Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

70s Live Albums

Go down 
+13
manny
Wrecked Neck
Wurthless
ultmetal
Thelemech
akeldama
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
stepcousin
Orion Crystal Ice
JBall_Z
James B.
Alex Dee Rokket
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 pm

I have been listening to a whole lot of different live albums from the 70s. The live album had a very special place in the 1970s, more so than in any of the decades that followed. Bands almost always sounded better when captured live than on their studio albums. Albums like Tokyo Tapes (Scorpions) and Live and Dangerous (Thin Lizzy) capture the respective bands in a completely different mood - the songs sound heavier, tighter, more meaningful perhaps the way that they were intended to sound in the first place. I see this as a result of the technical limitations imposed on bands at the time, and possibly also the limited studio time allocated and pressures from the record companies to rush out new releases every year, some times twice a year.

Rush (though sounding great on their studio albums) is another example of a band that simply projects a completely different facet in a live setting. Similarly, the energy on Queen's Live Killers is so over the top, you instantly get what Queen was all about. It makes you feel like part of the show through and through.

I think the magic of the live album faded away after the 70s. That is not to say the 80s didn't have their fair share of classic live albums but these seem fewer than what the 1970s produced. I think the live album post-1970s became more of a curiosity for fans that hadn't heard the band live before. It ceased to be an essential part of the band's discography. Video footage of bands became more prominent during this time and studio technology also meant bands could spend more time polishing up their sound.

Nowadays live albums seem like a total cash grab and its importance has almost completely faded. Concerts are released on dvd / blu-rays and high quality live footage can be found for free on youtube. In that regard it takes more for a band to release an interesting live album these days. As far as newer live albums go, I really enjoy what Opeth does live - I think they are one of the few bands I get excited about seeing / hearing in a live setting. I am also quite interested in the symphonic Dimmu Borgir show from last year (not sure if it was released officially yet).

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 pm

UFO
Humble Pie
Rory Gallagher
Nugent
KISS
ABB
REO
Nazareth
Lizzy
Frampton

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 pm

In addtion to bands already mentioned, Grand Funk's Live Album and Foghat Live are two of my favorites from the decade. Also Judas Priest Unleashed in the East.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, concerts aren't what they were at that time either. The extended set is altogether discouraged and practically non-existent overall.

My contribution to this thread is as follows:

MADE IN JAPAN.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 pm

I love 70's live albums, so many great ones. Especially when played on vinyl. Cool
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:53 pm

Both of Slade's "Alive" albums are gems.

Pat Travers' "Go With What You Know" is another favorite of mine.

Purple's "Japan" and "Europe" albums are great as well.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:01 am

No mentions of AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Status Quo, Yes, Genesis, Rainbow, The Amboy Dukes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Mahogany Rush, David Bowie, Max Webster, Neil Young, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, ELO, ELP, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Camel, Uriah Heep and Cheap Trick yet?

Man, there's so many of them...

Here's a track from a great live album most of you probably haven't heard yet:
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 2:27 pm

J. Geils Band-Full House Live and Live Blow Your Face Out are gems and the only J. Geils Band albums anybody really needs IMHO. Also Climax Blues Band-FM Live.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Live At Leeds - The Who
On Your Feet Or On Your Knees - Blue Oyster Cult
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:12 pm

OH man, I love 70's live albums. They brought a raw energy and a heavier sound to the table than those bands could get in the studio.

Kiss - Alive
Slade - Slade Alive!
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet or On Your Knees
Blue Oyster Cult - Some Enchanted Evening
Yes- Yessongs
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Pat Travers - Go For What You Know
Aerosmith - Live Bootleg
Aerosmith - Look Homeward Angel (a widely distributed and popular bootleg from 1975)
Goddo - Best Seat in the House
Alice Cooper - The Alice Cooper Show
Cheap Trick - At Budakon
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Rainbow - On Stage
Queen - Killers
Genesis - Seconds Out
Foghat - Live
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Hawkwind - Space Rituals

That doesn't even take into consideration all the killer albums that are being released currently from those 70's groups...
Rush - ABC 1974
Queen - Live at the Rainbow '74
Aerosmith - Baying At the Moon
Cheap Trick - On Top of the World '78
Ted Nugent - Live At the Hamersmith '79
...among many, many others.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Wishbone Ash's Live Dates is a classic I don't see listed yet.

The Dead's Europe '72 album is phenomenal.

Oh, and Van Morrison's It's Too Late to Stop Now is another great one that comes to mind. There's obviously so many to list, though.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 5:05 am

Black Sabbath, live at last is a very good live album, though I suggest getting the past lives set, since it has that and then some other live recordings on the second disc.

Uriah Heep live is another good one.

Jimi Hendrix, live at the isle of Wight recorded in 1970 is a must have.

Led Zeppelin, song remains the same is amazing, both the CD and movie.

Rush, All the Worlds a Stage is another classic.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 10:40 am

AC/DC 'If You Want Blood' is the perfect live album, captures the band at their peak, the energy level is up to ten, and you can hear for yourself how good Bon Scott was as a frontman.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 12:38 pm

James Gang-Live In Concert is great too and if you can find a boot of the whole show that even better.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Eloy-Live
Taste-Live At The Isle Of Wight
Rory Gallagher-Irish Tour '74
Santana-Lotus
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Black Sabbath, live at last is a very good live album, though I suggest getting the past lives set, since it has that and then some other live recordings on the second disc.

Jimi Hendrix, live at the isle of Wight recorded in 1970 is a must have.

Past Lives is a killer archival release. It's great to hear Ozzy-fronted Sabbath live, there's not a ton of footage posted on youtube of that era. It's a nice package to have.

And if it hasn't been said already, Band of Gypsys is another quintessential Hendrix live record.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 5:20 pm

akeldama wrote:
Eloy-Live
Taste-Live At The Isle Of Wight
Rory Gallagher-Irish Tour '74
Santana-Lotus

All good calls, there. Can't believe Rory didn't come to mind for me.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 6:31 pm

I was enthralled by Framton comes alive...fascinated me....
Ted Nugent, double live gonzo...Hibernation, in particular.
Aerosmith's bootleg....Cheap Trick at Budakhan.....
King Biscut flower hour....
I would not miss that radio broadcast...that was so f,n real !
Kind of like Don Kirshners rock concerts on tv....

Great point. No 'live' concert recordings come across that 'live' anymore.
I want to hear the crowd...the real crowd......
hear the buzz from the amps, back ground chatter, the confusion !
Song Remains The Same....wow....
Moby Dick, Dazed....it was like I was there at the show...
Even The Doors live....that has some fun qualities....
Morrison....asks crowd what song they want to hear next lol
Everyone starts to shout...or he comments on police being there...
To protect and serve....and some distant voice yells "fu** em"

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 3:35 am

Love everything already mentioned..here are a few more I dig...

Eric Clapton..Just One Night
Sammy Hagar..All Night Long
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band...Live Bullet
Neil Young & Crazy Horse..Rust Never Sleeps
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 5:34 am

So many great ones already listed so I'll just add Frumpy - Live
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 12:35 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Bands almost always sounded better when captured live than on their studio albums.

Funny considering nearly all (I'd say 95%) "live" albums of the 70's (and of course later decades) are either studio recordings, rehearsal/soundcheck recordings or so heavily overdubbed that there barely is anything live recorded left. Sometimes not even the crowd noise are from a concert of the artist, like it's the case with Alive from Kiss (apparently taken from a John Denver live recording) and Blue Oyster Cult's - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees which features crowd noise from some Johnny Winter live recordings.

It honestly always makes me wonder why people simply accept this trickery. The bands release something fake, labeled as a live album and their fans buy it and call it awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Sponsored content

70s Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s Live Albums   70s Live Albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

70s Live Albums
Page 1 of 1