Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Origins of Heavy metal

Go down 
+7
Tall Tyrion
XYZ
Velvet Creation
scottmitchell74
Wargod
kmorg
manny
11 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Origins of Heavy metal Empty
PostSubject: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Who was truly the first heavy metal? Should Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, and Mountain be considered metal? Should early rock acts like the Kinks, Cream, and Jeff beck be included when talking about its history and their influence on the genre, or should it be ignored and does it truly begin with Sabbath, Purple, and Zeppelin? And do you think Jimi Hendrix should be considered one of the pioneers of heavy Metal? what are thoughts? IMO I believe that Jimi Hendrix should be considered the first true metal act, " Are You Experinced?" may be the heavist that was released during that point in time(1967) heavier than Cream, Jeff Beck, and the debut releases of Black Sabbath (1970), Led Zeppelin (1969) , and Deep Purple (1968) would follow later, opinions please
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Didn't we already have this thread? Anyway, I've always considered Iron Butterfly to be the first metal band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Didn't we already have this thread? Anyway, I've always considered Iron Butterfly to be the first metal band.

Dude, I am sure we have this thread but I only joined up days ago, plus it is a never ending debate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I was just warning you because the evil Eyesore will come up and insult you for not using the search function. Be prepared.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 3:55 am

Yeah, and I'll insult you for not using the proer sections of the board. Is this a review? NO!! So don't use the review section of the board for this! I'm moving this thread.

Here is the original thread:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/origins-of-heavy-metal-t5919.htm?highlight=origins

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:24 am

ALL things flow from Robert Johnson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 am

SAXON1500 wrote:

and a little later...Charlie Christian, Louis Jordan, T-Bone Walker, etc.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 10:11 am

This has been an on going debate for years let this individuals posting this have there say. Each of us may have a different response as to who started the heavy metal movement.
Either way enjoy it!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 10:16 am

Chuck Berry
Back to top Go down
Velvet Creation
Metal student
Metal student
Velvet Creation

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 10:27 am

either Iron Maiden or Metallica lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 10:42 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Chuck Berry

Good point, but most of the things that we associate with Chuck Berry were being done 10 years earlier by Louis Jordan (check out the track "Ain't That Just Like A Woman" which contains the same type of guitar licks).
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:05 am

SAXON1500 wrote:

Yep

Johnson ---> Clapton, Page, Beck ---> May, Van Halen ---> Pretty much all other metal guitarists

Heck, you could say all things flow from Beethoven.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:21 am

SAXON1500 wrote:

Teh Sax has spoken. 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:43 am

The proto-metal bands of the late 60's/early 70's were the roots of heavy metal IMO. Metal basically grew out of bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Scorpions, UFO, Steppenwolf, etc. Many of these bands started with a sound that was a combination of the 60's rock bands and some other roots. Zeppelin had a big blues influence. Scorpions early stuff had a mixture of Jimi Hendrix and psychedelic. Some have even suggested songs like "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles were at the roots of heavy metal. Many credit Steppenwolf with coming up with the term "heavy metal".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:48 am

Whatever your opinion tells you. I personally think it came from the heavy sound of led zeppelins tracks. man, you could almost consider some zeppelin songs a form of doom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:48 am

The term "Heavy Metal" actually comes from William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch (that's where Steppenwolf got it from).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 am

Iron Butterfly's first album was called Heavy, which I thilnk was the first time anyone associated the sound with the word.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:35 pm

detuned wrote:
The term "Heavy Metal" actually comes from William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch (that's where Steppenwolf got it from).

Yeah and Mike Saunders and Lester Bangs were the first guys to refer to the music as Heavy Metal in music reviews.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Consider me properly chastised   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:14 pm

kmorg wrote:
Yeah, and I'll insult you for not using the proer
sections of the board. Is this a review? NO!! So don't use the review
section of the board for this! I'm moving this thread.

Here is the original thread:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/origins-of-heavy-metal-t5919.htm?highlight=origins
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:19 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:

True Robert Johnson influenced Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck etc,
interesting you feel to really get to the history of metal you have to
start before the beginning to the roots not just of metal but
rock 'n' roll, to its original sourse the blues. Thank you for your
opinion and also for reminding to dig out my Robert Johnson boxset.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:56 am

the only mountain song i have heard is on guitar hero three so i cant claim to know a great deal about them but they sounded real heavy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy metal   Origins of Heavy metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Origins of Heavy metal
Page 1 of 1