Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HAIR

Go down 
+16
TheGooch
rattpoison
7thSecond
Required Fields
T-Roy
jstate
DallasBlack
krokus
tohostudios
XYZ
Mortuary
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
SuprimuS
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 8:37 am

Great bands that may fit into this genre:

Y&T
Dokken
Rough Cutt
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 8:41 am

Tangier
Child's Play
Sons of Angels

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm

ultmetal wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Trouble

lol! HAIR - Page 2 647664

They have hair and play metal, what's to laugh about. scratch
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 8:15 pm

LA Guns ('specially when Paul Black was singing)
Tora Tora (iffy to call them that)
Shotgun Messiah (most folks love to hate them)
Icon (look at the band photo on the s/t debut)
Seahags (bumer they only had album)

on the christian side....
Stryper
Neon Cross
Eternal Ryte
Spectra
Elijah John
Isaiah Fox
Holy Soldier (go Robbie)
Gardian / Guardian
Holy Rite (Sean Silas is under=rated and un-appreciated)
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 11:51 pm

Depending upon where you categorize some bands this could be hard, but Great White would obviously get the nod from me. Ratt, Kix, and Cinderella are up there as well. So is Firehouse...Skid Row and Tesla, also... Lots of obscure bands a lot of people don't really listen to would also make the list, like Erotic Suicide, for example.

Also depends on if you include the new era of sleaze/glam like Crashdiet and Nasty Idols, and the like.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 11:53 pm

This is the style of music, along with thrash, that I could really talk about for days and days. I would say 60% of my collection would be categorized as sleaze/glam/hair/melodic hard rock, etc. 25% would be thrash and the rest split between "classic" metal, power metal, etc.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 1:36 am

James B. wrote:
LA Guns ('specially when Paul Black was singing)
Tora Tora (iffy to call them that)
Shotgun Messiah (most folks love to hate them)
Icon (look at the band photo on the s/t debut)
Seahags (bumer they only had album)

Ahh shades of the black leather rock n' roll daze of Paul Black/Robert Stoddard LA Guns.

They could have been a really great band if Tracii's Nikki Sixx delusions and wank god heavy metal diddle-dee-diddle-dee pretensions didn't get in the way.

Btw i wouldn't put the brilliant Sea Hags with the hair lame train of the time. Timeless Rock N' Roll, like a desperate strung out 70's Aerosmith playing the 13th Floor Elevators with a whiff of the Dolls and the Stones.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:31 am

Tyketto!

American Angel

Bride (when this was their bag)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 7:07 pm

RattPoison said....

Quote:
"Btw i wouldn't put the brilliant Sea Hags with the hair lame train of the time. Timeless Rock N' Roll, like a desperate strung out 70's Aerosmith playing the 13th Floor Elevators with a whiff of the Dolls and the Stones."

Music style aside, they had the "image" that just about every other band around went with at the time. Not as feminine as say Poison or Cinderella, still it wasn't no jeans and t-shirt outfit.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:01 pm

Sea Hags, while good, are not worthy of the worship a lot of people heap on them, in my opinion. They weren't really all that different from so many of the bands on the scene.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Electric Angels
Soho Roses

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 8:09 pm

rattpoison wrote:

Btw i wouldn't put the brilliant Sea Hags with the hair lame train of the time.

I wouldn't call the Sea Hags "brilliant" by a long stretch. I saw that band back in the day and to be quite blunt, they blew a$$. My friends and I left the venue before their set was over. The opening act, Babylon A.D., blew'em off the stage.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 12:05 am

Babylon AD....now there's a killer band!

Arttie
Back to top Go down

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 12:52 am

7thSecond wrote:
Vain

So great and so underrated. Deserve way more success than they've ever had.

Stryper, Killer Dwarfs and Slaughter make my list.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 2:13 am

James B. wrote:
RattPoison said....

Quote:
"Btw i wouldn't put the brilliant Sea Hags with the hair lame train of the time. Timeless Rock N' Roll, like a desperate strung out 70's Aerosmith playing the 13th Floor Elevators with a whiff of the Dolls and the Stones."

Music style aside, they had the "image" that just about every other band around went with at the time. Not as feminine as say Poison or Cinderella, still it wasn't no jeans and t-shirt outfit.

HAIR - Page 2 Seahags2

They looked like a bunch of Stones stragglers to me, who else had that image apart from say Izzy Stradlin? Just cause they didn't go round in jeans and shirt's doesn't mean they should be lumped in with the hairspray abusers. What about other bands from that time that had a glammy or rock n' roll dandy look to them like the Dogs d'Amour, London Quireboys or the Throbs. Those bands surely can't be lumped in with those poor mans Journey/Kiss derivative bands that just discovered their girlfriends make up. Or as i like to call it "Life Guard" glam ("Cough" ahem Tuff).

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
Sea Hags, while good, are not worthy of the worship a lot of people heap on them, in my opinion. They weren't really all that different from so many of the bands on the scene.

Again who were like them on the "scene", the Sea Hags had a pretty unique thing going for the time. They shunned heavy metal and dig quite a bit deeper into rock n' roll and were decidely darker which may have something to do with their Seattle heritage (As was their smack habits). The only comparitive i have with them is the Hangmen, but they were more entrenched in the Stooges. Maybe the Rock City Angels.

Fat Freddy wrote:
I wouldn't call the Sea Hags "brilliant" by a long stretch. I saw that band back in the day and to be quite blunt, they blew a$$. My friends and I left the venue before their set was over. The opening act, Babylon A.D., blew'em off the stage.

Well obviously i've never seen them live but by going by this 12" piece of wax i have of theirs they freakin' rock n' roll. The record has aged very well, which can't be said for many of their left coast peers.
And anyway aren't all the best rock n' roll bands the ones that put in a sh*tty performance one time and a great performance the next. The unpredictable live bands are the best ones imo as oppossed to the professional ones that give solid performance after the other Sleep.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 3:09 am

tohostudios wrote:
Electric Angels
Soho Roses

As great as London's the Soho Roses are, i wouldn't give them a "hair metal" tag. They had really nothing to do with metal let alone hard rock.

Played Manic Pop Punk in the tradition of the the Buzzcocks with a bit of Chuck Berry via Johnny Thunders thrown in with a penchant for Hanoi Rocks's sunny surfy melodies. More than two steps removed from that lame hair scene.

And this is a direct quote from their myspace "Sounds Like: Not Sunset Strip crap".

And the Electric Angels aswell, they were described as Hanoi Rocks meets the Replacements. They played great heartbreak power pop and dressed it in 70's glitter and snarling Johnny Thunders guitars. Again nothing to do with the lame 80's metal scene.

Last edited by rattpoison on Sat May 24, 2008 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 3:40 am

RattPoison said:

Quote :
They looked like a bunch of Stones stragglers to me, who else had that image apart from say Izzy Stradlin?

Most "hair" bands that began with the transvestite hooker look evolved into the image that was akin to The Stones or Aerosmith. Look at Cinderella in the image they had on Night Songs and compare that to Heartbreak Station. Both Faster Pu$$ycat and L A guns sported the Izzy look as did lots of other bands on the scene.
You have to realize that they were around for a few years before they did the lp and they didn't always look like the photos from that time. I saw them live in the Bay Area as well as L A quite alot before they were signed and that is why I elevate them to a favorite from the scene. They had fun and didn't take themselves too serious. Saw way too many musicians believe in the hype instead of the music. I am not trying to argue by no means, just merely expressing my position a lil more clearly.

Laterz
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 3:45 am

oh yeah I forgot Odin

They were so much better when they first hit the scene and had the dual lead guitar thing going on. I was always surprised at how well Sean Duncan did with Armored Saint.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 4:50 am

Racer X - Second Heat era
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 5:26 am

James B. wrote:
RattPoison said:

Quote :
They looked like a bunch of Stones stragglers to me, who else had that image apart from say Izzy Stradlin?

Most "hair" bands that began with the transvestite hooker look evolved into the image that was akin to The Stones or Aerosmith. Look at Cinderella in the image they had on Night Songs and compare that to Heartbreak Station. Both Faster Pu$$ycat and L A guns sported the Izzy look as did lots of other bands on the scene.
You have to realize that they were around for a few years before they did the lp and they didn't always look like the photos from that time. I saw them live in the Bay Area as well as L A quite alot before they were signed and that is why I elevate them to a favorite from the scene. They had fun and didn't take themselves too serious. Saw way too many musicians believe in the hype instead of the music. I am not trying to argue by no means, just merely expressing my position a lil more clearly.

Laterz

That's cool, i know your very knowledgeable about the scene since you lived it and i respect that. Very Happy

I just think the Sea Hags were coming from a completely different angle with their music (image matching or not), as i said they shunned heavy metal or a watered down version of it like other bands of the time and dug back to the 60's hence the obvious nods to the 13th Floor Elevators, Yardbirds and Stones in their music all put through that big 70's Aerosmith influence they had going.

They were outsiders of the era musically along with Guns N' Roses, Circus Of Power, Mother Love Bone, The Hangmen etc. as opposed to what i would call the 'hair metal' bands which is BulletBoys, Warrant, Tuff, Tora Tora, Babylon A.D. etc.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 10:25 am

RattPoison said:
Quote :
That's cool, i know your very knowledgeable about the scene since you lived it and i respect that. Very Happy

I just think the Sea Hags were coming from a completely different angle with their music (image matching or not), as i said they shunned heavy metal or a watered down version of it like other bands of the time and dug back to the 60's hence the obvious nods to the 13th Floor Elevators, Yardbirds and Stones in their music all put through that big 70's Aerosmith influence they had going.

They were outsiders of the era musically along with Guns N' Roses, Circus Of Power, Mother Love Bone, The Hangmen etc. as opposed to what i would call the 'hair metal' bands which is BulletBoys, Warrant, Tuff, Tora Tora, Babylon A.D. etc.

I hear you with the music thing....an earlier post of mine stated "musical style aside" The scene was kewl and it was lame at the same time. what I liked was the variety of influences you could see in bands before they caught that whiff, so to speak. I auditioned for alot of bands that either declined on me due to my refusal to totaly doll up or they chose a better fit musicily with someone else and you'd see them later on chasing that deal, looking and sounding like the flavor of the day.
Back to top Go down

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 3:20 pm

I would say Twisted Sister or Motley Crue probably, but I'll never been a big Hair Metal fan...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HAIR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HAIR   HAIR - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HAIR
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2