Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1

Go down 
+13
ohwellmonkey
the sentinel
Smindas
XYZ
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
tohostudios
SideShowDisaSter
Black Coffee
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
Schbopo
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Empty
PostSubject: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 pm

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/298664/rage-against-the-machine-beat-the-x-factor-simon-cowellmiley-cyrus/

Quote :
The "Christmas number one"--the song that tops the charts at the end of the calendar year--is a big deal in Britain, and for the last few years it's been all but guaranteed that the honor will go to the most recent X Factor winner's debut single. (Last year's X Factor champ, Alexandra Burke, in fact had one of the biggest U.K. Christmas number ones of all time.) But this year, 2009 X Factor winner Joe McElderry (and X Factor honcho Simon Cowell) will have to settle for spot number two--as Joe's single, a cover of Miley Cyrus's "The Climb," has been trumped by a 17-year-old Rage Against The Machine song. It all started with a grassroots Facebook campaign, "Rage Against The X Factor," organized by RATM fan Jon Morter in a protest effort to stop Simon Cowell's empire from dominating the music industry--since Simon is the main X Factor judge, and X Factor winner McElderry just signed to Simon's SyCo record label. Eventually some big-name rockers--including the Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, Sir Paul McCartney, and Rage's own Tom Morello--pledged their support to the campaign, the goal of which was to make RATM's 1992 political anthem "Killing In The Name" Britain's Christmas number one, instead of the expected X Factor single.

And, incredibly, this campaign WORKED.

Yes, the official numbers are in, and "Killing In The Name" has topped the U.K. singles chart with 500,000 copies sold, compared to number two entry Joe McElderry's sales of 450,000. For the first time in five years, an X Factor champion has not snagged Britain's coveted Christmas number one spot, thanks to Morter's Facebook campaign.

Upon hearing this crazy news, Rage Against The Machine (who recently vowed that they would play a 2010 "victory party to end all victory parties" free concert in Britain if "Killing" beat "The Climb") posted a statement on the band's official Christmas campaign website, ratm4xmas.co.uk, saying: "WE DID IT! RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE IS XMAS NUMBER ONE. We've shown that we can make a difference and that you don't have a right to Number One just because Simon Cowell says so, especially with a bad cover! Finally I would like to say thank you to all of you, we've raised £64,726.00 for [homeless charity] Shelter at the time of writing this, the difference that this will make to peoples lives is truly amazing. We gotta take the power back - Rage Against The Machine - Merry Christmas."

As for Joe McElderry, he's probably not too pleased to lose to "Killing In The Name." Joe recently told British newspaper The Sun that he hated the RATM song, saying: "They can't be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like. It's dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch? I wouldn't buy it. It's a nought out of 10 from me. Simon Cowell wouldn't like it. They wouldn't get through to Boot Camp on The X Factor--they're just shouting."

McElderry added in that Sun interview: "I think people are jumping on this to have a go at Simon and The X Factor rather than me. But Simon gives people a shot...I will be really disappointed if [my single] doesn't go to number one after all the effort I've put in to this and winning the show."

However, today McElderry graciously told press: "Fair play to the guys who have organized the Facebook campaign--it's been exciting to be part of a much-hyped battle and they definitely deserve congratulations. This time last year I never thought for one minute that I'd win The X Factor, never mind about having a debut single out, so I'm just delighted to be in the charts."

Meanwhile, "Rage Against The X Factor" spearheader Morter is still in shock over his little Facebook campaign's history-making success. He told NME: "It's crazy, I can't believe it...It's been absolutely mad, this whole thing. To be Christmas number one is insane, isn't it? It just goes to show if you use social networking in the right way, you can do it."

Take that, Cowell!

I already hate this McElderry loser. Anyone who thinks a cover of some god-awful Miley Cyrus song has priority over Rage needs to have their brain examined.

The best part: They donated all the profits to homeless shelters. I love RATM. headbanger
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Killing in the name of is one of RATM's BEST songs!!!! Great to see it at # 1 after all these years AND it beat Mr American Idol's chosen song!!!!!!

To Simon, it's a big "F U I won't do what you told me"

RATM's S/T is going on the playlist tomorrow (GREAT ALBUM!!!)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 10:46 pm

I have no use for Rage Against the Machine, but I thought this whole grass-roots idea was cool as hell.

Maybe we oughta start a similar movement on this side of the ocean next year towards the end of "American Idol."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 10:59 pm

But what song/band will we use?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Required Fields wrote:

Creeping Death?
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Creeping Death?

So let it be written!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 5:27 am

Black Coffee wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Creeping Death?

So let it be written!

So let it be done!

To the band mentioned, I can't stand RATM. Something about their music just makes me cringe. I don't know if it's the "rapped" style of vocals, the actual SOUND of his voice, or what. That and the guitar tone always sounded "washed out" to me. Like there wasn't enough "UMPH" in it.

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 7:43 am

*dances* I knew they would win!! I love RATM and they are such amazing people. Smurf Simon Cowell!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:27 am

I love Killing In The Name!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:05 am

tohostudios wrote:
I love Killing In The Name!

Some of those the work forces are the same that wore crosses
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:28 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Killing in the name of is one of RATM's BEST songs!!!! Great to see it at # 1 after all these years AND it beat Mr American Idol's chosen song!!!!!!

To Simon, it's a big "F U I won't do what you told me"

RATM's S/T is going on the playlist tomorrow (GREAT ALBUM!!!)
ALWAYS LOVED RATM! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:23 am

Not much of a Rage fan, but I'm for anything that knocks "pop" music to the wayside and gives a finger to Simon Cowell's hit-factory. Good for them.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:34 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Not much of a Rage fan, but I'm for anything that knocks "pop" music to the wayside and gives a finger to Simon Cowell's hit-factory. Good for them.

I'm with you on that one. Chalk one up for rock n' roll! Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 778825
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 11:42 am

This is why us British kids rock.

Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 MnoAeeo
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Smindas wrote:
This is why us British kids rock.

Now if you could just do somthing about Sharon Osbourne and stop spelling color with a "u", you'd be alright. Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_wink

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm

^^ But the "u" is meant to be there Razz You just leave it out 'cos it's easier for you.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:35 am

'Colour' is of French origin I believe, so it makes sense to have the 'u' there. It's a nod to its own etymology. I do apologise for Sharon Osbourne though.

Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 MnoAeeo
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 pm

This is cool on so many levels!!!
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 5:15 pm

i like the fact, that rage is still doing it for the charities.. shows that they mean what they say. (or said).
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 pm

I saw this as a part of Verizon news earlier. Thought it was pretty weird. Why is it such a big deal to have the #1 song for Christmas?

Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 685534
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I saw this as a part of Verizon news earlier. Thought it was pretty weird. Why is it such a big deal to have the #1 song for Christmas?

Cuz' it's f*cking RAGE, MAN!!!! Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 604261
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:06 am

FU Simon the UK won't do what you told them!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:10 am

Rap metal...Interesting Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 11840
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:18 am

I think their best album is their first one I used to listen to them alot back in the late 90s
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:24 am

Schbopo wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Cuz' it's f*cking RAGE, MAN!!!! Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 604261

And usually we have utter garbage at #1 all year round espcially at christmas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1   Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rage Against The Machine-UK Christmas #1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next