Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quoth the Raven...

Go down 
+7
Thrasher73
QuothTheRaven
exact33
Stender
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 11:34 am

Duuuuuuuuuuuude.... no Cask of Amontillado either? That blows, I was sure you would get into that one. The Black Cat or The Purloined Letter might get you going, but your're defintely behind in the count now.

And Ellison is another great one.... Not an author I read in large doses, but he packs a whallop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Duuuuuuuuuuuude.... no Cask of Amontillado either? That blows, I was sure you would get into that one. The Black Cat or The Purloined Letter might get you going, but your're defintely behind in the count now.
What's so great about that story? He tricks someone into his wine cellar and seals him up behind a wall? I don't know, I think my biggest issue is the language. It's definitely a turn off for me.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 4:27 pm

The pay off is right at the end, the very last sentance. PM me if you want any elaboration of my point, but I don't want to give the ending away for those who have not read the tale. Poe was a master of the ironic twist, and that one does it as well as any.

The other appeal of the story for me is the depth of characterization. The unreliable narrator was another technique that Poe used to great effect in stories like TCoA and The Tell-Tale Heart. You are made to see the POV of the narrator even while you are judging him, rather than sympathizing with him.

The way that Mostresor continually expresses concern for Fortunato and almost insists that they go back it highly ironic and helps to increase the tension while seeming very natural. We know (in a vague sort of way) what Montressor intends to do, which increases the tension greatly. It's flat out great writing. Every word serves the outcome, and is precicely placed by a master craftsman.

I can understand the archaic language being a stumbling block, but if you can somehow find your way past that, I still think you could learn to appreciate Poe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 5:53 pm

spectrefate wrote:
You're not a douche like most of the people here.

I just know that was directed at me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 4:07 pm

Read The Tell-Tale Heart last night. It read better because I think I'm getting used to his style, but the payoff wasn't all that great. One thing that did surprise me was the second paragraph. I knew it by heart!

I love that album! Never knew that was Poe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Maybe it's just too simple for you now, Eyesore? I first read Poe as a youth so I grew up with it. I mean he doesn't write like modern peeps or even like a Lovecraft. The plot twists are nothing compared to what writers do these days. Maybe that's it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 5:46 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Maybe it's just too simple for you now, Eyesore? I first read Poe as a youth so I grew up with it. I mean he doesn't write like modern peeps or even like a Lovecraft. The plot twists are nothing compared to what writers do these days. Maybe that's it?
Nah, I just think because it's Poe, I expected more. I'm trying to curb those expectations. Plus, I am getting used to his style, so that makes it better. And I've only read two stories all the way through.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 12:33 pm

I can tell your a writer by your persistence in reading something that didn't grab you right away. I first read Poe in 5th grade and it was so eerie then. Maybe starting as a youth helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 12:38 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
I can tell your a writer by your persistence in reading something that didn't grab you right away. I first read Poe in 5th grade and it was so eerie then. Maybe starting as a youth helps.
I won't finish stories, though. I'll stop about 250 pages in if I'm not into something. Short stories would be less of course. But I continue to try King's books, even though two out of three I can't dig on. Not sure if that's the sign of a writer or a sucker, though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 am

I somehow missed this entire thread, so here I am 3 pages later, chiming in with my 2 cents.

I have a beautiful hardcover edition of the collected works of Poe that my wife (girlfriend at the time) got me for our 1st Christmas together. I had mentioned that I had an old beat-up paperback of some of his works and that I really liked him. Many months later, she got me the book for Christmas. Aren't chicks great like that? I make one small mention, she makes note of it and turns it into something special. Me? She could staple a gift suggestion to my forehead, hire a skywriter and have a flashing neon sign and I'd still be clueless.

By the way, Quoth the Raven...welcome.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 am

My wife does that as well, and I'm just as clueless as you are. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 2:04 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

By the way, Quoth the Raven...welcome.

Thanks MetalGuy. I haven't been very active lately as my family and I have been on a two and half week trip out West and Computer time has been slim. I love being on this board, though. Most of you share a lot of my viewpoints on various things Cool .

If anyone's interested, we've been keeping a blog on our travels. My wife and boys and I have been taking turns writing. www.headingsfamily.wordpress.com

We buzzed through part of New Mexico and I checked to see if Ultimatum was playing, but alas, it was not to be! Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3