Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists

Go down 
+6
Required Fields
7thSecond
kmorg
A Handful of Wayne
Metal Misfit
skullsmasher
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Empty
PostSubject: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:48 am

I searched and searched but couldn't find this topic. So, I'm going to assume it hasn't been covered.

There are so many great albums that go ignored by bands, at least following the respective tours. Usually, these albums are the more obscure albums, but sometimes are (surprisingly) classics.

My top picks:

AC/DC* - It sucks for me to include them, as they're my favourite band. However, they neglect much of their catalogue in concert. As far as obscure albums go, they completely ignore FOTS, FOTW, and BUYV. They tend to play no more than one to two songs from High Voltage and DDDC (usually the same songs). They usually play only one song each from Powerage, Ballbreaker, and SUL. They only ever play the title track from FTATR, a classic. They've never played anything off of The Razor's Edge beyond Thunderstruck after the album's tour.

Judas Priest - Stained Class. I want to hear White Heat, Red Hot and Heroes End live!

Aerosmith - Rock In A Hard Place; Night In The Rights; s/t (COME ON!); Nine Lives

Others?
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 am

I've always wondered why they go to the trouble to write all this music, record it and then release it to the world then just drop it like it never existed. So many bands just stick to the few greatest hits type tunes from their career and never focus on many of the lesser known tunes that IMO are often better songs. Popularity and air play doesn't always mean a better song, know what I mean?

Rock In A Hard Place and Night In The Ruts were great albums I like them both from start to finish.

And AC/DC, these guys don't have a bad song ever, I would love to hear them play some stuff from some of their later albums like Fly On the Wall or Flick of the Switch. For that matter I would just be happy to see them live again, the last time I saw them was for the Fly On The Wall tour back in 1985
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 am

Pretty obvious one, but I'd love for KISS to do songs off The Elder. Many KISS fans have grown to love it and I think Gene & Paul underestimate it's popularity.

Heck, I'd love for them to do more of their 80s songs, period. I know they tried it a few years back, but it looks like they're back to their usual reunion era 1970s setlist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:38 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
I know they tried it a few years back, but it looks like they're back to their usual reunion era 1970s setlist.

and Gene will tell you that is what you want to hear. Smile

I agree, the 80's should be a bigger part of KISS' live sets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:51 am

Quote :
I've always wondered why they go to the trouble to write all this music, record it and then release it to the world then just drop it like it never existed. So many bands just stick to the few greatest hits type tunes from their career and never focus on many of the lesser known tunes that IMO are often better songs. Popularity and air play doesn't always mean a better song, know what I mean?

I see your point, but there are things to remember:

- When bands reach a point where they have 10, 12, 15, or even 20 albums, there is only so much room in a 90 minute set.

- The "die hard" fans (like yourself) would love to hear the deep cuts and b-sides live when they see a band. But, the band isn't playing just for you, they're playing for the 10,000 other people in the audience too...many of which are "hits" people...they want to hear "You Shook Me All Night Long" and could care less about "Nervous Shakedown"...die-hard's need to remember that, sadly, they are the minority. Most of the fans in the arenas across the country who pay to see a band that has been around 20+ years only want to hear what they know. Those popular songs (which, true, are not always better) are why that arena is full.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I would like to hear Helloween play Giants off of Chameleon just once with deris singing. I think his voice would fit with that song aside from the usuals that they do from the kiske era.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 3:25 pm

🇬🇹

Too bad I can't contribute.....

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 pm

When I saw Judas Priest on the Angel Of Retribution tour, they played at least one song off of every album with the following exceptions:

Rocka Rolla (No surprise there)

Defenders of the Faith (Big surprise IMO, one of my all time favorite albums).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Squidster wrote:

Their best, IMO.

That is surprising that they skipped that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:24 pm

spectrefate wrote:

Their best, IMO.

Yeah, I was surpised. Love Bites, The Sentinel, Jawbreaker, Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, just so many classics on that one.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Maiden largely ignores Somewhere in Time even though their current tour is loosely named after it and it's their best album. Ozzy largely ignores The Ultimate Sin though it's his second best album.

Last edited by 7thSecond on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:27 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Maiden largely ignores Somewhere in Time even though their current tour is named loosely after it and it's their best album. Ozzy largely ignores The Ultimate Sin though it's his second best album.

I have always liked the way you think, 7th. You're my favorite train engineer, btw. Smile What an awesome job!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Sepultura - Schizophrenia.

Actually, come to think of it, up to and including Arise hardly gets played live anymore. They'll play a two song medley off of Beneath the Remains and Arise, and they'll play Troops of Doom. Schizophrenia...nothing. It's strange, because Beneath the Remains and Arise are generally considered their best albums (I actually consider Schizophrenia their second best, after BTR).

Megadeth - Killing is My Business...and Business is Good!

Pretty much only Mechanix ever gets played live.

Fates Warning - pretty much the entire John Arch-era.

I do know that Jim Matheos says he despises Night on Bröcken. I love it, but if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to play it. However, they play just about nothing off of The Spectre Within or Awaken the Guardian. I wonder if Jim Matheos hates those albums, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:30 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I have always liked the way you think, 7th. You're my favorite train engineer, btw. Smile What an awesome job!
happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:34 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Ozzy largely ignores The Ultimate Sin though it's his second best album.

I'm a big fan of The Ultimate Sin too. That album does not get enough credit. Jake E. Lee shreds.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Squidster wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

I'm a big fan of The Ultimate Sin too. That album does not get enough credit. Jake E. Lee shreds.
Yeah that and Bark at the Moon are definitely my two favorites from Ozzy. Luckily I did see him on The Ultimate Sin tour so I got to see most of the songs off of it performed live. headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 1:21 am

Required Fields wrote:

Megadeth - Killing is My Business...and Business is Good!

I read in an interview with Dave Mustaine that he doesn't like to play that material because it's too fast. Come on Dave! What happened to you?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 2:21 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I would like to hear Helloween play Giants off of Chameleon just once with deris singing. I think his voice would fit with that song aside from the usuals that they do from the kiske era.

They did it on the Master of the Rings tour. Deris did a good job on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 am

Squidster wrote:
When I saw Judas Priest on the Angel Of Retribution tour, they played at least one song off of every album with the following exceptions:

Yeah. On the current tour the dug out both Eat Me Alive & Rock Hard from DOTF which is cool. Also Sin After Sin gets represented with Sinner & Dissident Aggressor whereas usually they tend to stick with only Diamonds and Rust from that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 3:43 am

St Patrik wrote:

Yeah. On the current tour the dug out both Eat Me Alive & Rock Hard from DOTF which is cool. Also Sin After Sin gets represented with Sinner & Dissident Aggressor whereas usually they tend to stick with only Diamonds and Rust from that one.

That's cool. I'm also glad to hear they're including Sinner & Dissident Aggressor in their set. Classic stuff. Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists 604261
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 12:46 pm

Squidster wrote:
St Patrik wrote:

That's cool. I'm also glad to hear they're including Sinner & Dissident Aggressor in their set. Classic stuff. Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists 604261

They're pulling out quite a few obscure numbers on the current tour. I was surprised to see Death work its way in from the new album. I was hoping for the title track, but, hey, let's keep up with the lesser-known tracks. I'll be seeing them on the 23rd for the first time, and, of course, I'd love to hear all the famous songs live (since I haven't seen them tons of times like a lot of our more mature members). But, you know what, I'm actually more excited that I get to hear all these awesome tracks. Besides, they're still playing most of their big, big tunes. My friend Ryan is pissed that they're not playing Living After Midnight. But, he knows only like three songs anyway. I can see someone like him being mad. I'm stoked to hear Rock Hard, Ride Free and Hell Patrol.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 5:03 pm

ST.ANGER
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Squidster wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Their best, IMO.

Yeah, I was surpised. Love Bites, The Sentinel, Jawbreaker, Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, just so many classics on that one.

Yeah, I agree with those statements.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:39 pm

Squidster wrote:
7thSecond wrote:

You know, on the Essentials 2 disc set for Ozzy, there is nothing from Ultimate Sin! That is my favorite Ozzy album. Followed closely by Bark at the Moon.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 8:40 pm

St Patrik wrote:
Squidster wrote:

Dissident Aggressor. I would love to hear that one live! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists   Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums that are, but shouldn't be, ignored in live setlists
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next