Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?

Go down 
+14
SAHB Healer
sam
GrandNational
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
krokus
kmorg
jstate
TheGooch
Stender
MoonChild
Trial by Fire
martinsane
pastorbrad
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad
Metal novice
Metal novice
pastorbrad

Number of posts : 7

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Empty
PostSubject: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 pm

I love to throw this question out there once in a while, because I'm always amazed at the AWESOME stories that I here... just wondering...

Do you have a story of a time that God used rock/metal music (secular or Christian) to touch your heart and draw you closer to Him? A song, a lyric, a concert experience (I share one of mine later in this thread), a video... anything?

Metal Blessings!
Pastor Brad
guitarjams.net
www.guitarjams.net

Last edited by pastorbrad on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 12:15 am

NOPE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 12:44 am

Don't think so...
Back to top Go down
Trial by Fire
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 1:24 am

Yes he has. In the same way that Santa himself, leprechauns, and centaurs with their self written songs have touched me. Seriously, unless it says "God" in the credits, he played no part in its creation. Someone wrote those songs and deserve the credit for it. People are too modest and need to take full credit for what they accomplish.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 am

Of course, anything music is Godly for me! God helps me unwind listening to Heavy Metal.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 1:29 am

Absolutley man.

This kid that started coming too my church felt like he had to get rid of all his secular music so afterwords he was having a tough time getting a hold of some edifying music. I decided to start making him white metal compilations and he has been totally blessed which makes me feel good too. Its cool when you can use something you are interested in to glorify god.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad
Metal novice
Metal novice
pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks guys... God uses everything (Rom. 8:28) Cool story Stender... thanks for sharing bro...
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 5:54 pm

no but when i heard hells bells by Ac/dc i suddenly feel like i want to worship satan. not that i would but its an evil song
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:07 pm

To me what makes music so great is the inspiration that it can bring in many forms. How so many memories or feelings are tied to songs or albums. Songs that you don't just hear but feel.

Many years ago a friend of mine had brain cancer. She was 19 and fought it for two years. She never once got down and had unbelievable spirit for someone in her circumstance. You couldn't help but be stronger in her presence. It was like a life force coming from her. She seemed like she was doing so well and then one day suddenly she wasn't. It was a complete shock when she died - even though we were prepared for the possiblity.

I had a lot of videotapes from various things with her on them. Parties, hanging out, stupid movies we would shoot for a stage directing class we took. Needless to say I couldn't watch them for months. Her sister then started expressing a desire to see them. I kept putting off editing them together because it was just too hard to bring myself to do it. One of the things that had happened after she died was the group of friends drifted apart. I don't know if we all reminded us of her or what, but we just all seemed to go seperate ways rather quickly.

On the one year anniversary of her death I went to see a mutual friend we had just to see if she might help me put the tape together for the family. She gave me the brush off and as I was driving home lost in thought I put a cassette tape in. It just happened to be Bang Tango which I hadn't played in years and really didn't care too much for to that point. I think it may have been sitting under the seat the whole time in fact. The song that came on was "Just For You".

I still get Christmas cards from her sister and mom after almost fifteen years. And every October 9 I always put that song on, watch the tape, and remember.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 10:53 pm

no comment

Last edited by detuned on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 5:07 am

It's not spam. Pastor Brad is a friend many of us know from the CMR. Show the man some respect!

On topic: Music has blessed me in so many ways, and it's no secret that Christian metal was a large part of my life from the get go. Stryper, Barren Cross, Jerusalem and many, many others made me realize that God can use anything to reach to the lost.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 7:31 am

I love white metal but dont care about the lyrics. Like NSBM too and dont care about the lirics. For me its all about the songs, not the lyrics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 am

There's one little weak story that when we were in primary school (age 4-12) we had these holy retreats to go to, a priest would come from afar and talk to us, well I can safely say I remember not one word that poor fella said but he did however have cassettes with him and one of them he played was by Stryper, it's the only thing I remember (ohh and I wanted to steal it) but this was '80's Ireland so that made the whole thing even stranger.

I know, another piece of useless information from your drunken mammy shaggin' lepechaun.

off topic - is this the same Pastor Brad that shreds ? I'm not on the CMR so I don't know.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 7:54 am

Yes, the very one!

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 8:20 am

kmorg wrote:
Yes, the very one!

Shredtastic, 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 am

kmorg wrote:
It's not spam. Pastor Brad is a friend many of us know from the CMR. Show the man some respect!

post edited. Didn't mean to offend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:35 pm

If I remember right PastorBrad used to post at the old board too.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Quote :
(ohh and I wanted to steal it)

lol!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 5:55 pm

I don't have a particular story to tell, but I am sure He has touched my life through Heavy Metal by placing it there for when I have truly needed it to get through harsh/dark times in my life. Peace.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Nope. Metal has provided nothing but entertainment for me and that's that.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 6:04 pm

other then make my life better with the power of distorted power cords? no that know of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 6:57 pm

My thoughts on this are slightly off the subject, so I'll start another thread for people who are interested rather than going off point. I did a search but surprisingly nothing there.
Back to top Go down
pastorbrad
Metal novice
Metal novice
pastorbrad

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks Kmorg bro...

Nope--not trying to spam anyone---just an honest question--Here's an example from my own life how God used Metal -- Asctually a Dio Concert to grab my heart...

I'll make it real brief...

I saw Dio on the Holy Diver tour... He was doing Heaven and Hell... the band "broke it down" in the middle... just did a bass/drum groove thing and Ronnie told a story over it... He talked about a "vision" he had... it was of two ships... a black one and a white one... the black ship below him came to him and said, "Come with me, and I will give you desire..."... Then the music changed a bit--the keys came in with this heavenly sounding thing---and Ronnie said, "then the little white ship up above me came and said, 'Come with me cause I know just what to do." THEN Ronnie said, "But I said to the little white ship, 'Go away! Because I'm going to burn in Hell with (and he pointed to the crowd) all of you and you and you!" And the Crowd when nuts!

Now--call that all just stage show stuff or whatever you like..

But I had enough knowledge about God and his Word (even though i was not living for God at all at the moment) know --"No way dude... I ain't goin there!"

I didn't fall on my face then and ther and recomit my life to Christ--but I DID have a very sobering moment--on that I obviously never forgot...the moment got me thinking -- and it set my life in a direction that ultimately let to a total surrender to Jesus as Lord and Savior...

So--that's where I'm coming from when I ask that question...I'm actually writing a book, THE METAL DEVOTIONAL" it's packed with stories from musicians, and fans all over the world--about how God used rock/metal music to touch their lives... God's just awesome!

Heavy Metal Shredder Blessings!
Pastor Brad
www.guitarjams.net
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:28 pm

To me using Metal as a devotional tool makes total sense. I mean Churches from way back have made hymns and scripture more accessible to their parishioners by setting it to contemporary music. From the Swedish traditionals that I grew up with, to African American gospel, to Catholic folk. I guess Metal having the rebelious past that it has might make it more threatening to traditionalists; but I personally don't see a problem myself. The local campus ministry here has put on a "Yeshuapalooza" every year, for 10 years. I've seen some killer metal bands there (kinda lame recently though).
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 12:04 am

ha...yeshuapalooza! brilliant name!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?   Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Curious--Has God used Heavy Metal in your life?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next