Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What if Maiden never got big in the US?

Go down 
+11
Dellocatus
Wayne
nevermore
mlotek
stpatrik
Andy
James B.
thejokeriv
Alex Dee Rokket
Temple of Blood
Hadley
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

What if Maiden never got big in the US? Empty
PostSubject: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:33 pm

What if Iron Maiden hadnt really broken big in the states and were primarily only known by hardcore metal fans, along the lines of diamond head or angel witch? Would it affect metal in any real way?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm

If Maiden were only known by hardcore fans then we would likely never have had Maiden's current 3 decade long recording legacy.

US was responsible for the booming times that Maiden enjoyed - I think this is because of the large number of cities where Maiden could play and the large quantities of disposal income that people had in the day to see Maiden, to buy their merchandise and their records.

If Maiden had emerged in the 21st century, it would have made almost no difference whether the band was popular in the US or Europe since right now, everyone is broke all over the world. It is also likely that with the many metal acts around, their appeal would have been limited to a very small fanbase comprised mostly of hardcore power metal fans. With limited appeal and limited budget shows would have been on par with most European metal bands.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:57 pm

They would have been bigger than the other NWOBHM bands, but no where near where they are now. They were still better than the other NWOBHM bands - better songs and played better (once they gave Stratton walking papers and hire Adrian). If Paul was still singing, there is no way they would have made it as big as they did (and I love the Paul albums!). They would have been a second tier Metal band after Priest and stuck playing the larger clubs (1500 - 2000) and probably as big as Saxon.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 pm

I still would of been the first to sport a Maiden shirt at my high school in 1981. Tower records rocked !

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 1:15 am

I don't think much would have really changed. Iron Maiden's influence is felt far and wide, but there are countless other bands (particularly from the NWOBHM) like Angel Witch and Venom who are far less known but who had a seminal influence on the development of heavy metal music in the early 1980's and beyond. Iron Maiden had the right kind of attitude at the time and combined with a bit of luck and Steve's impregnable vision for the future of the band, were pretty much destined to be the biggest heavy metal band of all time.

But I certainly wouldn't be any less enthusiastic if say a band like Saxon had taken their place at the top of the heap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 am

Honestly, if Maiden wouldn't have gotten big in America they'd be defunct nowadays. (IMHO)

Also, if Maiden failed in the states.....so do all the others

Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 9:04 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
If Maiden were only known by hardcore fans then we would likely never have had Maiden's current 3 decade long recording legacy.

US was responsible for the booming times that Maiden enjoyed - I think this is because of the large number of cities where Maiden could play and the large quantities of disposal income that people had in the day to see Maiden, to buy their merchandise and their records.

If Maiden had emerged in the 21st century, it would have made almost no difference whether the band was popular in the US or Europe since right now, everyone is broke all over the world. It is also likely that with the many metal acts around, their appeal would have been limited to a very small fanbase comprised mostly of hardcore power metal fans. With limited appeal and limited budget shows would have been on par with most European metal bands.

Well, a band like Riot never really made it mainstream though has been consistent and recording albums for even longer than Maiden.

I wouldnt say US was solely responsible - if Maiden still would have made it as big as they did elsewhere, their influence would still had been strong even on some US bands I gather, such as Queensrÿche, Jag Panzer and what not. Here in Europe, Maiden is more than a hugely succesfull band - they are part of European music culture, whether people like it or not. Really a household name and brand outside Metal circles.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 3:13 pm

I wish Maiden had Paul Di'Anno and never made it big, we would have gotten better albums.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Whether or not they had broke big or hadn't I still think their influence would have been felt through the metal community. Maybe not to the degree that it is since they were highly successful but still felt throughout.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 am

mlotek wrote:
I wish Maiden had Paul Di'Anno and never made it big, we would have gotten better albums.

Each to their own I suppose but that statement seems so wrong to me. I love Paul's voice and the first two maiden albums, heck I've even tracked down and purchased some of Paul's music after maiden but to say that we would have got better albums is nonsense.

The first two maiden albums are classics but don't come near the majesty of number of the beast or power slave or seventh son to me.
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 am

I totally agree with Wayne. The first two Maiden records are very good, though they can't mesure up with the "first" Dickinson era. The Seventh Son is by far my favourite album, not only by the band but overall. It's just perfect, for my taste nota bene Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 pm

We'd probably have a lot of the same bands, but many of them would sound very different.

Maiden might not have lasted long either. They could have, but like many of their contemporaries, they might have broken up and done reunions and one-offs.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:14 pm

mlotek wrote:

As much as I love the first two Maiden albums, and oh boy do I, Paul Di'Anno has had numerous issues, whether it be substance abuse problems or trouble with the authorities. This type of behavior probably would have derailed a band like Iron Maiden. Internal issues can and will eventually rip a band apart. I think the same could have happened had Dave Mustaine never been fired from Metallica back in 1983. It took a calming influence like Kirk Hammett to restore a little bit of order within the band. Bruce Dickinson provided that same type of calming influence.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

If Maiden didn't work out/exist/whatever, could any of the other NWOBHM bands have stepped up to fill the void?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
If Maiden didn't work out/exist/whatever, could any of the other NWOBHM bands have stepped up to fill the void?

Much like saying, if Edison wasn't born, could somebody have discovered the same exact invention?

I'd say Modern-day Power/Symphonic metal would not have existed without them, yes Priest was doing the same thing but it was in a totally different vein. Steve Harris is one of the greatest Metal Songwriters ever, couldn't say more about Bruce, it was like a Marriage between two highly-gifted musicians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if Maiden never got big in the US?   What if Maiden never got big in the US? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if Maiden never got big in the US?
Page 1 of 1