Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)

Go down 
+12
ghost
rattpoison
DeathCult
thejokeriv
ultmetal
jstate
zombiewalkin
nevermore
Shiney
HellRaiser
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Empty
PostSubject: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Any fans of this Helix hard rock/metal group?

I have loved them since hearing Rock You on MTV back in 1985 (I think). Deep Cuts The Knife was a minor American hit I heard on local radio and I bought Long Way To Heaven shortly afterwards and have been hooked ever since.

My favorite of theirs is Wild In The Streets. That album has an undeniable energy. Smile

If you are curious about the band, you can listen to most of their albums on Brian Vollmer's Helix site at : http://www.planethelix.com/Albums/AlbumsMain.htm
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Used to dig the tunes "Heavy Metal Love" (which a local metal radio show used to use as its intro music many years ago) and "Rock You," but never owned any of their albums. It's been years since I've heard'em.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 12:44 pm

My guitar teacher worked with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Love Helix - they're about as straight-forward as hard rock can get (in a good way of course)

I have Walking the Razor's Edge, Wild In The Streets, The Power Of Rock And Roll (their latest) and the 'Over 60 Minutes With..' compilation, although I plan on getting 'No Rest For The Wicked' soon.

Brian Vollmer still takes the band out every summer. I'll probably end up checking them out as they're coming around my area.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Brian is very down to Earth as well. I've spoken to him via email and he's very approachable. I'd love to see them live.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Always been one of my favs. Saw them on the Long Way to Heaven tour. Brians tight white jeans ripped right at the crotch, so he sang the whole set with his pink and black tiger striped package hanging out. At the end of the show the drummer threw out his stick. Me, my bud, and some other guy were wrestling for it. I looked at my bud and he knew exactly what was gonna happen. I let go, punched the guy on the side of his head and my bud ripped it out of his hand. Very juvenile, I know. But I WAS juvenile [15, I think].

R.I.P. Paul Hackman - one of the most under-rated guitarists of the genre.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2008 1:53 pm

HELIX has been a stalwart fave of mine since like 1984....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 am

I always dug this band. I used to have Wild In The Strrets,Walkin' The Razor's Edge and Long Way To Heaven on cassette. I'd like to pick these on disc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:37 am

nevermore wrote:
I always dug this band. I used to have Wild In The Strrets,Walkin' The Razor's Edge and Long Way To Heaven on cassette. I'd like to pick these on disc.

Here ya go Smile

http://www.planethelix.com/Store/CDs.htm
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 10:27 am

Man I remember when I first saw the video for Rock You......the guitar player coming out of the water with the Les Paul was totally rawkin with coolness! I too need to pick up some of their stuff on cd as well.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 am

Aside from the music, as a kid I always thought the name Helix and the logo were the coolest things.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 11:12 am

I'm gonna give the "Kings of Canada" title to ANVIL! :bangyerhead:

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 am

ultmetal wrote:

Anvil are the kings of Canadian Metal, Helix rules the hard rock section. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 am

spectrefate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Anvil are the kings of Canadian Metal, Helix rules the hard rock section. Smile

OK, then I give the Kings of Canadian Hard Rock to KILLER DWARFS! 🤘

See, I always have to be disagreeable. lol!

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:02 pm

What a pain.

If you're going to be that way, I'm taking the metal crown of Canada and giving it to Annihilator.

Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) 19976
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Triumph, Triumph, Triumph!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:10 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
Triumph, Triumph, Triumph!

Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) TRIUMPH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Awww. For a three piece they wrote some great rock n roll. Helix is good, don't get me wrong, but I grew up with Triumph.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Triumph's good. I just like an excuse to put out Triumph The Insult Comic Dog. Smile
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Rush anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Sweeney Todd ruled!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 pm

I've always liked Helix, I still only have cassettes though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 pm

What the hell happened to this thread?
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 12:44 am

spectrefate wrote:

I think it turned into a 'Name that random Canadian band' thread Laughing

SAXON1500 wrote:
Sweeney Todd ruled!

Their second album (If Wishes Were Horses) featuring Bryan Adams (yes THAT Bryan Adams) singing like a 14 year-old girl is absolutely essential listening.

If only for the 'what the hell is going on here?' factor Shocked

Anyway, back to Helix, I've read in interviews that Brian Vollmer cites Slade's Noddy Holder as an influence, so that earns 'em even more bonus points with me.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 am

HellRaiser wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

I think it turned into a 'Name that random Canadian band' thread Laughing

Tragically Hip!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)   Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helix - The Kings of Canadian Hard Rock (that isn't proggy)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next