Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?

Go down 
+14
SAHB Healer
sam
GrandNational
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
krokus
kmorg
jstate
TheGooch
Stender
MoonChild
Trial by Fire
martinsane
pastorbrad
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 2:03 am

I am not the only person to hold this view, but my belief is that in the mid to late 80's a revival was going on in So. Calif.
It involved all the Sanctuary fellowships and other congregations that emergred to minister to not only the local metal musicians, but the countless others that came to the region to become rock stars.

The amount of prayer that I was involved with in parking lots from on The Strip to San Pedro was substantial enough to make it the emphasis of why I went there in the first place and not merely the music or what band(s) were playing.

Figure that I am still doing the same thing but in a different capacity twenty-something years later...God definitily has used metal in my life, although I prefer to say thet God has used me through metal for His glory.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 2:59 am

Stender wrote:
ha...yeshuapalooza! brilliant name!

More ways to see Jesus as a product. Yeshuapalozza. Please shoot me, it's got to be the lamest marketing strategy I've heard in a long while.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 12:26 pm

Metal has been used by God in my life long before I became a Christian. Now matter how bad things got in Intermediate school (5-6) and Middle school (7-8] and they did, metal music was always there to occupy my mind and take me away from the cares of the world. After I became a Christian I thought that I would have to give up metal forever, but I discovered so many Chritian bands out there to give me my fix. Later I started listening to secular as well and realized that as long as I didn't take the lyrics to heart I could listen to both. However, if my dream to front a band ever comes true I will want to do it to his glory (now not every song will be a praise & worship or a hell fire and brimstone one, but I will not be ashamed to put my faith into the lyrics). Music in general and metal in particular is one of the things I'm most thankful to God for.

Quote :
Yes he has. In the same way that Santa himself, leprechauns, and centaurs with their self written songs have touched me. Seriously, unless it says "God" in the credits, he played no part in its creation. Someone wrote those songs and deserve the credit for it. People are too modest and need to take full credit for what they accomplish.

First of all, this was a disrespectful and smart a** comment and was totally unnessessary. Second, to us Christians, all things were created by God according to his perfect will. God created man and gave man the gift of music, so when music is made it is either directly from God (i.e. inspiration) or is made possible by God. Next time just say you don't believe God had any part in it and keep the smart a** comments to yourself please. Us believers will be respectful to you as long as you give us the same courtesy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 6:36 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Metal has been used by God in my life long before I became a Christian. Now matter how bad things got in Intermediate school (5-6) and Middle school (7-8] and they did, metal music was always there to occupy my mind and take me away from the cares of the world. After I became a Christian I thought that I would have to give up metal forever, but I discovered so many Chritian bands out there to give me my fix. Later I started listening to secular as well and realized that as long as I didn't take the lyrics to heart I could listen to both. However, if my dream to front a band ever comes true I will want to do it to his glory (now not every song will be a praise & worship or a hell fire and brimstone one, but I will not be ashamed to put my faith into the lyrics). Music in general and metal in particular is one of the things I'm most thankful to God for.

Quote :
Yes he has. In the same way that Santa himself, leprechauns, and centaurs with their self written songs have touched me. Seriously, unless it says "God" in the credits, he played no part in its creation. Someone wrote those songs and deserve the credit for it. People are too modest and need to take full credit for what they accomplish.

First of all, this was a disrespectful and smart a** comment and was totally unnessessary. Second, to us Christians, all things were created by God according to his perfect will. God created man and gave man the gift of music, so when music is made it is either directly from God (i.e. inspiration) or is made possible by God. Next time just say you don't believe God had any part in it and keep the smart a** comments to yourself please. Us believers will be respectful to you as long as you give us the same courtesy.

DB, the question was if God had used metal in anyone's life, and his answer was "No" in his own way. No need to get judgmental here. We're all free to express ourselves on this board as we wish without having someone shake a finger at us if we write something that you might not agree with. How you feel about God is not the same as others feel about Him, and we need to respect that.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 8:58 pm

GrandNational wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Quote :

DB, the question was if God had used metal in anyone's life, and his answer was "No" in his own way. No need to get judgmental here. We're all free to express ourselves on this board as we wish without having someone shake a finger at us if we write something that you might not agree with. How you feel about God is not the same as others feel about Him, and we need to respect that.

All I am saying is that there are better ways to make a statement other than mocking the question. A simple "I don't believe in God" or "I don't believe that God uses music" would suffice. Being a smarta** is uncalled for and unnecessary. I'm not judging anybody, I'm just asking for a little respect for me and fellow believers. In the year (almost) I've been on this board, I have yet to see a fellow believer mock anybody's belief here. Respect is a two way tunnel.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 9:23 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Quote :

All I am saying is that there are better ways to make a statement other than mocking the question. A simple "I don't believe in God" or "I don't believe that God uses music" would suffice. Being a smarta** is uncalled for and unnecessary. I'm not judging anybody, I'm just asking for a little respect for me and fellow believers. In the year (almost) I've been on this board, I have yet to see a fellow believer mock anybody's belief here. Respect is a two way tunnel.

I don't come here to look for any respect from anybody who
participates. This is a metal board with different personalities and
opinions who express themselves in different ways, so don't let anyone
hurt your feelings. I don't care if I offend anyone here myself. It wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't step on each others toes from time to time, intentionally or unintentionally.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 9:50 pm

I know that God used Stryper in my life.When I first became a christian,they were the only metal band left in my life until I started realizing there was more christian bands out there.I dont think that christians have to listen to only christian music but at the time its what I needed to do.Stryper still hold a special place in my heart.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:14 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Stender wrote:

More ways to see Jesus as a product. Yeshuapalozza. Please shoot me, it's got to be the lamest marketing strategy I've heard in a long while.

First I was joking.

second, you are sadly mistaken if you think jesus can be marketed. The crooked figurehead tv evangelists that try to do it are not sincere, even a non believer should be able to figure that out. pisses me off how true believers get lumped into the same group as cheesedicks like that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Quote :
It wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't step on each others toes from time to time

OK, well, in that case... you're kinda being a total jerk, man.

You're right, that was fun.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 pm

Stender wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Stender wrote:

First I was joking.

second, you are sadly mistaken if you think jesus can be marketed. The crooked figurehead tv evangelists that try to do it are not sincere, even a non believer should be able to figure that out. pisses me off how true believers get lumped into the same group as cheesedicks like that.

The good thing is that the campus ministry seems to have gotten much more content oriented in the last few years than it was when the "Yeshuapalooza" name was coined for the annual concert. It's true that years ago their newsletters etc. were built around all sorts of internet based psuedo-scientific urban legends that superficially touted Christian traditions. Insulted the intelligence of believers and seculars alike. You're both right, it was a terrible approach. Now they seem much better, but retain the Yeshuapalooza name because it's a popular event with a long history.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Stender wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Stender wrote:

First I was joking.

Thanks for proving my point. I was just pointing out how some people or groups have cheapened Christ to nothing more than a product like the tv evangelists or major festival circuits have.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
It wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't step on each others toes from time to time

OK, well, in that case... you're kinda being a total jerk, man.

You're right, that was fun.

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 25679
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 3:28 am

Its funny how religion and politics can get folks all lathered up. Both topics are a black hole with endless debates and speculation and no matter how heated the debates get no one is going to be swayed in their views.

Just an opinion from someone who is heavily informed, wordly wise, still collecting information/facts not theories or speculations and who is still what most would call a "non-beleiver" or maybe "he of little faith".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 5:46 am

LETS keep it civil here, and respect all beliefs.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:

Thats all I was asking for. As far as debate over religion, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Two things I try to avoid because of how heated the argument gets is politics and religion. Everytime I've done so it has ended in disaster or came close to going there before I stopped it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 2:53 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:

I second that. If anyone come here looking for trouble, unintentional or not, just keep moving.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
DenimAndLeather wrote:

Thats all I was asking for. As far as debate over religion, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Two things I try to avoid because of how heated the argument gets is politics and religion. Everytime I've done so it has ended in disaster or came close to going there before I stopped it.

I know what you mean,thats why I live by this rule:
Theres two things I dont discuss with friends-Politics and Religion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2