Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Megadeth discussion...

Go down 
+23
metalheaded
Tall Tyrion
TheGooch
Selvmord
metalinmyveins
EvyMetal
DallasBlack
powermacho
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
mc666
thejokeriv
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
Mattallica667
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
MetalRob331
Stender
zombiewalkin
XYZ
Thrasher73
ultmetal
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 pm

When you hear a Megadeth song, you KNOW it's Megadeth. Nothing generic about them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 3:26 am

It will be interesting to see if Metallica can top Megadeth's last two releases. I think "The System Has Failed" and "United Abominations" are both outstanding, especially the former (IMHO).

Frankly, even though Metallica's new album will debut at number one and sell a lot more copies, I doubt that it will genuinely be a better metal album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:45 am

Squidster wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Metallica can top Megadeth's last two releases. I think "The System Has Failed" and "United Abominations" are both outstanding, especially the former (IMHO).

Frankly, even though Metallica's new album will debut at number one and sell a lot more copies, I doubt that it will genuinely be a better metal album.

I'm with you on UA, I love that album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 am

I think United Abominations is better than Countdown to extincton and youthananasia which i found dissapointing which is ok considering i bought them with a gift card
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Whether or not you like Megadeth is a matter of opinion, but they are
NOT generic. While not wanting to slag on young people per se,
The only way I can see someone could come to that opinion is if they
came to all of the early thrash albums at a later date, rather than
having experienced them when they first came out.

And IMO, Dave was heavily influential not only through Megadeth, but
also through Metallica. In the early days of Metallica, Dave was the
only guitar player. He taught James the downpicking style that gives
both bands their heaviness and crunch. He didn't invent it, but he did
bring it into Metallica and helped to shape their sound.

And is
my memory failing or was Dave credited on MOP? I thought he was, but
perhaps not. Either way KEL and RTL have Dave's signature sound all
over them. All props to Metallica as players, but their songwrinting
definitely changed when they ran out of Dave's old practice tapes to
cull for riffs, and not for the better, IMO.

Last edited by Tall Tyrion on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 3:07 pm

I am Person 3 in the original post.

I love both bands! They both have a tremendously important place in my musical journey, since I grew up on them, along with many, many other metal bands in the 80s.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Both band are great but Metallica is not good anymore compared to Megadeth.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 4:41 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:

I can agree with that.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm

And is
my memory failing or was Dave credited on MOP? I thought he was, but
perhaps not. Either way KEL and RTL have Dave's signature sound all
over them. All props to Metallica as players, but their songwrinting
definitely changed when they ran out of Dave's old practice tapes to
cull for riffs, and not for the better, IMO.[/quote]

No, he wasn't credited on MOP. He felt he should've been. Years ago according to Dave, he recognized some of his work on "Leper Messiah". He claimed that the original title of the song was the "Hills Ran Red". I think Metallica had more than enough capable guitar riffs between James and Kirk to go around. I think more than anything, they missed what Cliff brought to the table.

Another interesting side note involving MOP is that there was an L.A. band called critical mass in 1981 who came up with one of the main riffs, which was then later used in "Welcome Home Sanitarium". The song is on one of the Metallica bootlegs that I own.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Quote :
I think United Abominations is better than Countdown to extincton and youthananasia which i found dissapointing which is ok considering i bought them with a gift card

Classic.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:

I personally like Load and Reload better then UA. The songwriting just isn't there with Dave. As far as all the feud between the bands. Dave is Dave he thinks he is better then every other musician out there. He didn't have any influence on Metallica other then a few riffs. Do you think those riffs made them famous. Metallica is known for diversity when playing, not just full blown thrash. IMO Megadeth hasnt been the same sing Cryptic Writings. Dave lost all his songwriting abilities. UA is a good album but not great..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 5:40 pm

MetalRob must die.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
MetalRob must die.

OOPS DID I SAY THAT?

A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 47715
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Since I'm a soldier, I'm the guy in the tank.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:04 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

I personally like Load and Reload better then UA. The songwriting just isn't there with Dave. As far as all the feud between the bands. Dave is Dave he thinks he is better then every other musician out there. He didn't have any influence on Metallica other then a few riffs. Do you think those riffs made them famous. Metallica is known for diversity when playing, not just full blown thrash. IMO Megadeth hasnt been the same sing Cryptic Writings. Dave lost all his songwriting abilities. UA is a good album but not great..

Thats very interesting
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:23 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Since I'm a soldier, I'm the guy in the tank.

I got soul by i'm not a soldier. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 12:42 am

I agree... we need to smear MetalRob with honey and bury him in an anthill.

And THEN we bring out the tank. A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 47715
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 9:16 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I agree... we need to smear MetalRob with honey and bury him in an anthill.

And THEN we bring out the tank. A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 47715

lol!

If you listen to the "No Life Till Leather" demo you will realize that almost the entire Kill Em All album is that demo. It was Kill Em All that exploded Metallica onto the scene in the early days. It is A MOST IMPORTANT album.....more important than Ride The Lightning imo. So yeah Dave had A LOT to do with thier initial success.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 am

I know Mustaine has writing credits for the songs The Four Horsemen, Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, and Metal Militia. These are all great songs. Dave even took the Four horsemen song and put it onto Killing if i'm not mistaken under the name Mechanix?

My opinion is that Dave has a very bad ego problem and always seems to blame others around him for his problems. Yes he has a few riffs on Kill Em' All but that is not what made Metallica successful imo.

It all boils down to the records imo. Metallica released far superior albums then Megadeth did. Does Dave get the credit for that? I like Megadeth but Dave shouldn't worry about what Metallica's doing everyday...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I know Mustaine has writing credits for the songs The Four Horsemen, Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, and Metal Militia. These are all great songs. Dave even took the Four horsemen song and put it onto Killing if i'm not mistaken under the name Mechanix?

My opinion is that Dave has a very bad ego problem and always seems to blame others around him for his problems. Yes he has a few riffs on Kill Em' All but that is not what made Metallica successful imo.

It all boils down to the records imo. Metallica released far superior albums then Megadeth did. Does Dave get the credit for that? I like Megadeth but Dave shouldn't worry about what Metallica's doing everyday...

You are really discounting Dave's work on Kill 'Em All. He doesn't "have a few riffs", he wrote many of the songs. Dave didn't take "the Four Horsemen" and rename the song. Rather the song was originally titled "Mechanix" and was written by Dave. Metallica took Dave's song, retitled it and rewrote the lyrics. I don't know how anyone could historically discount Dave's contributions to early Metallica? It was more than just "a few riffs." Prehaps if you were talking about "Ride the Lightning" you could say they used a few of Dave's riffs, which indeed they did. But "Kill 'Em All" was as much Dave as it was the rest of those guys.

Whether anyone likes Megadeth better, or Metallica better was not the point of the discussion. The point of the discussion was people calling Megadeth "generic" when in fact Dave was one of the innovators or thrash metal.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:15 am

Mustaine is definately not generic considering he helped invent thrash. Some people these days are ignorant.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

You are really discounting Dave's work on Kill 'Em All. He doesn't "have a few riffs", he wrote many of the songs. Dave didn't take "the Four Horsemen" and rename the song. Rather the song was originally titled "Mechanix" and was written by Dave. Metallica took Dave's song, retitled it and rewrote the lyrics. I don't know how anyone could historically discount Dave's contributions to early Metallica? It was more than just "a few riffs." Prehaps if you were talking about "Ride the Lightning" you could say they used a few of Dave's riffs, which indeed they did. But "Kill 'Em All" was as much Dave as it was the rest of those guys.

Whether anyone likes Megadeth better, or Metallica better was not the point of the discussion. The point of the discussion was people calling Megadeth "generic" when in fact Dave was one of the innovators or thrash metal.

I dont discount his work on the disc i just feel he thinks that whole disc is his. He is credited with 4 songs if he had more i'm sure he would've got credited for them. As far as being generic when Megadeth first came out they were trying to be the most furious band on the planet. IDK if they did that as i think that Killing is mediocre at best.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am

Quote :
they were trying to be the most furious band on the planet. IDK if they did that as i think that Killing is mediocre at best.

They had a very small budget that didn't represent the songs right.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I dont discount his work on the disc i just feel he thinks that whole disc is his. He is credited with 4 songs if he had more i'm sure he would've got credited for them. As far as being generic when Megadeth first came out they were trying to be the most furious band on the planet. IDK if they did that as i think that Killing is mediocre at best.

Glenn Rogers is credited with ONE writing credit on the first Deliverance CD. Ask him how many songs he actually had a hand in writing on that album. Glenn didn't play a note on the first Vengeance Rising record "Human Sacrifice", ask him how much of a role he played in the importance of that record. It's no different with Kill 'Em All. Metallica gave Dave credit where they had to and that is it, but his role in that monumental metal album is forever cemented in history.

Great discussion BTW. I enjoyed reading everyone's response to this debate I had on another board. Very cool.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:38 am

troublezone wrote:
Quote :
they were trying to be the most furious band on the planet. IDK if they did that as i think that Killing is mediocre at best.

They had a very small budget that didn't represent the songs right.

Yea i remember them saying they got 8k to do the record and spent 4 of it on drugs. I love Megadeth with the Dave2, Marty, and Nick line-up. I just never thought Dave was a great songwriter meaning the hooks and the melodies that other thrash bands had. He is a great talent and i agree one of the true thrash players but something about his songwriting that always made me go elsewhere on them early releases.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Megadeth discussion...   A Megadeth discussion... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Megadeth discussion...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next