Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quoth the Raven...

Go down 
+7
Thrasher73
QuothTheRaven
exact33
Stender
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Just wanted to tell you that I think your username RULES!! 🤘

I'm a huge fan of EA Poe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Yep, Poe is the man. I love his work. I could go the rest of my life and never read another author.

And oh yeah, Quoth, you are a breath of fresh air. You're not a douche like most of the people here.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm

I need to read more of his work. I have in the past, but it's been a while. I'm still binging on HPL (who was inspired quite a bit by Poe) but maybe after I'm done with him I'll read some Poe.
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Finish up your Lovecraft and then read the true master. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm a big Lovecraft fan, but Poe is better in every way.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am

Love The Raven (I especially love reading it out loud), maybe I should read some more Poe.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 am

I didnt even make the connection at first. EA poe was a genious for sure. I think my favorates are the pendulum, the raven, and the one with the french name about a crypt.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:56 am

Stender wrote:
the one with the french name about a crypt.

The Cask of Amontillado?

It's actually the name of a Spanish sherry, but I agree, one of Poe's finest hours. That is my favorite out of all his tales. I see it as the epitome of good short story writing, with not a word out of place. The ending is superb.
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 11:08 am

spectrefate wrote:
And oh yeah, Quoth, you are a breath of fresh air. You're not a douche like most of the people here.
How do you know? He hasn't even acknowledged this newfound fan club of his. That's pretty douchey.
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 11:09 am

By the way, I have the collected works of Poe—haven't read a word of it. Been meaning to at some point...
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 11:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
By the way, I have the collected works of Poe—haven't read a word of it. Been meaning to at some point...

"Been meaning to"?!?! affraid

You won't be sorry if you make the time, my friend. In particular, these tales:

The Cask of Amontillado
William Wilson
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Gold Bug
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Masque of the Red Death
The Purloined Letter
The Black Cat
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

"Been meaning to"?!?! affraid

You won't be sorry if you make the time, my friend. In particular, these tales:

The Cask of Amontillado
William Wilson
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Gold Bug
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Masque of the Red Death
The Purloined Letter
The Black Cat
Yeah, I've always had problems getting into old authors. The style hardly ever sits well with me. So I have a lot of classics that I haven't read, but have been meaning to. It's stupid, I know. You'd think, being a big fan of written horror, that I would have at least tried Poe.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Read a story ASAP. I predict you will love his stuff. Cool
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 4:50 pm

I loved the Alan Parsons cd based on Poe: Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

Alex

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Stender wrote:
the one with the french name about a crypt.

The Cask of Amontillado?

It's actually the name of a Spanish sherry, but I agree, one of Poe's finest hours. That is my favorite out of all his tales. I see it as the epitome of good short story writing, with not a word out of place. The ending is superb.

Thats the one!

I remember reading that one in 8th grade english and thought it was amazing. I have the collected works like spectre also.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 10:16 am

That's actually a good story to read aloud, because you can appreciate the way the words are put together better by hearing them, as opposed to just reading them.
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 1:02 pm

The Gold Bug is amazing. I remember in high school how many were kind of just, Huh? That's stupid. I went on to read as much as I could find by him.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
How do you know? He hasn't even acknowledged this newfound fan club of his. That's pretty douchey.

Geez! Sorry guys! Haven't been online much for a couple of days and just noticed this post. My family and I are getting ready for a major vacation. I'm a little humbled that someone started a thread about me. Shocked Thanks for making me feel welcome!

For the record, I've read a bit of Poe myself, the standards - The Raven, The Pit and the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death, Cask of Amontillado. Love his stuff. I've also read some of Lovecraft's stuff which I think is very cool. But you guys are making me sound more literate than I am. I chose "QuothTheRaven" to refer to the next word "Nevermore!" One of my all time favorite bands!
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 pm

BTW, Eyesore, if you do get inspired to sit down with Poe, I'd start with Cask of Amontillado. It's not very long and the story is immediately engaging, so you can get past the older style of writing. I know what you mean about that style. I enjoy reading Dickens, too (let the jokes begin Quoth the Raven... 19976 ) but I have to be in the right mood to put up with his writing style.
Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Geez! Sorry guys! Haven't been online much for a couple of days and just noticed this post. My family and I are getting ready for a major vacation. I'm a little humbled that someone started a thread about me. Shocked Thanks for making me feel welcome!

For the record, I've read a bit of Poe myself, the standards - The Raven, The Pit and the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death, Cask of Amontillado. Love his stuff. I've also read some of Lovecraft's stuff which I think is very cool. But you guys are making me sound more literate than I am. I chose "QuothTheRaven" to refer to the next word "Nevermore!" One of my all time favorite bands!
Startled! Be startled! This forum is not what it appears!

Quoth the Raven... Police_stripper

That's our Tyrion. Frightening. sick

Just took the book off the shelf. I'll give it a spin soon!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 am

I've always loved Poe's work.My favorite author for sure.And Quoth,good to have ya here buddy.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 am

This may not be as dear an anecdote to some of you...but my eldest son (he's now 10) has been reading since he was 2....from 3 until 6 he had to be read "The Raven" at bedtime....it was his favorite and still is...a constant fixture in his shoulder bag (aside from his Yugi-Oh cards and gameboy is a battered pb copy of Edgar Allan Poe works...)

How cool is that?!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:09 am

Poe's poetry is actually pretty enjoyable too. That's where I learned the word "tintinnabulation".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:30 am

Shiney wrote:
This may not be as dear an anecdote to some of you...but my eldest son (he's now 10) has been reading since he was 2....from 3 until 6 he had to be read "The Raven" at bedtime....it was his favorite and still is...a constant fixture in his shoulder bag (aside from his Yugi-Oh cards and gameboy is a battered pb copy of Edgar Allan Poe works...)

How cool is that?!

Very cool. I've read The Raven to my children at bedtime as well. They liked it, but it never caught on with them like that.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 am

Shiney wrote:

How cool is that?!

My youngest is now ten and still wants to be read to at night. I enjoy it as much as he does and I realize that it probably won't last much longer. Haven't tried reading the Raven to him yet; right now we've been working our way through the "Redwall" series. For those of you not up on kids books, Redwall is about mice, shrews and squirrels who have epic sword battles with sea rats, weasels and stoats, all set in the middle ages. Quoth the Raven... 505193
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quoth the Raven... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next