Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Origins of Heavy Metal

Go down 
+36
AchrisK
MetalH
Leatherface
UltraMagnus007
rattpoison
spiritoradio
journeyman
Wargod
shamgar75
TheGooch
EvyMetal
SAHB Healer
sam
romeolimagolf
Stender
James B.
Invader
DeathCult
mc666
the sentinel
biddle
XYZ
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Mordor
zombiewalkin
QuothTheRaven
DallasBlack
tohostudios
MoonChild
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which is your favorite?
Black Sabbath
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap38%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 38% [ 23 ]
Judas Priest
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap25%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 25% [ 15 ]
Deep Purple
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap12%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 12% [ 7 ]
Steppenwolf
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap2%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Led Zeppelin
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap15%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 15% [ 9 ]
Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap0%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
UFO
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap2%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Jimi Hendrix
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap3%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Yardbirds
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap0%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Iron Butterfly
origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_lcap3%origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 60

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Empty
PostSubject: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 8:56 am

The origins of HEAVY METAL! Which do you prefer. Vote!

Also, what band do you think was the first metal band? Doesn't have to be one of the bands I listed. Most of the band's I listed had their start in the 1960's or very early 70's.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 am

Chuck Berry = deep Metal ancestry/attitude/speed

Beatles = some elements

Sabbath = first true Metal band.

Just one opinion.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 am

I've always view Black Sabbath as being the origins of metal, although Zeppelin probably deserves as much credit as Sabbath. However, you can go even deeper and look to bands like Steppenwolf (who many say coined the phrase Heavy Metal), Cream, Iron Butterfly, Amboy Dukes, Alice Cooper, etc.

It's nearly impossible to pin down and exact "first", but these were certainly the proto-metal bands that helped to inspire many others down the road.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:01 am

Priest.

Sabbath may have invented it, but Priest refined it.

No Priest = No Metal.

🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:01 am

I'm not touching this subject. Smile
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 am

Black Sabbath
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 am

I voted Zeppelin; not because I think they invented metal but because they're my favorite from that list.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:20 am

tohostudios wrote:
I voted Zeppelin; not because I think they invented metal but because they're my favorite from that list.

Yes, the POLL is for your favorite, no necessarily for "the first".

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:21 am

I went for Priest. I've only been a casual fan of the others mentioned so my vote was obvious.

Can't say who invented it, too much of a difficult origin to pinpoint.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:33 am

I voted Zeppelin for my favorite from the list.

All of those bands/artists gave us some elements of what we call heavy metal, but IMO, I think there are three that rise above the rest. Zeppelin gave us the overall style, Sabbath gave us the darkness and a heavier sound, Priest put them all together and refined the style into what we now call metal. I agree with Freddy, without Priest, specifically without "Sad Wings of Destiny," metal as we know it today would not exist.

Geez, I sound like a college professor! Sleep
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 am

Sabbath for me. They were truely "metallic" to my ears.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 am

I remember reading in one book on the History of Heavy Metal that the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" was on of the earliest "metal" songs. Not sure I agree, but I can see where that opinion might be valid.

Metal student
Metal student
Mordor

Number of posts : 123

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 9:58 am

Sabbath for me. Back when I was a little kid (14) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath started all of this for me. So they hold a speical place in my heart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofmetal.dk
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 am

Sabbath! Zepplin also contributed some metal like elements though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:15 am

Favorite on the list - Priest
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:28 am

Mighty Zep was who I voted for.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:28 am

Since Korn wasn't a choice, I voted for Priest. While Sabbath may have invented it, Priest seemed to embrace the genre and never had a problem with the "Heavy Metal" label.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Priest.

No Priest = No Metal.

🤘

Bingo!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:34 am

Voted for Zep. As for the origins of metal, the Yardbirds could have been the start of the metal revolution. Page, Beck, and Clapton all got their start in the Yardbirds. All three were vital in the development of heavy metal.

In my opinion, metal would have come about with or without Priest. It might have taken a little longer though.
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:35 am

SABBATH! 🤘
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Priest.

No Priest = No Metal.

🤘

Awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 pm

the mighty Priest... i agree 100% with freddy.

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:26 pm

BLACK SABBATH
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 pm

xyz wrote:
Voted for Zep. As for the origins of metal, the Yardbirds could have been the start of the metal revolution. Page, Beck, and Clapton all got their start in the Yardbirds. All three were vital in the development of heavy metal.

In my opinion, metal would have come about with or without Priest. It might have taken a little longer though.

I thought about including the Yardbirds, but since Zeppelin was basically an extension of the Yardbirds, I went with them instead. The Yardbirds didn't really have any hard rock or metal in their sound either, although they certainly did have some big names in that band at one time or another.

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:39 pm

My fvourite metal band is Priest, but I voted Sabbath because IMO they're the first real metal band. Bands like Zeppelin, MC5, Cream, the Doors, the Yardbirds, etc, were highly influential for their louder, more distorted, more aggressive compositions, but there's much more to metal than volume and distortion. Nevertheless, with their largely fantasty-based lyrics and often dark moods, Zeppelin was definitely the closest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Heavy Metal   origins - Origins of Heavy Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Origins of Heavy Metal
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next