Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Megadeth discussion...

Go down 
+23
metalheaded
Tall Tyrion
TheGooch
Selvmord
metalinmyveins
EvyMetal
DallasBlack
powermacho
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
mc666
thejokeriv
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
Mattallica667
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
MetalRob331
Stender
zombiewalkin
XYZ
Thrasher73
ultmetal
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

A Megadeth discussion... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 11:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
I dont discount his work on the disc i just feel he thinks that whole disc is his. He is credited with 4 songs if he had more i'm sure he would've got credited for them. As far as being generic when Megadeth first came out they were trying to be the most furious band on the planet. IDK if they did that as i think that Killing is mediocre at best.

Glenn Rogers is credited with ONE writing credit on the first Deliverance CD. Ask him how many songs he actually had a hand in writing on that album. Glenn didn't play a note on the first Vengeance Rising record "Human Sacrifice", ask him how much of a role he played in the importance of that record. It's no different with Kill 'Em All. Metallica gave Dave credit where they had to and that is it, but his role in that monumental metal album is forever cemented in history.

Great discussion BTW. I enjoyed reading everyone's response to this debate I had on another board. Very cool.

That is well said Ult; great example using Glenn Rogers (he wrote some good stuff on those albums!). Thank God we got both bands who have put out great music for all of us metalheads!!!

🇬🇹
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Megadeth is the best metal band bar none. Mustaine's lyrics are some of the best in the biz, I can't wait for an album with Chris Broderick.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Does this count as another Metallica thread now? Laughing very hard

In all seriousness, though; some great knowledge being brought to the discussion table here. Everytime I think I side with one argument, the next post makes me do a 180 to my previous belief. And so on, and so on.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 11:27 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I know Mustaine has writing credits for the songs The Four Horsemen, Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, and Metal Militia. These are all great songs. Dave even took the Four horsemen song and put it onto Killing if i'm not mistaken under the name Mechanix?

My opinion is that Dave has a very bad ego problem and always seems to blame others around him for his problems. Yes he has a few riffs on Kill Em' All but that is not what made Metallica successful imo.

It all boils down to the records imo. Metallica released far superior albums then Megadeth did. Does Dave get the credit for that? I like Megadeth but Dave shouldn't worry about what Metallica's doing everyday...

I'm a huge fan of both bands, and I think they've both contributed quite a bit to the history of the metal genre. I will say it again though, I think what separates the two bands and their popularity is that Dave Mustaine unlike that of Metallica has been less accessible to his fanbase. Dave has always been the guy who was considered rough around the edges, and for good reason. It shows/showed in his dictatorial approach of who is the most important component inside that of Megadeth. As a fan I got used to most of the lineup changes, even though it was a bitter pill to swallow when Menza and eventually Friedman left. The one person I always thought would be by his side was that of Dave Ellefson. That was always the refreshing thing about Metallica (no matter the musical direction they took), is that they've always had that mentality of "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts".

Dave for most of his career was bent on self destructiveness, and was lucky that he didn't kill himself. He has admitted about his inner demons regarding being booted from Metallica. Only Dave would know, but those actions by Metallica were most likely a catalyst in Dave's self destructiveness. Hell, he admitted to Lars during the filming of Somekind of Monster that it had been bothering him for what had been nearly 20 years. He always felt that he played second fiddle to Metallica, so is it any wonder why there have been all these lineup changes within Megadeth? Dave has always been plagued by those insecurities.

I actually pity him in a way, because I know what it's like to live with the what-ifs that life throws at us. Probably the most revealing thing Dave mentioned in that interview was that he wished the band (Metallica)would have given him an ultimatum as it pertained to his drinking and going off to AA. Stating he would have given anything for that to have happened. He's a tragic figure in many ways. I think all Dave ever wanted was acceptance, and some of those people he wanted it from most, were those guys from Metallica.

Finishing with that thought, I will never forget in the deleted scenes of "Behind the Music" for Megadeth, Lars and James were being interviewed regarding Dave and his legacy in the metal world. Lars started to talk about secretly being proud of Dave's work on the Peace Sells album. Unfortunately Lars goofed and originally called it the Rust in Peace album (with James looking on like he had never heard of either album). Finally after a few seconds of staring at James, Lars stated the Peace Sells album after being tongue tied (giving it the props it deserved). James sat there never mentioning anything about one album/ one song... nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Megadeth discussion...
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4