Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?

Go down 
+11
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Required Fields
the sentinel
mez
XYZ
scottmitchell74
DeathCult
A Handful of Wayne
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Empty
PostSubject: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:34 pm

Well it seems to be getting closer and closer everyday with the likely hood of cds almost becoming a thing of the past. I dont think that they will go away 100% because vinyl is still around and making a comeback and there still are people out there like me and most of you here that enjoy having the a physical product rather than just having some file that can be deleted by the push of a button.

But what do you think will happen to the artwork if cd's finally disappear? Will there just be a front cover? And if so, do you think it will even matter since the picture will be so small you cant even see the details?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:35 pm

If that happens, I think Ill finally snap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:37 pm

Cds will never die.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:37 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 pm

I dont think they'll die out for good. But I doubt they will ever re-release anything again after a while. Which means whatever is rare now will be rare forever as far as physically owning it goes.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I dont think they'll die out for good. But I doubt they will ever re-release anything again after a while. Which means whatever is rare now will be rare forever as far as physically owning it goes.

I really think that would depend, because reissue labels seem to manage to get ahold of alot of titles. Certain ones I most certainly agree with you, but others I have held out hope for.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 pm

Im still waiting for a release of the a Grave Digger album that they put out when they shortened their name to Digger called Stronger Than Ever. I bought the record because I bought a record player that converts to mp3 but I must be doing something wrong cause I cant get it to work right. And then to make it look good id have to make a case up for it and everything and thats too much trouble lol.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:56 pm

I actually think the music I'd be interested in will always have a limited amount of CDs released. I believe that will always appeal to enough of us to make it worth while.

The Metal underground is unique and picky/specific in its tastes and how we like to listen to our music.

Viva la CD!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 pm

CDs will be around for a long time to come. But I do see them becoming more of a specialty item, like vinyl. But I think many bands will simply stop putting music out on CDs eventually.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:03 pm

And yet no one has answered the question. lol What if cds were gone? What would happen with the artwork?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:06 pm

And yet no one has answered the question. lol What if cds were gone? What would happen with the artwork?

Youd get a cover picture to identify the album, and thatd be about it, most likely. But never doubt the power of the almighty dollar, Im sure there'd be some tie in where you could purchase bonus artwork that they wouldve used for the cd release.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 pm

They'll sell the artwork online. Actually, I think they're doing it already.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:10 pm

Quote :

That's just it....I think artwork is big for the METAL fan more than any other genre and that's why I don't think CD (or some physical release) will ever go away completely)
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:11 pm

To use Nine Inch Nails for example. Trent released a free CD this year to anyone, they could download it and it had artwork in it. He later then made the CD availible to purchase in complete CD format with artwork and all, however it came out much later and obviously was not free. However the free version is still availible. So even if CD go away, I think we will still be able to purchase these files with the artowrk there.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :

That's just it....I think artwork is big for the METAL fan more than any other genre and that's why I don't think CD (or some physical release) will ever go away completely)

That's a great point, Scott. If you (or anybody) look at the covers of albums from other genres of music, it's mostly just pictures of the artists (especially if they are women b/c they are usually pretty and sex sells), where Metal and Hard Rock are much more cerebral and conceptual when it comes to covers. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 2:18 am

xyz wrote:

Didn't Radiohead do that with their most recent album?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 2:27 am

*twitches*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 3:13 am

Maybe 8-tracks will make a comeback.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Im still waiting for a release of the a Grave Digger album that they put out when they shortened their name to Digger called Stronger Than Ever. I bought the record because I bought a record player that converts to mp3 but I must be doing something wrong cause I cant get it to work right. And then to make it look good id have to make a case up for it and everything and thats too much trouble lol.

I have the art and songs already in digital format if you want...

If cds go away Ill adjust to not having the art but wouldnt really like it.

Alex

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 pm

I'd hate it at first but learn to live with it, I love my music too much to do anything less. However, I agree that it probably won't happen completly.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Im still waiting for a release of the a Grave Digger album that they put out when they shortened their name to Digger called Stronger Than Ever.

Retrospect Records reissued that "Digger" album on CD a few years back.... I think Ult has that version, cuz it's listed on his site. But since it's not really a highly in-demand title, that'd probably be the one and only time it'll ever be produced on CD (or at least, until Noise Records reissues absolutely everything and everything else in its catalog, up to and including Celtic Frost's COLD LAKE, and has nothing else left in the vaults... Laughing )

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 5:44 pm

xyz wrote:

Yes, you can purchase the artwork and MP3s as part of those "Download Cards" the stores are selling now. Probably a PDF format.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 8:51 pm

If art and CD's gone?!?....world probably burst into flames.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Im still waiting for a release of the a Grave Digger album that they put out when they shortened their name to Digger called Stronger Than Ever.

Retrospect Records reissued that "Digger" album on CD a few years back.... I think Ult has that version, cuz it's listed on his site. But since it's not really a highly in-demand title, that'd probably be the one and only time it'll ever be produced on CD (or at least, until Noise Records reissues absolutely everything and everything else in its catalog, up to and including Celtic Frost's COLD LAKE, and has nothing else left in the vaults... Laughing )

Yea I read up on that one and it doesnt match up well to the original at all. The songs are out of order and I cant remember the rest.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 10:36 pm

exact33 wrote:

I have the art and songs already in digital format if you want...

If cds go away Ill adjust to not having the art but wouldnt really like it.

Alex

Nah actually I think I have it somewhere myself. I just wanted to experiment with this record player.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?   What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What will happen to artwork when cd's are eventaully gone?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next