Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Origins of Heavy Metal

Go down 
+36
AchrisK
MetalH
Leatherface
UltraMagnus007
rattpoison
spiritoradio
journeyman
Wargod
shamgar75
TheGooch
EvyMetal
SAHB Healer
sam
romeolimagolf
Stender
James B.
Invader
DeathCult
mc666
the sentinel
biddle
XYZ
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Mordor
zombiewalkin
QuothTheRaven
DallasBlack
tohostudios
MoonChild
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which is your favorite?
Black Sabbath
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 38% [ 23 ]
Judas Priest
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 25% [ 15 ]
Deep Purple
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 7 ]
Steppenwolf
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Led Zeppelin
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 9 ]
Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
UFO
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Jimi Hendrix
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Yardbirds
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Iron Butterfly
Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 60

AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:42 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I remember reading in one book on the History of Heavy Metal that the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" was on of the earliest "metal" songs. Not sure I agree, but I can see where that opinion might be valid.

"Helter Skelter" has been covered by many metal bands and it *is* one of their harder-rocking tunes so I can kinda understand that sentiment.

I had a friend in high school who was a Beatlemaniac and he would constantly tell me that their "Paperback Writer" was the first "metal" song. Now that's an odd pick. Shocked

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:44 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
Bands like Zeppelin, MC5, Cream, the Doors,
the Yardbirds, etc, were highly influential for their louder, more
distorted, more aggressive compositions,

Good list. The Kinks would deserve a mention as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Laugh all you want, but if you ask me, the first metal songs were written by Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. They just played them on piano sans distortion. But the same energy is in alot of their work that is in metal. Except for the corpse paint and rubber-banded goatees, of course.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 3:25 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Laugh all you want, but if you ask me, the first metal songs were written by Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. They just played them on piano sans distortion. But the same energy is in alot of their work that is in metal. Except for the corpse paint and rubber-banded goatees, of course.

I won't laugh at that, I think you may be onto something there.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 3:27 pm

Very tough, I'm torn between JUDAS PRIEST and DEEP PURPLE.

Not a bad list at all though Scott. The only other band I think I'd include in this is DIAMOND HEAD, as I really do consider them to be the basis for thrash.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 4:07 pm

My favorite band on the list is Judas Priest. Can't say what band is the inventor of metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
Bands like Zeppelin, MC5, Cream, the Doors,
the Yardbirds, etc, were highly influential for their louder, more
distorted, more aggressive compositions,

Good list. The Kinks would deserve a mention as well.

Do you own MC5's debut album Kick Out The Jams? Actually, for anyone who doesn't own it, you need to check it out. It's a live album (never heard of anyone else with a live debut album) of proto-punk/rock'n'roll/proto-metal excellence. Very raw, yet powerful recording. Very short, too.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 4:40 pm

I voted for Priest, but I have to say that imho Sabbath was the heaviest from the get go. Both Priest and DP took a few albums to become very heavy (for the time period, anyway). I know that's not the only criteria, which is why I didn't vote for them. I believe Priest really refined and defined the true heavy metal sound.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 5:26 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I'd agree with your statement and add that several of the early Rockabilly guys had the same attitude. Gene Vincent (of Be Bop a Lula fame) comes to mind. Take a listen to Race With the Devil sometime!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Priest and Sabbath may be more "metal" on Ult's list but I did what was requested and selected my favorite band on the list and that is UFO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:

I'd agree with your statement and add that several of the early Rockabilly guys had the same attitude. Gene Vincent (of Be Bop a Lula fame) comes to mind. Take a listen to Race With the Devil sometime!

So true. Gene Vincent had a metal attitude. He may have been crazier than JLL. Smile
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 6:23 pm

I think Iron Butterfly maybe.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm

I do not think any ONE band "invented" heavy metal. It just slowly evolved from all the new bands imitating their idols and simply taking things a step further.
Although I am too young to remember the origins of metal (late 60's-early 70's), as I understand it, the term "Heavy Metal" used to be considered derogatory, and as such, most bands chose to distance themselves from it. It was Judas Priest who first embraced the term and came out and said, "We are a heavy metal band." I supose, in that sense, you could consider Judas Priest the first heavy metal band. I could be wrong, though as I read that on the internet. We all know how reliable information on the internet is.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 pm

zepp, fav off the list
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm not gonna get into the metal issue agin', but a far as quantum leaps in riff rock I would say the following, taking it from Chuck Berry etc:

1964- The Kinks "You Really Got Me"
1967- Hendrix "Are You Experienced" (or Cream?)
1970- Black Sabbath- S/T
1976- Judas Priest- "Sad Wings"
1978- Judas Priest- "Stained Class"
1983- Metallica- "Kill' 'Em All"

The Stooges were heavy and original enough, but turned out to be more of an influence on Glam & Punk than metal I'd say. I didn't list Zeppelin, Motorhead, or Venom because they were all Rock N' Roll powered up to new levels. They were just building on something that had already been done (great bands though). I suppose Slayer or C. Frost would be next on this list, but you guys know more about that decade than I do.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 8:03 am

Wrong. You're all wrong. Evil or Very Mad

just kidding 🇬🇹 I like reading everyone's thoughts. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 pm

BEETHOVEN
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Black Sabbath. no one played as heavy before they did
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Zeppelin for me.

:montypython:
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:19 pm

I went with Deep Purple they definitely had their part in early metal rise.

IMO each band on that poll had a part in what metal is today so you can't really single anyone of those bands out some did it differently!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Black Sabbath, but I could also said Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. All three of these bands were extremely heavy for their time and pretty much defined what would become heavy metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Priest didn't invent metal, they just improved it. I voted Iron Butterfly
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 12:35 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I'm not gonna get into the metal issue agin', but a far as quantum leaps in riff rock I would say the following, taking it from Chuck Berry etc:

1964- The Kinks "You Really Got Me"
1967- Hendrix "Are You Experienced" (or Cream?)
1970- Black Sabbath- S/T
1976- Judas Priest- "Sad Wings"
1978- Judas Priest- "Stained Class"
1983- Metallica- "Kill' 'Em All"

The Stooges were heavy and original enough, but turned out to be more of an influence on Glam & Punk than metal I'd say. I didn't list Zeppelin, Motorhead, or Venom because they were all Rock N' Roll powered up to new levels. They were just building on something that had already been done (great bands though). I suppose Slayer or C. Frost would be next on this list, but you guys know more about that decade than I do.

1980- Diamond Head- Lightning To The Nations

You forgot one Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:34 am

Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild, which includes the line "... Heavy Metal Thunder."

Great band.

Some people even consider Grand Funk Railroad to be one of the first "Heavy Metal" groups also, so who knows.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:31 am

Out of all those bands, the Yardbirds. But that's my anglophile R&B preference showing. Although i'd take The Pretty Things, Stones, Kinks, Small Faces over them.

One band that should be talked about is Seattle's the Sonics. 1965 they were singing about Witches, drinking Strychnine etc. Like Chuck Berry 10 times too far gone. They even punched holes in the amplifiers to distort themselves more. Really important to any fast, heavy, loud rock that came since.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   Origins of Heavy Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Origins of Heavy Metal
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next