Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Morbid Angel appreciation thread

Go down 
+7
sovdat
Thrasher73
mc666
AchrisK
Shiney
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Morbid Angel appreciation thread Empty
PostSubject: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 6:24 pm

I have been a fan of these guys since the early 90s. I think Trey is one of the most amazing guitarists and original guitarists out there. Altars Of Madness is just thrash death o mania. I love it. Blessed are the Sick is my favorite. One of the first Death metal bands to impliment keyboards and classical guitars. I have everything by them A to H. I have not been disappointed by one release. From the ultra fast stuff, to the slow doom sludge fest material. One thing that always amazed me is the drummer Pete Sandoval has played for Terrorizer, even before Morbid Angel. He said he never played double bass until he had to learn to play double for Morbid Angel.

Last edited by on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 7:05 pm

I can't get past their lyrics. Usually it isn't a problem for me, but M.A. can sometimes be a bit, shall we say, over the top.

Musically, Blessed Are The Sick is just wicked. Brutal, semi-technical, excellent riffs. The lyrics just prevent me from enjoying it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 7:29 pm

Thats cool. I can understand how the lyrics can offend. I read on Wikipedia that Trey does not have such hatred towards Christians anymore. He has chosen to move in a new direction with the lyrics. The most of the new stuff is mostly HP Lovecraft inspired. I have never asked him about his beliefs.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Never cared for them. Blessed Are the Sick was cool, but I agree with
Sideshow, the lyrics suck. I've just never been a huge death metal fan.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 8:20 pm

I got a cd of theirs years ago (mainly because I had read ELIJAH BLUE from DEADSY was a huge fan of their and I love DEADSY) anyway...I hated it and hocked it almost immeadiately. The music was okay...a bit too fast and loud for me...but the lyrics and vox were ick....I just am not too big into the death metal thing....Thrash I love...but not much heavier than that.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 10:20 pm

Never really heard much from them. I think their reputation probably kept me from really looking into them.

ack
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 12:17 am

Blessed are the Sick is my favorite death metal album of all time. it's a classic!

AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 12:26 am

I'll have to check them out.

ack
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 12:54 am

I had Blessed are the Sick and traded it,I didnt even listen to it all the way through.I'll take Cannibal Corpse any day over MA.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 9:48 am

You know, preferences are a trip. I mean Suffocation are often thought of as the kings of death metal, but I tend to like Malevolent Creation better. I do like Suffo, but just like MC more.

ack
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 10:34 am

A great death metal band! Among my favourites, though I was a bit dissapointed after seeing them live!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 am

I really, really like Eternal by Malevolent Creation. That is such a great album. I like Morbid Angel so much I guess because of the guitar playing. I used to think my own guitar playing was alot like his, until I sat down and really studied his playing. My playing is far from it. The guys is amazing. If you listen to "Where the Slime Live", in the final outro solo, he does sweep picking, instead of picking the notes though he taps out the notes. I have never freakin heard anyone else ever do that. I had no idea it could be even be done.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah, sweep picking is a killer technique. I have a John Petrucci guitar video where he kinda teaches how to do it.

Eternal is the first MC I heard, and I agree, it's an amazing album!

ack
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 1:05 pm

The only Malevolent Creation album I've heard was Stillborn. Decent enough, but didn't WOW me. Course, it's been some 13-14 years since I last heard it, so my opinion could have changed.

I've been told that Stillborn wasn't their best album.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Many say the first two MC were best (Ten Commandments and Retribution), but I have never liked them as much as stuff around Eternal, or even more recent stuff like Envenomed. There have been singer changes over time, but I am not sure who they were, or who sang when. I should know it, but I don't.

I haven't heard Stillborn.

ack
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 5:31 pm

the only thing i don't like about MCs Eternal album, is the song They Breed. that whole song, including the use of the word "nigger", is just pathetic racist crap. sours the whole album for me.

Brett Hoffman sung on the first three albums & also Envenomed (my fave MC). the other singers were Phil Fasciana, & Kyle Symons. i think Hoffman will be on the next one too.

Morbid Angel is still better.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 6:36 am

i only have gateways to annihilation and it is good but by no means are they a band i call my favourite. now cannibal corpse that is a band!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm not a huge death metal guy but I have to say that Morbid Angel are an amazing live band. I went to a M.A. show with my brother back in '90 or '91 because the guy he was supposed to go with bailed on him at the last minute, and even though I walked in there with a 'tude like "this is going to suck," they blew the roof off the joint! It was in a tiny little night club in northern NJ and I will never forget how Pete Sandoval's drum kit was so huge it took up almost the entire stage. The rest of the band had no room to move around!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 4:00 pm

Blessed and Covenant are classics. The rest I can live without pretty much.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Covenant is a classic. Domination was another favorite of mine.
I tried, I really tried to get into the Steve Tucker era albums, but I just couldn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Morbid Angel appreciation thread   Morbid Angel appreciation thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Morbid Angel appreciation thread
Page 1 of 1