Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you all think of Strapping young lad

Go down 
+9
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
nevermore
Todd Jaymz
Smindas
A Handful of Wayne
sam
INVADERS
fingers
13 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

What do you all think of Strapping young lad Empty
PostSubject: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 6:42 am

they are one of the heaviest bands I have heard they are heavy monsterously
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 11:57 am

- awesome band.
- Devin Townsend is a genius
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:12 pm

love this band, towsend is a genius
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:15 pm

I was hoping to like them but never bought any full length cds so when the best of came out I picked that up. I wasnt too crazy about it so im really up in the air about them. Theres another band called Zimmers Hole that has some SYL members in it and I think I like them a tad bit more.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I was hoping to like them but never bought any full length cds so when the best of came out I picked that up. I wasnt too crazy about it so im really up in the air about them. Theres another band called Zimmers Hole that has some SYL members in it and I think I like them a tad bit more.

love zimmers hole as well, while you were shouting... is a great album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:25 pm

INVADERS wrote:
- awesome band.
That about sums it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
SYL isn't going to be for everyone. You should, however, check out his solo material. Brilliant stuff!

And if you like his solo stuff, check out SYL's The New Black album. That album is more like his solo stuff mixed with the SYL stuff. I think it's their best album, though many disagree.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:44 pm

I think INVADERS hit the nail on the head. SYL are fantastic, but I can also see why they wouldn't appeal to everyone. I originally didn't like them until I saw them open for Arch Enemy a couple of years back. Their show won me over instantaneously, with Devin's banter being one of the highlights of the entire evening - especially when he remarked that his skullet was the result of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a teenager. I think they were touring for Alien at that point, which is a great album. Incredibly aggressive and incredibly unique, I always enjoy sitting down to listen to it. Possibly one of the heaviest albums I can think of, too.

However, I definitely prefer Dev's solo stuff to SYL. His solo stuff is so melodic and has such fantastic song writing. I also really enjoy Dev's cleaner vocals and he always seems to get the balance between heavy and melodic just right for me.

On a slightly off-topic note, has anyone got his Punky Bruster album - the spoof punk one? I managed to get it at the beginning of the year, and it's definitely one of my favourite albums nowadays.

...I may have gone in to ramble mode a bit.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Smindas wrote:
I think INVADERS hit the nail on the head. SYL are fantastic, but I can also see why they wouldn't appeal to everyone. I originally didn't like them until I saw them open for Arch Enemy a couple of years back. Their show won me over instantaneously, with Devin's banter being one of the highlights of the entire evening - especially when he remarked that his skullet was the result of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a teenager. I think they were touring for Alien at that point, which is a great album. Incredibly aggressive and incredibly unique, I always enjoy sitting down to listen to it. Possibly one of the heaviest albums I can think of, too.

However, I definitely prefer Dev's solo stuff to SYL. His solo stuff is so melodic and has such fantastic song writing. I also really enjoy Dev's cleaner vocals and he always seems to get the balance between heavy and melodic just right for me.

On a slightly off-topic note, has anyone got his Punky Bruster album - the spoof punk one? I managed to get it at the beginning of the year, and it's definitely one of my favourite albums nowadays.

...I may have gone in to ramble mode a bit.

I looked for it but could not find it
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 2:57 pm

I saw them open for Arch Enemy as well, wow what a set!-TJ
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 5:02 pm

INVADERS wrote:
- awesome band.

Can't argue with that.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:02 am

I think they're interesting.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:04 am

I've checked them out, but apparently I don't "get it."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:07 am

Devin is a genius, but his music usually gets on my nerves...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Devin is a genius, but his music usually gets on my nerves...

He's got an awesome "skullet" hair do tho. When I start going bald up the middle like him I'm going to do the same thing, and grow the sides out super long.
Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:24 am

i like them, especially the first album. i just never understood all the hype.

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:30 am

I don't like SYL, but I like most of his solo stuff a lot. Especially Terria and Accelerated Evolution.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:46 am

mc666 wrote:
i like them, especially the first album. i just never understood all the hype.

This is me, except I also dig "City". Beyond that, whatever.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've checked them out, but apparently I don't "get it."

Put me in that category too. I heard the hype, then listenend to the music. Meh, not my thing. But yea, the skullet rocks.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Breaking news: Devin cut off the skullet a while back. Shame to, him and Dio should have done a Metal up the Skullet tour.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Rex wrote:
Breaking news: Devin cut off the skullet a while back. Shame to, him and Dio should have done a Metal up the Skullet tour.
don't forget about Cronos.

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Cronos could wear a clown wig and still be billions of times cooler than Devin Townsend.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 am

I like SYL's music however, the lyrics tend to turn my off (too much cussing just doesn't do it for me anymore-the major reason why I stopped listening to Biohazard years ago). I love the song Love and played it quite oftern (though not in some time). Also Satan's Ice Cream Truck is pretty amusing song. Townsend is indeed a genius nutball (bipolar to be exact) and did a very awesome cover of Judas Priest-Exciter.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of Strapping young lad   What do you all think of Strapping young lad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you all think of Strapping young lad
Page 1 of 1