Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rage Against The Machine

Go down 
+15
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
the sentinel
Aaron_D
Fat Freddy
Hadley
Required Fields
Lari
nevermore
tohostudios
Wrecked Neck
Glower
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3179

Rage Against The Machine Empty
PostSubject: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Anyone have any input for this band ?
Bought a CD - just to crank in my car - Sleep Now in the Fire.
Interesting style.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm

They suck? That's all the input I can come up with at the moment lol
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 7:34 pm

I actually like some Rage but I do find that the rap/metal style starts to grate on my nerves after a while.

But this particular song is stillĀ a workout favorite:

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
They suck? That's all the input I can come up with at the moment lol

lol! Agreed!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm

BTW, I'm moving this because The Complete Works forum is supposed to be for full band discographies.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 4:48 pm

I thought the first two albums were good. But after those I got bored with them pretty quick.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:02 pm

I blame them for nu-metal.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Lari wrote:

Why?

I think you can blame them for stuff like Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach but how are they responsible for nu metal?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Regardless, call it what you want, but it all sounds like ass. lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Laughing very hard

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Lari wrote:

Why?

I think you can blame them for stuff like Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach but how are they responsible for nu metal?

I'd say he blames them for nu-metal because most rap-rock bands in the late 1990s onward sounded like KoRn (whom I'll mention because they seem to be the "poster band" for nu-metal) musically with rapped vocals.

Of course, RATM and other rap-rock bands that released their full length debuts in the early to mid 1990s didn't sound like KoRn musically at all. Even though KoRn is not rap-rock (they do have about an EP or so worth of songs with some rapped vocals, but no predominantly rap-rock albums), most bands that rapped over heavy guitar riffs did musically sound like KoRn with rapped vocals, hence the association between rap-rock and nu-metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Funny you mention Korn because I almost said that's who I would blame for nu-metal.Ā  I just blame Rage for the entire rap-metal phenomenon and Korn for nu-metal but I can sort of see/hear the connection between RATM to Korn to nu-metal.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Regardless, I agree with nevermore:

Quote :
I thought the first two albums were good. But after those I got bored with them pretty quick.

RATM albums get real samey real fast and I also get tired of Zack's constant political tirades in every song.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Bulls on Parade and Guerrilla Radio are cool songs, thats about the extent of my experience with them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Never liked'em, when it comes to political 90s aggro rock I'll take Warrior Soul any day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Aaron_D
Metal student
Metal student
Aaron_D

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 8:17 pm

I have the first three albums and I enjoy them. Evil Empire is probably my favorite. When I think Nu-Metal, it's more the Korn/Limp Bizcuit/Distrubed etc ... That whole Family Values tours that they used to do with Ice Cube. All that said, Rage is the only band I ever really go back to. The band as a whole were really excellent. Tom Morello's guitar playing, in my mind, sort of kept them separate from the rest of the nu-metal bands.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Aaron_D wrote:
I have the first three albums and I enjoy them. Evil Empire is probably my favorite. Ā When I think Nu-Metal, it's more the Korn/Limp Bizcuit/Distrubed etc ... That whole Family Values tours that they used to do with Ice Cube. Ā All that said, Rage is the only band I ever really go back to. Ā  The band as a whole were really excellent. Tom Morello's guitar playing, in my mind, sort of kept them separate from the rest of the nu-metal bands.

I agree with that last sentence.Ā  I think that's what keeps me coming back to RATM as well.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 pm

I have the first 2 albums, but I can't remember the last time I played them I just don't have an interest in that type of music anymore. If it were still 2002 and I had less choices, I would probably still play them regularly. But now, with more choices and less interest to revisit that period, they just collect dust.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Lari wrote:

I blame Faith No More and the Anthrax/Public Enemy collaboration for nu-metal.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 am

I like a song here and there from them. They have a cool funk to their sound. Nothing I listen to on a regular basis though.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3179

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 9:11 am

Wow - glad this wasn't a POLL -
who's better - them or Suicidal Tendencies ?
Rage - would of been run out of town ! LOL
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 9:42 am

I've never been a fan much of the whole rap-rock genre or of Zack's political rants, but I do like a handful of songs by them. If I had their entire catalog laid out in front of me, I could probably cherry-pick a decent comp of Rage tunes.

Tom Morrello's multiple appearances on the old "That Metal Show" really helped change my opinion of him and by association, the band.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 am

nevermore wrote:

Scott Ian blames "I'm The Man" and the Anthrax/Public Enemy collab for it too. I read an interview somewhere years ago where he said "If I could have known what it was going to inspire, we never would have done it." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 am

Required Fields wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Lari wrote:

Why?

I'd say he blames them for nu-metal because most rap-rock bands in the late 1990s onward sounded like KoRn (whom I'll mention because they seem to be the "poster band" for nu-metal) musically with rapped vocals.

Of course, RATM and other rap-rock bands that released their full length debuts in the early to mid 1990s didn't sound like KoRn musically at all. Even though KoRn is not rap-rock (they do have about an EP or so worth of songs with some rapped vocals, but no predominantly rap-rock albums), most bands that rapped over heavy guitar riffs did musically sound like KoRn with rapped vocals, hence the association between rap-rock and nu-metal.

This is an entirely inaccurate description of that style of music. Korn sounds like Korn. The only other band that remotely sounded like them was a band called Juice, which is a band formed after SexArt broke up, a band that featured Jonathan Davis in its ranks. Nothing ever became of Juice, though.

Beyond that, I can't name one band that really played a style of music similar to Korn. Certainly no rap-rock bands, then or now, and I love that style of music.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
nevermore wrote:

Scott Ian blames "I'm The Man" and the Anthrax/Public Enemy collab for it too. I read an interview somewhere years ago where he said "If I could have known what it was going to inspire, we never would have done it." Laughing very hard

Run DMC were the first.

Arguably, "Walk This Way" probably had more influence here than any of the other rap/rock collabs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine   Rage Against The Machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rage Against The Machine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next