48 am

DenimAndLeather wrote:

Texture, smell, warmth and overall softness....

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 pm

kmorg wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:

texture?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
kmorg wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:

texture?

Well, y'know, sometimes there's corn in it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:51 pm

not in Norway.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:54 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
not in Norway.

True. There's probably lutefisk in it over there though. sick

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next