Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rage against the machine

Go down 
+12
Thrasher73
nevermore
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Selvmord
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
spiritoradio
TheGooch
manny
shamgar75
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Rage against the machine Empty
PostSubject: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Probably the best rap-metal band out there! Tom Morello is an amazing guitarist and Zack de la Rocha is probably the best white rapper ever. Anyways, opinions?
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:55 pm

I like Ted Cockerly from Every Day Life (EDL) better than Zach. Plus EDL's first couple of albums had a real heavy sound. Good rap-metal band that never got their due.

:bangyerhead:
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Rage Against The Machine very cool band, Tom Morello is an excellent guitartist, uses his own hands and imagination to create the sounds without resorting to hiring a dj, Zakk's very left wing politics while I rarely agree with his political viewpoints, at least his lyrics are food for thought, and is probably the only rock band that has a recommended reading lists on their website.
Listened to "Evil Empire" yesterday, the lyrical subject still applies 12 years later.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 6:19 am

tom morelo is very skilled on the guitar for sure
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:59 pm

The first RATM album is fantastic from start to finish. There are some heavy tunes on that disc.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
The first RATM album is fantastic from start to finish. There are some heavy tunes on that disc.

Yep! Easily my favorite RATM album!

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 2:39 pm

Zach isn't white! Jesus. Really? Who posted that? Haha.

Either way, I like Rage, but I say it every time, Downset did it first and better (they deserve the recognition):

Downset were doing that when Zach was still doing this:

In fact, Downset used to cover that Inside Out song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 2:44 pm

I thought Tom Morello was a pretty inventive guitarist that created his own signature sound, but the rap-rock stuff never appealed to me. I'm only familiar with 1 or 2 songs. I liked Tom's work on the 1st Audioslave disk, which is really what I'm basing my opinion on.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm

why is Schbopo, who started this thread, suddenly a guest?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:12 pm

manny wrote:

"He Who Walks Behind The Rows" was hungry and Schbopo was out in the open?

Just a guess.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:12 pm

manny wrote:

Schbopo is Schnomo.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:57 pm

Downset did it first and better (they deserve the recognition):

Just because they were first doesn't make them better, Tom Morello is better guitartist than Ares Schwager could ever dream of being, Rey Oropeza lyrics are laughable, not very articulate, and at least Zakk has read a book or two in his lifetime. Zakk has never written lyrics as insipid as following :
A shadow of divine perfection
Royal majestic my g-dhood extension
Truly move me from source of pure energy ecstasy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 7:11 pm

manny wrote:
Downset did it first and better (they deserve the recognition):

Just because they were first doesn't make them better, Tom Morello is better guitartist than Ares Schwager could ever dream of being, Rey Oropeza lyrics are laughable, not very articulate, and at least Zakk has read a book or two in his lifetime. Zakk has never written lyrics as insipid as following :
A shadow of divine perfection
Royal majestic my g-dhood extension
Truly move me from source of pure energy ecstasy
Are you kidding me? Zach has plenty of trite, insipid lyrics for both bands.

Quote :
Hey yo, it's just another bombtrack
And suckas be thinkin' that they can fade this
But I'm gonna drop it at a higher level
'Cause I'm inclined to stoop down
Hand out some beat-downs
Cold runna train on punk ho's that
Think they run the game
Quote :
Solo, I'm a soloist on a solo list
Alive, never on a floppy disk
Inka, inka, bottle of ink
Paintings of rebellion
Drawn up by the thoughts I think
Yeah!
Come on!
Clear strokes of genius. Rolling Eyes You might like RATM more, but the fact remains that they ripped their style from Downset. I like both bands; I have no issues with someone liking one over the other. Morella is the better guitarist, and really the only thing that set each band apart early was Morello's more creative...noises. Otherwise, Rage and Downset were nearly identical.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Are you kidding me? Zach has plenty of trite, insipid lyrics for both bands.

Quote :
Hey yo, it's just another bombtrack
And suckas be thinkin' that they can fade this
But I'm gonna drop it at a higher level
'Cause I'm inclined to stoop down
Hand out some beat-downs
Cold runna train on punk ho's that
Think they run the game
Quote :
Solo, I'm a soloist on a solo list
Alive, never on a floppy disk
Inka, inka, bottle of ink
Paintings of rebellion
Drawn up by the thoughts I think
Yeah!
Come on!
Clear strokes of genius. Rolling Eyes
You might like RATM more, but the fact remains that they ripped their
style from Downset. I like both bands; I have no issues with someone
liking one over the other. Morella is the better guitarist, and really
the only thing that set each band apart early was Morello's more
creative...noises. Otherwise, Rage and Downset were nearly
identical.[/quote]

I am glad you posted Zakk's lyrics, I found them to be hilarious. Maybe
Zakk isn't the Bob Dylan of the metal world, but for the most apart I
like his lyrics better, and I don't agree that Rage and Downset are
identical. I think Rage has it's own identity, and made a musicial
statement right from the starting gate.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't think downset and RATM sound that similar either. RATM has a much more "metal" sound IMO. Downset sounds more like a numetal/rap fusion to my ears.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:03 pm

I see Rage Agaisnt the Machine as this generation's answer to the Mc5,
not in musicial terms but in attitude wise, Downset's rhythm section is
nowhere near as good as Rage's, Zakk is better vocalist/rapper than
Rey, and brings alot of his personality into the music, that being said
if your fan of both bands that is cool, but Downset and Rage Agaisnt
the Machine are not identical.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Never liked them. Hate the style too. And the political agenda was anoying.....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Selvmord wrote:
Never liked them. Hate the style too. And the political agenda was anoying.....

I will agree with that last point. I just try to tune out the political agenda. Same thing I do with a host of other artists.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Pocket full of fatcaps, pocket full of fatcaps...

I used to like Downset...a lonnnng time ago (like 12 years ago)..

On that 'dead language' album, I remember the guitar being closer to traditional metal than RATM's stuff was, and the raps being a very straight flow for the most part with not a lot of change ups or repetition unlike RATM. I think I liked them more back then.

But I haven't listened since then, so I might be off some. I won't necessarily throw the radio to something else if RATM is on. The alternative stations are so pathetic, it's easily the best thing they play. It's not any of the worst stuff out there, but I'm not really a fan. I also wouldn't want to bother getting something that is more about the media format (music) being another vehicle for some gigantic political statement. It's cool to be an activist to an extent, and say what you mean lyrically, but when the music is just sort of this byproduct, something you just picked cause it was cool or whatnot..eh. That goes for all bands, the Christian ones too..

It's like U2. I know U2 doesn't have the same obsessive lyrical tendancies, but sometimes I wonder if their fans are stricken with guilt every time they plop down $17.00 for a U2 disc instead of sending it to Africa. You know?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Quote :
It's like U2. I know U2 doesn't have the same obsessive lyrical tendancies, but sometimes I wonder if their fans are stricken with guilt every time they plop down $17.00 for a U2 disc instead of sending it to Africa. You know?

I think this every time Bono spouts off about donating to AIDS or something. There's something vaguely hypocritical there IMO.

Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:26 pm

I always thought it was funny too how RATM always seemed to talk about "The Man" yet they are on a major record lable..... Hmmmm
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Not that hypocritical...the RIAA (which Epic is part of) is all Big Hollywood anyway (super far leaning lefties) who only slap a censor on something when they figure they might lose money from the target audience. And Epic let them have creative control supposedly, so...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 12:21 am

manny wrote:
I am glad you posted Zakk's lyrics, I found them to be hilarious. Maybe Zakk isn't the Bob Dylan of the metal world, but for the most apart I like his lyrics better, and I don't agree that Rage and Downset are identical. I think Rage has it's own identity, and made a musicial statement right from the starting gate.
Weak. Hilarious? Why not have some integrity and admit that they were stupid words.

As for who wrote better lyrics, that's all subjective. For every bad example of Downset's lyrics you show, I can do the same with Rage's. The opposite can be said as well.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 12:42 am

"Anger! Hostility towards the opposition!"

i like Downset, but not RATM. this has to do with Zakks vocals for the most part.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:14 am

Weak. Hilarious? Why not have some integrity and admit that they were stupid words.

As
for who wrote better lyrics, that's all subjective. For every bad
example of Downset's lyrics you show, I can do the same with Rage's.
The opposite can be said as well.[/quote]

You question my integrity because I found the lyrics hilarious? I admit
that lyrics are funny, hilarious, a laugh riot, knee slapper, tickeled
my funny bone,do I find Zakk's lyrics to be stupid, no because unlike
Downset's lyrics at least I felt some sort of emotional response
besides apathy, to question one's integrity over a disagreement on song
lyrics well, I do find that to be amusing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rage against the machine   Rage against the machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rage against the machine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next