Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quoth the Raven...

Go down 
+7
Thrasher73
QuothTheRaven
exact33
Stender
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:50 am

thrasher73 wrote:
I've always loved Poe's work.My favorite author for sure.And Quoth,good to have ya here buddy.

Good to be here! Thanks again for making me welcome! cool
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Quoth...read your son 'Something Wicked This Way Comes" by RAY BRADBURY....my son adored that one as well....if you need a copy Pm me I have several.....I'll send you one.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:08 pm

Shiney wrote:
Quoth...read your son 'Something Wicked This Way Comes" by RAY BRADBURY....my son adored that one as well....if you need a copy Pm me I have several.....I'll send you one.

Better yet, play him Something Wicked This Way Comes.

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 pm

So I pulled my Poe book off the shelf last night, brought it to work with me today. I just tried reading Rue Morgue. Emphasis on tried. I see that I once made it to page 29, because my bookmark was there. That's surprising, because this is the sort of writing that I hate with a passion. It's tedious and wordy and painful to read, not mention boring. I barely made it beyond page one today. I feel like I'm reading a psychology textbook written the way Ben Stine talks.

I'll try more, but Rue Morgue gets 1 out of 5 golden turds.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Try Cask of Amontillado (or however the hell it's spelled). That one's a lot shorter if I remember right.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 3:12 pm

read "Something Wicked" the book is much better than the film...

The film is not horrible...but not as good as it could have been....sadly

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Shiney wrote:
read "Something Wicked" the book is much better than the film...

The film is not horrible...but not as good as it could have been....sadly

I was referring to the Iced Earth album.

But you're right the film is decent but not as good as it could have been.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Shiney wrote:
This may not be as dear an anecdote to some of you...but my eldest son (he's now 10) has been reading since he was 2....from 3 until 6 he had to be read "The Raven" at bedtime....it was his favorite and still is...a constant fixture in his shoulder bag (aside from his Yugi-Oh cards and gameboy is a battered pb copy of Edgar Allan Poe works...)

How cool is that?!

My youngest is now ten and still wants to be read to at night. I enjoy it as much as he does and I realize that it probably won't last much longer. Haven't tried reading the Raven to him yet; right now we've been working our way through the "Redwall" series. For those of you not up on kids books, Redwall is about mice, shrews and squirrels who have epic sword battles with sea rats, weasels and stoats, all set in the middle ages. Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 505193

I remember reading the redwall books when I was in elementary and middle school, they were actually great books for being young adult literature, I hate YAL. I think my favorate was Pearls of Lutra if I remember right.

What the heck are you guys thinking reading poe to the kids before bed, do they like having bad dreams?
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 pm

My son is actually an ICED EARTH fan....as well...Toho

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Quote :
That's surprising, because this is the sort of writing that I hate with a passion. It's tedious and wordy and painful to read, not mention boring.

Different era for sure. Often, authors were paid by the word. I never found Poe boring.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Shiney wrote:
'Something Wicked This Way Comes" by RAY BRADBURY....my son adored that one as well....

GREAT book, and a really good one for kids... kinda. lol!

I should give my copy to my son or daughter and see if they like it.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:00 pm

BRADBURY is my all time favorite author....flat out genius..

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 pm

Shiney wrote:
BRADBURY is my all time favorite author....flat out genius..

Mine is Harlan Ellison.

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:23 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
Quote :
That's surprising, because this is the sort of writing that I hate with a passion. It's tedious and wordy and painful to read, not mention boring.
Different era for sure. Often, authors were paid by the word. I never found Poe boring.
I think it's the words that bore me, not necessarily the story. It's like being hungry and trudging through three feet of mud for a bread crumb. Maybe Rue Morgue just isn't the story I should start with. I'll give some others a try.

I have always been one that believes in simplicity. I had a friend in the Air Force that read the dictionary for fun, just so he could pad his vocabulary. That's cool. I know a million words myself, but most are pretty much worthless since most people don't know what the hell they mean. He was always baffled that I could listen to him, have intellectual conversations, and know the meaning of most of these crazy words he used. He was confused because I didn't talk like him. My answer was that I speak in a way that everyone can understand. He doesn't.

It actually ruined our friendship. We were stationed together in Little Rock, and then we both went to Korea at the same time. One drunken night in Korea, right before we both were to leave, we got into a stupid argument about it. He kept saying that I needed to speak "the language," as he called it. For whatever reason, I felt insulted this night. I felt like he was implying I was somehow inferior to him just because I chose not to speak like him, though I understood his silly words.

Sadly, a week went by and we didn't speak. Then he stopped by my dorm room one Sunday morning at 6am. I had obviously gone out the night before and had gotten hammered, so 6am was a ridiculous for me to be waking up! I hardly acknowledged him and asked him to come back later on. Well, that was the day he was leaving Korea. When he didn't come back that day, I went by his room that night and his roommate told me he'd left. I've not spoken to him since. I don't know where he went. He was supposed to go to the UK with me, but had changed his orders to go somewhere else and I forgot where. Kind of sucks. Wish I knew where he was now.

Anyway, I'm blabbing. Sorry. =)

Last edited by Eyesore on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I think it's the words that bore me, not necessarily the story. It's like being hungry and trudging through three feet of mud for a bread crumb. Maybe Rue Morgue just isn't the story I should start with. I'll give some others a try.

I understand that, but I'm the opposite. I'd rather be hungry longer that way when I get the crumb, or in the case of Poe, the feast, I am more appreciative.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm

I love ELLISON as well...but he is definitely NOT something everyone can appreciate....

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 9:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Shiney wrote:

Better yet, play him Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I have read Something Wicked... and have seen the movie. I need to dig that one up and read it again. I agree that the movie could have been a lot better, but being the arachniphobe that I am, the scene in the bedroom with all the tarantulas freaked me out! affraid

I also own IE's Something Wicked... That is one of my favorite albums. Great stuff. :bangyerhead:

BTW, does anyone else think that in the right hands, Schaffer's fleshed out storyline for the new Something Wicked albums would make a pretty cool movie?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Raven2
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Shiney wrote:
I love ELLISON as well...but he is definitely NOT something everyone can appreciate....

One short story converted me:

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Why this isn't a movie yet is completely beyond me!

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 9:54 pm

So I read The Cask of the Armadildo, or whatever it's called. An easier read, but seriously found the story to be pretty boring. And the dude overdoses on adjectives and adverds. Holy crap!

I'll try some more...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 10:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And the dude overdoses on adjectives and adverds. Holy crap!

Well peeps didn't watch so much TV back then and the interwebs hadn't been created so the more vivid, the better.

Also, a little note, can we maybe refrain from calling the greatest American writer that has ever lived "dude", please? Thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 11:05 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And the dude overdoses on adjectives and adverds. Holy crap!
Well peeps didn't watch so much TV back then and the interwebs hadn't been created so the more vivid, the better.

Also, a little note, can we maybe refrain from calling the greatest American writer that has ever lived "dude", please? Thanks. Smile
Pffft! I'd call him a turd, but then exact will get upset.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 11:06 pm

laterz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 pm

Missed it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 3:49 pm

It's ok. Everyone has different tastes. I don't mind wordy overly verbose writing as long as it fits the story. Take Dickens, half of what he writes doesn't have anything to do with furthering the plot so it annoys the heck out of me. But I can read War and Peace and find it interesting the whole way through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quoth the Raven...   Quoth the Raven... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quoth the Raven...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next