Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Megadeth discussion...

Go down 
+23
metalheaded
Tall Tyrion
TheGooch
Selvmord
metalinmyveins
EvyMetal
DallasBlack
powermacho
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
mc666
thejokeriv
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
Mattallica667
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
MetalRob331
Stender
zombiewalkin
XYZ
Thrasher73
ultmetal
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
In the end ppl can say Dave was in Metallica and they stole his riffs, but we wouldn't have those great cd's if Dave was in the band and we wouldn't of gotten Megadeth either. So all in all it came out great imo...
I disagree. I personally think that if Dave remained, Metallica would have been 10 times better than the Metallica and Megadeth that we've gotten.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I think Megadeth were a very powerful, great band at one time.

The first 2 albums are killer, the 3rd still good, and even though I don't care for it, I can't deny that RIP isn't a metal monster. After that something happened.
well put. i'd agree with this 100%, with the exception that i love R.I.P.

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:36 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
So if I have a chance to get Youthanasia in a trade I should?

Yessir! Just like Eyesore, I think it's their best release.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 10:39 pm

Not that it matters whether you're a fan of the band or not to me, but why are so many people down on Megadeth? scratch

The System Has Failed and United Abominations have gotten rave reviews and praise for getting back to that old school sound from everywhere I've seen...
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:43 am

Quote :
No, no, no, no, no - Mustain was NOT "THE" reason why they had success

No you are wrong. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:03 am

Eyesore wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:
So if I have a chance to get Youthanasia in a trade I should?
Hell yeah! It's no thrash album, but I think it's their best release! I love this album. And "Addicted To Chaos" is my favorite Megadeth tune. It also has my least favorite Megadeth tune, "A Tout Le Monde."

Anyway, it's a great album. Just a solid metal album, aside from that one turd.

It's right up there with Countdown for me and Addicted is my favorite track from them as well, that intro pumps me with the drums and the guitar slowly coming in....
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 am

Youthanasia is good album, I was surprised that I liked it. Countdown To Extinction is another one that seems to get overlooked. Take Sweating Bullets off that album and it is good to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 am

"Heelo me...meet the reeeel meee."

Retarded.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 am

spectrefate wrote:

Retarded.

Thank you! I just cannot stand the song as a whole and Mustaine's spoken lyrics are abysmal. I avoided the album like the plague based on that one song. Years later I picked it up and was surprised it was so good minus that one song!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:15 am

zombiewalkin wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Retarded.

Thank you! I just cannot stand the song as a whole and Mustaine's spoken lyrics are abysmal. I avoided the album like the plague based on that one song. Years later I picked it up and was surprised it was so good minus that one song!

Hello me...meet the reeeeal meee and my mistfits way of life....

I like it. It's twisted and Dave's snake-like hiss works to make it even more twisted sounding.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:25 am

I like it too. (although I recognize the cheesy absurdity)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 am

spectrefate wrote:

Retarded.

Yep, can't stand that song.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 am

Quote :
(although I recognize the cheesy absurdity)

I recognize it too....but man it just grates my nerves.....although I do find myself NOT skipping it. I dont know why.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
In the end ppl can say Dave was in Metallica and they stole his riffs, but we wouldn't have those great cd's if Dave was in the band and we wouldn't of gotten Megadeth either. So all in all it came out great imo...
I disagree. I personally think that if Dave remained, Metallica would have been 10 times better than the Metallica and Megadeth that we've gotten.

No way ..that is bull-crap
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:52 pm

I like when a 24 year old tells people who were there how it really was. Sorry, but Ult's right here, not to dis, but listen to the style shift on MOP and you see the lack of any of Dave's chord structures and all of Kirk's.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:30 pm

No, no...you will listen to the youth. Your time has come and gone. You know nothing.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
No, no...you will listen to the youth. Your time has come and gone. You know nothing.

And I did....... lol! .
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
I like when a 24 year old tells people who were there how it really was. Sorry, but Ult's right here, not to dis, but listen to the style shift on MOP and you see the lack of any of Dave's chord structures and all of Kirk's.

Dude you are spot on! Great way to describe it "style shift" that is exactly what my ears hear. Ive been spinning MOP and AJFA today and they are a lot alike. If you listen to KEA and RTL.......hey look tons of similarities!........and what is the connection?.........Dave Mustaine's riffing on the first two albums compared to Kirk's riffing on the later two.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:58 pm

spectrefate wrote:

Retarded.

Now you got me hearing his nasal voice in my head!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm

troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Retarded.

it's not in your head...Dave is behind you. Shocked

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:02 pm

mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Retarded.

it's not in your head...Dave is behind you. Shocked

fainting
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 10:34 pm

To me Mustaine is the Thrash metal legend. Of all the thrash bands, megadeth is the one that I cared about. Their last 2 albums habe been great.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 2:43 am

I won't get into the Metallica/Megadeth argument because I was not listening when both bands came on the scene. I do like the first 5 Metallica albums more than Megadeth but that is my own taste and due to the fact that Metallica was my first metal band. I was there when Countdown came out and it is no doubt my favorite Megadeth album, I REALLY love Sweating Bullets and when I get in a band I will want to do a cover of it. I have recently gotten almost all the early Megadeth albums up til Countdown and must agree that Dave has his own sound and cannot be confused with anyone (not generic at all). I remember liking Youthanasia but got rid of it for some reason (another of many I still need to re-capture) and after that I lost track of them and from what I heard about them (pulling a Metallica) I was not interested until last year when I got United Abominations which IMO is one of the best albums from last year. I'm still trying to get into pre-Countdown Megadeth. While I like the music, it just doesn't keep pulling me back and I don't listen to it much. UA however, is a regular on my playlist and my favorite Megadeth album behind Countdown.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I like it too. (although I recognize the cheesy absurdity)

Of course, sometimes the cheese is the best. (i.e. Peace Sells)
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
zombiewalkin wrote:
Mustaine is THE reason Metallica had success. It was his writing that propelled the vision that Lars and James were trying to achieve. Not to say that Metallica wouldn not have had success but to my ears Dave's writing is sooooo present on the first two albums it is what really drives the best songs on those albums.

No, no, no, no, no - Mustain was NOT "THE" reason why they had success - He did write several riffs on Kill 'Em all, and also some solo's, but here are some factors you are forgetting - All the solo's Dave wrote were changed for the better, and to quote James - "When Kirk came along, of course he wanted his own work on the album, so he took the first four bars of Dave's solo's, and changed the rest - When he changed them, it was always for the better".

One or maybe 1.5 of Dave's riff-work was present on Ride the Lightning - I say 1.5, becaue the riff for the title-track on the album is only based off his riff - And then, he did write the majority of the main Fight Fire with Fire riff - that was it.

And just to make it clear for people, Metallica did not "Steal" the Trapped Under Ice riff - That was one of the riffs that Kirk wrote while he was in Exodus - To quote Kirk - "There was more flexibility in Metallica - Everyone contributed something. In Exodus, everyone wanted it to do it their way - The drummer only wanted to play a certain way, etc. It also took some weight off my shoulder in terms of writing - In Exodus, I was writing everything

Well, I think it's a little presumptuous to think that Dave Mustaine was the reason Metallica had success, because I think they were on that track regardless, especially after they sacked McGovney, and picked up Cliff. Dave is a great musician, but where he delivered the most was the attitude that he brought on stage. It was widely known that James wasn't one who talked with the crowd between songs...it was Dave who took that duty on. It's strange to not see the lead vocalist take on that duty, but that was how aprehensive Hetfield was about being the center of attention.

I agree with you on the solos's thing. There is definitely too much made out of that whole thing. Mustaine had stated years ago that he basically was the reason that Kirk won guitarist of the year in some publication, claiming that Kirk ripped him off. I've listened to enough early material with Mustaine in the band, and Kirk on the "Kill 'Em All For One" tour to know that the solos are totally different. Like you stated, it was the first four bars of each solo that Kirk used, and the rest was all Kirk.

Dave has even claimed that his riffs could be heard on "Master of Puppets" with that of "Leper Messiah". He claimed that "Leper Messiah" was originally penned "The Hills Ran Red", and that what you hear was some of his work on that song. I don't know if he wanted residuals from that album or if he was just pissed that his riffs were still being used, but he wasn't happy.

What I do know is, Dave deserves his due. I think it's unfair to look down on what he's been able to accomplish, and he certainly is one of the most important figures of the trash movement. I think what has plagued Dave and those in Megadeth the most in comparison to Metallica have been #1 Dave's dependency issues. We all know that Metallica were known as "Alcoholica" and have their demons regarding drugs and the like, but Dave for a while was a complete mess. It's amazing the guy is still alive. #2 Metallica were always the more accessible band. They were always more fan friendly, and frankly Dave was always seen as difficult to deal with, whether it be with fans or band members. #3 Megadeth was hurt by rotating band members. Just to much shuffling going on over the years. I couldn't stand this as a fan of theirs!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Megadeth discussion...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next