Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maiden help

Go down 
+14
sam
UltraMagnus007
thejokeriv
INVADERS
Thrasher73
QuothTheRaven
ultmetal
mc666
MoonChild
exact33
spiritoradio
Fat Freddy
Tall Tyrion
Rex
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Hey all new guy here and I have a question about Iron Maiden. Growing up I wasn't a fan because my parents woudn't allow any secular music in the house. As I got older I started sneaking in mix tapes of various punk and thrash bands that my friends would make for me. So here I am all these years later having pretty much grown up on that style and I have heard some Maiden and found it to be quite enjoyable. So my question is what album would you recomend for a new listener? I found that I really like "Run to the Hills" and "Number of the Beast". I almost picked up "Number of the Beast" today but went with the new TestAment.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm

First I'd get:
Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast

You can't go wrong with either of those two.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Killers and Piece of Mind are my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:15 pm

The "Golden Era" (depending on who you talk to of course) of Maiden, IMO at least, consists of the following CDs: "Number of the Beast," "Piece of Mind," and "Powerslave."

If you're unsure where to start, Maiden has quite a few best-of compilation CDs available that would be a good place to get your feet wet.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:18 pm

If you are just now getting into them(regardless of the two previously mentioned songs), I would start at the beginning. You can not go wrong with that. See how they progress, it's fun to do that, especially with a group like Maiden. IMO though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 pm

for an overview I heartily recommend the Essential Iron Maiden 2 cd set. Great introduction from everything from Dance of Death on back in order.

Alex

Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:14 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
If you are just now getting into them(regardless of the two previously mentioned songs), I would start at the beginning. You can not go wrong with that. See how they progress, it's fun to do that, especially with a group like Maiden. IMO though.

Actually, that's a really good idea, especially with Maiden. The first six albums are all stone cold classics anyways, so it's not like you're going to go wrong by approaching them chronologically.
Back to top Go down

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:20 pm

After lurking for the past couple of weeks I knew this would be the place to ask. If anyone else has any suggestions please post them. I am going to take your answers and kind of do an informal poll and see what comes out on top. My wife kind of wants to kill me as I have bought a lot of music in the past couple of weeks after a long period of not really buying any at all.

Oh, thanks for the welcome Fat Freddy.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Though I would personally recommend Piece of Mind, as someone else mentioned getting a compilation would be wiser! Best of the Beast!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 pm

Killers, Number of the Beast, & Somewhere in Time

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:41 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
spiritoradio wrote:

Actually, that's a really good idea, especially with Maiden. The first six albums are all stone cold classics anyways, so it's not like you're going to go wrong by approaching them chronologically.

See, I disagree with this 100% because I don't like Paul DiAnno's voice much at all.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:19 am

I think starting at the beginning is a great idea. I love DiAnno's voice. I think if you like punk, you'll probably enjoy DiAnno's voice on the first two albums as well. He was raw, but his style worked well with the raw NWOBHM that Maiden played early on.

My personal favorites are Killers and Piece of Mind.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:34 am

Paul DiAnno rules! Killers is still my favorite Maiden album ever. 🤘
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 am

I enjoy Paul DiAnno's voice as well, but if you are new to Maiden and Bruce is the first voice you heard, just know that Paul's voice is very different from Bruce's. Piece of Mind and Powerslave are my faves, but "Wrathchild" from Killers would be in my top 5 Maiden tunes. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 10:56 am

Welcome to the board Phoenix Rising.As stated here already,you cant go wrong with any Maiden but a best of would be great for starters.Stand out albums to me are Piece of Mind,Powerslave,Somewhere in Time and Number of the Beast.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time
Back to top Go down

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Classics order to purchase:

Piece of Mind (My # 1 madine album) first then, in any order: Powerslave, The Number Of The Beast, Somewhere In Time, Killers, 7th son of a 7th son, Iron Maiden, Live After death

Order to purchase newer releases:

A Matter Of Life And Death (one of my favorites!), Brave New World, Dance Of Death

After you get the new ones and the classics:
Fear Of The Dark, No Prayer For The Dying

Last ones to buy: The X Factour, Virtual XI
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:42 pm

To be perfectly honest Maiden has never done a bad album. Of course some are better than others but I have to agree that starting from the beginning and working your way throught the lot in chronological order would be a great idea.

Your just starting a journey of discovery of IMO the greatest heavy metal band of all time. Happy listening and welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Haha I knew you guys would make this hard. That's a good thing though.Hmm decisions,decisions.
lol!

Also if any of you do myspace/LastFM click my banners in my sig and add me if you want.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Phoenix Rising wrote:
Growing up I wasn't a fan because my parents woudn't allow any secular music in the house. As I got older I started sneaking in mix tapes of various punk and thrash bands that my friends would make for me. So here I am all these years later having pretty much grown up on that style

same thing I had to do, my mom was a complete nut on religion. As far as she was concerned school, computers, secular TV, and rock music were the devil.

she cooled off over the years, though she still dislikes metal she tolerates it.

as far as maiden, number of the beast, piece of mind, and powerslave was what got me into them heavily, though my brother got into them through their newest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:49 pm

My personal Favs are

Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
7th Son of a 7th Son, which for me is their best, and then Brave New World.

However I would recommend finding a cd store you can purchase them used and just buy all of them over time. There really isnt a bad album.

They start of punkish with Diannos voice and slowly mold fromt here, there is also a spot when Blaze Bayley comes in to replace Bruce and his stuff is darker and more unappreciated but I think it is great as well. Then Bruce comes back with much vigor and the band has not slowed down since!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Killers
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 10:55 pm

In my humble opinion, the best way to get into a band with a large discography like Maiden, is to get a greatest hits or two (Lord knows IM have a couple!). That way there you can get an overall feeling for their music. You mentioned that you like Punk, then I think you would like the first two IM albums. I am not saying that they are Punk rock, but they have some punk leanings; at least to my ears. Good luck and have fun. Peace.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 11:12 pm

the sentinel wrote:
In my humble opinion, the best way to get into a band with a large discography like Maiden, is to get a greatest hits or two

Amen to that! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Maiden help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maiden help   Maiden help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maiden help
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next