Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Annihilator discussion...

Go down 
+15
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Smindas
SideShowDisaSter
adrian
DeathCult
Troublezone
Witchfinder
Lari
Vexer6
Ben Grimm
Temple of Blood
SpectreFate
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Annihilator discussion... Empty
PostSubject: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 3:46 pm

BESIDES Alice in Hell and Never, Neverland, which I know most hold as classic, what would you say was the best and worst of Annihilator?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Never Neverland is the best

Actually I like "Criteria" the best after the first 2. The worst is "All For You". I even like "Remains" more than those Padden albums.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Best: "Set the World on Fire" / "Critera for a Black Widow" (tie)
Worst: very hard to say. About 6 albums are tied for this spot.

Waters is a monster guitarist with flashes of brilliance but really needs some songwriting help. Especially when it comes to vocal melodies and lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Worst is, Metal, that album has a few songs that are ok but as a whole the albums is not good the bad songs out way the good.
One of my favorite is All For You, but I know many people hate that album ........a lot
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Worst-Remains I guess, but even that one isn't as bad as most people say and has some good songs.
Best-Carnival Diablos
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Carnival Diablos is amazing. Joe Comeau came out of the blue, at least to me, and I was real surprised. The songs are great too - fast, catchy, groovy. This has to be my favourite Annihilator album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Faves:
Carnival Diablos
Criteria for a Black Widow
Refresh the Demon
Set the World on Fire
Waking the Fury
King of the Kill

Worst
Remains (really the only Annihilator album I don't care for at all)

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:53 pm

"Remains" has 2 great songs: "Tricks and Traps" and "Reaction", which are both on my MP3 player that I work out to. Some serious riffing in those songs.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Carnival Diablos for best - great album there. I love Waking The Fury too but the fuzzy guitar tone is annoying on that one.

Worst - Remains.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
"Remains" has 2 great songs: "Tricks and Traps" and "Reaction", which are both on my MP3 player that I work out to. Some serious riffing in those songs.

Thanks. I'll give those a second listen. headbanger

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree that Reaction is the best song.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 5:40 pm

1. Alice in Hell
2. Never, Neverland
3. Criteria for a Black Widow
4. Set the World on Fire (music only)

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu May 19, 2011 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Best (after the first 2) - Criteria For A Black Widow
Worst - Remains (mainly because of the White Zombie-like tunes on it;the rest isn't too bad)

The Padden albums catch alot of flack but I don't mide them at all.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:01 pm

I've never actually heard an Annihilator album past Never, Neverland. I got into them late and there were other bands I was tracking deeper.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Criteria For a Black Widow. It's just a perfect mix of the first three albums but heavier at the same time. I talk it up all the time, but I think it deserves it.

My other two top albums are Set the World on Fire and Waking the Fury. Those were my first two Annihilator albums and both are still favorites.

Worst is probably either Remains or Metal.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:27 am

I'd go with either Criteria For A Black Widow or Waking The Fury. If you can get past that annoying guitar tone, I think Waking The Fury has some killer tunes on it. Criteria kinda rekindled that old magic of the first two to a very large degree.

Worst is easily, in my opinion, Remains. 1 or 2 decent songs, but the rest is just garbage.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:11 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Waters is a monster guitarist with flashes of brilliance but really needs some songwriting help. Especially when it comes to vocal melodies and lyrics.
100% agreed. The entire Annihilator catalogue seems to be marred by somewhat dull and uninspired lyrics and vocal lines. It's a shame, because there are some truly brilliant moments, but there could be so many more if Waters just stuck to the musical side of things.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:23 am

I hate the singer's voice on Set the World on Fire. (musically it was good)
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:34 am

I always imagined with Set the World on Fire that Waters didn't notice Aaron Randall's massive lisp in the audition process. Then when it came to recording the album, it became more and more apparent until it was too late... they'd already thet the world on fire.

...I don't think that one will be going in my stand-up routine.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 8:49 am

I'd have to say CARNIVAL DIABLOS is my fave post-ALICE disc.

Worst, I'd have to say ALL FOR YOU. Padden's vocals were textbook definition of "irritating" on that record.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

Im only a casual Annihilator fan.Other than the first two I like Carnival Diablos and the newest S/T is really good.Their worst IMO is Metal.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:08 am

Great topic Ult!

Being a huge fan of Annihilator, i particularly enjoy Waking the fury and Carnival Diablos, which are in my top ten thrash metal albums of all time.

I also consider their latest self titled album to be very good. It just needs repetitive listens to really start enjoying it.

Surprisingly, i also enjoy Metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:31 am

Smindas wrote:
I always imagined with Set the World on Fire that Waters didn't notice Aaron Randall's massive lisp in the audition process. Then when it came to recording the album, it became more and more apparent until it was too late... they'd already thet the world on fire.

Randall reminded me of Daffy Duck at times... I think Jeff should redo the vocals himself on that one.
Back to top Go down
skullkrusher
Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

The only two I own besides ALICE and NEVERLAND are CRITERIA and SET THE WORLD ON FIRE, both of which, IMHO, suck.

Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Smindas wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear I read somewhere that it was actually the production that made Aaron Randall sound like he had the lisp.

His vocals made me very unsure of Annihilator when I first heard that cd, but I came to appreciate them and think they work in some of the songs pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator discussion...   Annihilator discussion... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Annihilator discussion...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next