Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone here a wrestling fan?

Go down 
+17
A Handful of Wayne
Mortuary
ThrashedOutCobra33
Sword Of The Heretic
jstate
Hamer12
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
spiritoradio
Leatherface
Thrasher73
MoonChild
DallasBlack
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Metal Misfit
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Metalhead10 wrote:
yeah abyss is back without that dumb manager dude he had. Now he wears all white.

Great!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Loved wrestling in the 80's. On Saturdays it would be on the whole day. My favorite at the time was the UWF but I watched it all. I used to regularly go to the Capital Centre and once in awhile the Baltimore Arena. Lost interest in the early nineties when too many other things took over.

Even when it got real popular again later, I was always the guy saying how it was better before. Which I'm sure was real annoying. It is probably the one form of entertainment where I feel old and out of the demographic.

Wahoo McDaniel came into our store one day. I got to actually tell him that his money was no good here. And getting a free fill-up and a six-pack made him quite friendly and talkative. We actually talked more about his NFL playing days than wrestling. Thing I remember was how unbelievably big his hands were when he shook my hand. You couldn't have paid me enough money to get chopped by him.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 pm

jstate wrote:
Loved wrestling in the 80's. On Saturdays it would be on the whole day. My favorite at the time was the UWF but I watched it all. I used to regularly go to the Capital Centre and once in awhile the Baltimore Arena. Lost interest in the early nineties when too many other things took over.

Even when it got real popular again later, I was always the guy saying how it was better before. Which I'm sure was real annoying. It is probably the one form of entertainment where I feel old and out of the demographic.

Wahoo McDaniel came into our store one day. I got to actually tell him that his money was no good here. And getting a free fill-up and a six-pack made him quite friendly and talkative. We actually talked more about his NFL playing days than wrestling. Thing I remember was how unbelievably big his hands were when he shook my hand. You couldn't have paid me enough money to get chopped by him.

Wrestling was much better in the 80s but even though it has gone downhill, I have been following it too long to quit watching it (of course after a few months I would probably never miss it).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm a former wrestler myself. Some of you may know Crazy Luke Graham Jr. (especially if you're familiar with Lawler, Dundee, and the Moondogs). Luke Jr. trained me back in 2002, and I wrestled from 2003-2007 as Plowboy Hays. I had to stop wrestling for two reasons. Gas costs and back problems. I miss it. Seriously, I had lots of fun, but I don't want to mess up my back anymore than it already is. If I was to ever climb back in a ring, it would be as a ref, or a manager. Heck, I wouldn't mind working as a timekeeper/ ring announcer or even security. But my days in the ring are done.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 12:40 am

I love wrestling, I remember watching the old syndicated WWF Superstars show (back when it was THE show) on Saturdays at some friends' house and playing with their big rubber WWF figures.

I didn't become a huge fan until '90 though when my family moved to a different part of town and there were no kids in the neighborhood for me to play with. All I did was watch TV & eat. A proud tradition still going to this day!

I watch WWE & TNA. Really just Raw and Impact because I usually work when ECW & Smackdown come on, but I try to record/read results online to stay current.

My current faves are: AJ Styles, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Mickie James, Edge, CM Punk, Batista, Rey Mysterio, William Regal, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Umaga, Elijah Burke, Hernandez, Christian Cage, Jay Lethal, Kurt Angle, Santino Marella and Scott Steiner

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Yeah I'm a huge wrestling fan but all we got here is TNA.

All you get is TNA? Where do you live (I'm assuming it's not the US)?
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Used to watch it all the time but stopped. fav's are Stone Cold, Triple H, and Roddy Piper.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 am

Check out this BS that shows that WWE is run by a*sholes:

ECW referee Wes Adams was apparently released over a screw-up in a finish during the main event of the 8/12 ECW between John Morrison & The Miz vs. Mark Henry & Matt Hardy. The Miz was supposed to save Morrison after a super side effect, but he missed his cue to break up a pinfall attempt from Matt Hardy. Morrison ended up trying to kick out at the last split-second when he realized Miz wasn't coming in to break it up. That wasn't supposed to be the finish as it seemingly came out of nowhere. Adams counted the pinfall nonetheless as WWE referees have been instructed to call every match as a shoot. When the match was over, you could tell that everyone was confused. Adams is being used as scapegoat for the incident, but a number of people in WWE believe he was a victim of a circumstance that wasn't his fault. They feel Adams was only doing his job as he was instructed, because if a wrestler doesn't raise his shoulder up by the three count, he is to be counted down and the match ends. Adams had a reputation in WWE for getting to the shows early, and staying late as well. A number of people figured he'd be in WWE for as long as he wanted. Adams is now taking bookings as a wrestler on the independent circuit.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Today's WWE? sign :eyesore: Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 352445

Not even a single story line is worth watching, and they are more a drama play than actual wrestling.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Doesn't the WWE emphasize that it is all scripted entertainment. So why punish a guy for doing what he's told to do. Will people think it's not legit? Punish the person who missed their cue. Please tell me The Miz isn't that Real World guy?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Yep, he is.
Back to top Go down
Mortuary
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Mortuary

Number of posts : 498

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 3:09 pm

I used to be, not anymore.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
Yep, he is.

One of the reasons I don't watch ECW.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:37 pm

MoonChild wrote:
Today's WWE? sign :eyesore: Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 352445

Not even a single story line is worth watching, and they are more a drama play than actual wrestling.

Couldn't agree with you more. However, I have invested over 15 years of my life and no matter how bad it gets I still stick with it. Sort of like when your watching a bad movie, you don't want to stop til you see it through no matter how agonizing it gets.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 6:02 pm

Thinking about it - I might actually watch to see Miz get beat up some.

I think the thing that made me not a fan was all the talking and storylines. Just give me a simple reason why these two guys hate each other and settle it in the ring. Then when nothing gets settled in a just way - have a cage match. Most of what I've seen in the last ten years I've wondered why they even have a ring. Though I will admit it is impressive (or insane) some of the stuff the wrestlers do today.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 11:41 am

For my 3000th post I wanted to do a list of all the wrestlers that have died since I've been a fan over 15 years ago. For some reason, a couple of days ago I started thinking of this topic, don't ask me why (some things remain a mystery).None of these were due to old age, some from unusual occurances, some from wreckless living and some that were natural. The only reason why I am doing this is because wrestling is the only form of entertainment that has this many deaths at relatively young ages (my favorites in red-except one who lost my favoritism after his death):

Andre The Giant
Rick Rude
Hawk
Chris Benoit
Dino Bravo (gunned down by the Canadian mafia)
Eddie Guerrerro
Curt Henning
Louie Spicolli
John Tenta (Earthquake)
Yokozuna
Mike Awesome
Brian Adams (Crush)
Big Boss Man
Kerry Von Erik
Crash Holly
Owen Hart
The Renegade
Chris Candido (Skip)
Bobby Duncum Jr.
Brian Pillman
Davey Boy Smith
Johnny Grunge
Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy
Jeep Swenson (biggest arms I have ever seen)
Big Bertha Faye
Junkyard Dog
Hercules [Hernandez]
Rocco Rock
Gentleman Chris Adams

There are some I did not mention mainly because I never saw them wrestle or they never wrestled while I was a fan. I had a dream when I was younger to be a Pro-Wrestler (it's were I came up with the name of Dallas Black or The Heavy Metal Cowboy), but knowing what I know now maybe it was divine intervention that I never got to the physical point to allow it to happen. Yeah, it is entertainment and everything is scripted but it is a very tough and brutal lifestyle that turns people physically into old men/women at middle age (if they even reach that).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:45 pm

Speaking of Wrestling deaths, the great Walter "Killer" Kowalsk has passed away. At one time one of the most hated wrestlers ever (but was secretly a very nice man) and was responsible for the trainging of some of the biggest names in wrestling (i.e. HHH). A wrestling legend that did make it into old age, I never saw him wrestle but I know he will be greatly missed.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 am

Kowalski also trained the late Big John Studd.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Wow when did Kowalski die? I used to be a huge wrestling fan. When I was younger I would watch it here and there but then when Monday Night Raw first started is when I started getting more into it. I was taping every single wrestling show up til about maybe 5 years ago. I still have the video tapes cause I always wanted to transfer them to DVD but after a while I just couldnt sit through all the stuff that I have.

I have a huge wrestling figure collection probably somewhere around 300 figures some opened and even more still in their packages.

Since WCW and ECW were ran out of business I started to slowly loose intrest all together. Me and my friends would always go to wrestling shows. I remember going to my first ECW show in philadelphia in the ECW (bingo hall) Arena. One of the best shows I ever went to to this day. This kid used to set up bus trips to go to the show and he would also have wrestlers that would ride with us. The ride I went on had New Jack, Spike Dudley, and Kronus. I have a picture of them somewhere. But those were the good ol days.

Now my friend asks me to go to shows and I just sit there and I cant wait til there over. There are some local ones like CZW, and NYWC that I would go to all the time but now they are just boring. Ive grown so tired of wrestling ive even started to sell off some of my figures but I cant get rid of my whole collection. I just need one more and im done. Im looking for the new Cactus Jack wrestling classic superstars series to finish the mick foley collection.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

Look at the back cover of Disturbed's first album. Doesn't that guy look like Stone Cold Steve Austin?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 7:19 am

I've been listening to some shoot interviews (interviews that break character and aren't part of any storylines). Anyone hear some of the interviews with the Honky Tonk Man? That guy is one of the most pompous windbags I've ever heard. At least the Iron Shiek comes off as a nut and is entertaining. Honky comes off as a bitter has been who thinks his place in wrestling history is more important than it really was (and he's a bit of an a-hole as well). I will give him credit for one thing, he admitted that he was not really a wrestler (like Hitman, Valentine, Perfect, etc.) but an entertainer. He was glad his match with Warrior was so short because he knew he didn't have enough talent to carry someone who had less talent than him (I liked Warrior back in the day but lets face it, he had about as much athletic skill as Hogan).
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 pm

I've been a wrestling fan since I was a kid. Back then my favourites were Randy Savage and Bret Hart. I kind of stopped following around 91 or 92, but then got drawn back in it after my smaller brother started watching in the late 90's. I saw a lot of the old guys still there, but also got new favourites like Chris Jericho, for instance. He is a great character.

I've been to a WWE show twice (I'm going for the third time soon), and to a bunch of indy shows. I also have some friends sort of in the business.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Just started getting into the whole wrestling thing, any matches or sets I should pick up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:52 am

sam wrote:
Just started getting into the whole wrestling thing, any matches or sets I should pick up?

There are plenty of DVD sets out there:

Spectacular Legacy Of The AWA
The Best Of Starcade
Wrestlemaia Anthology
Summerslam Anthology
Royal Rumble Anthology
Best Of Saturday Main Event
Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen (try to get an older used copy or you will get a revisionist history)
The Ladder Match (ditto)

...and many more
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 am

DallasBlack wrote:
sam wrote:

The Best Of Starcade
Wrestlemaia Anthology
Summerslam Anthology
Royal Rumble Anthology
Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen (try to get an older used copy or you will get a revisionist history)
The Ladder Match (ditto)

...and many more

I saw all the sets, figured I'd ask to see which is worth getting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 am

sam wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
sam wrote:

The Best Of Starcade
Wrestlemaia Anthology
Summerslam Anthology
Royal Rumble Anthology
The Ladder Match (ditto)

...and many more

I saw all the sets, figured I'd ask to see which is worth getting.

And I gave you my suggestions and they're all worth getting. They're all good and I own most of them except the Starcade, Wrestlemania, Summerslam, and Royal Rumble ones but that's only because of a lack of money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a wrestling fan?   Anyone here a wrestling fan? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone here a wrestling fan?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next