Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PanterA

Go down 
+37
mlotek
sheets
SlaytanicPOWER
Jedilink
7thSaviour
TH Joe
Lurideath
metalinmyveins
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
Leatherface
James B.
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
zombiewalkin
SideShowDisaSter
ThrashedOutCobra33
Thrasher73
the sentinel
Stender
TheGooch
HellRaiser
MetalRob331
kmorg
Shiney
mc666
XYZ
MetalGuy71
AchrisK
Muloc7253
DallasBlack
Rex
INVADERS
krokus
Fat Freddy
SuprimuS
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Either "Cemetary Gates" or "The Art of Shredding". "Walk" gets honorable mention, too. 🤘
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am

Cowboys From Hell 9.75/10
VDOP 10/10
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 11:43 pm

Eh, I tried listening to stuff after Cowboys From Hell but it's like Anselmo forgot how to sing, and learned how to scream and curse a lot. And I don't find that enjoyable.

But yeah I'd say that Cowboys From Hell is a fantastic album and I personally always seem to like listening to Shattered. Not that it's the very best song on the album, but it's usually the first song I'll wanna hear when I start listening to the album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power are two quality records. Everything after that was hit or miss.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:02 am

xyz wrote:
Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power are two quality records. Everything after that was hit or miss.

Exaclty. Far Beyond Driven had a handful of good songs but for the most part was unforgettable and everything after was sub par. Especially the last album which got a few listens before I unloaded it to a used store. As was already said, after Phil lost the ability to sing (in the live album when he sang he sounded like a drunk sailor) they went downhill. Dimebag's solos were still great but not enough to salvage the songs.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:16 am

I saw Pantera open for Black Sabbath on the re-union tour and they were so bad it was almost unlistenable. Phil was so strung-out he couldn't sing at all...and kept screwing up the lyrics.

If I never hear Pantera again it will be okay with me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Jedilink wrote:
Eh, I tried listening to stuff after Cowboys From Hell but it's like Anselmo forgot how to sing, and learned how to scream and curse a lot. And I don't find that enjoyable.

That's me as well. I enjoyed COWBOYS a lot, thought VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER was mediocre at best, and it seemed that on every album after that they were simply trying to be more screamy and abrasive than the last record, so I walked away.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Cowboys From Hell: Awesome Overall albums
Phil CAN sing, Dime's riffing out the ying-yang and soloing of the walls. Awesome Texas metal.

Vulgar Display: A very ANGRY follow up. Very in your face, especially with the change in phils image, going from this long hair mowhawk in shorts, to a buzzed head and a long sleeve in some cases. Dime tunes Drop-D a bunch of times and lets it get punchy, while doing those interesting solos on the Blues progressions Razz (e.g. Walk)

Far Beyond Drive: CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!!!!
Holy smurf poo this album is heavy. Just a distorted crunch fest. Phil's vocals complement this style.

The Great Southern Trendkill: A Couple heavy as hell tracks, some nice slow tracks, i wouldn't rate it on the same level as Far Beyond Driven but it's solid.

Reinventing the Steel: heayv, but it doesn't look like they tried their hardest on this one.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:37 pm

I think 'Reinventing the Steel' is the sound of a band imploding and it was no surprise when the band called it a day soon afterwards.

It was also no secret that Phil was more interested in Down, Superjoint Ritual and being all around a$$hole than being a part of Pantera.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 6:09 pm

I love seeing Anselmo in interviews because he always puts on this "Look at me, I'm so tough and I'll kick your ass for looking at me funny" front that only makes him seem like he's badly overcompensating for something. Lighten up, Francis!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Quote :
Lighten up, Francis!

What movie is that from?
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:23 pm

It's from Stripes Smile

I want to clarify that I do like Pantera's music. It's just that I find Anselmo's posturing tedious.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Phil was really kewl, once surprised

When he first showed up in Arlington. I am still confused where his cajun accent went when he speaks. Seems he worked on making that disappear and the prison yard shot caller persona appear in it's place
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Reading in the back posts of this thread I found that at one time I said concrete sledge was my favorita...dont know where that came from, to straighten it out though, I HATE pantera and ALL groove metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:07 am

manny wrote:
I think 'Reinventing the Steel' is the sound of a band imploding and it was no surprise when the band called it a day soon afterwards.

It was also no secret that Phil was more interested in Down, Superjoint Ritual and being all around a$$hole than being a part of Pantera.

RTS is an amazing album with some killer hooks and riffs.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 8:36 am

I am not sure if I ever said much about Pantera here before. They might have been one of the only bands that got airplay and tried to keep real metal alive in all of the 1990s, but I never liked them much. Dimebag was a good guitarist and was probably a good guy from everything I have read and heard about him, but I don't see why he's a guitar hero.

recently, I got in the mail, PANTERA "Proud to be Loud The Best of Pantera" CD-R.
I don't know if it's a fan made compilation, or a copy off a bootleg CD, but am finding it really enjoyable.
Pretty much like good KISS, ANVIL, early WASP or CRUE, etc
So far, the catchiest song that should have gotten these guys known worldwide was "p*ssy Tight Tonight". Yes, silly lyrics, but great rocking, headbanging tunes usually are not politically correct.

They intro their cover of Metallica's Seek and Destroy as Drink and Destroy and the repeat through out after "alright" with "p*ssy tight", or "p*ssy time", so I guess American underground heavy metal/glam-hair metal bands that also liked some heavier stuff like Metallica, still wanted to keep their original fans ?

Now, that I am getting a good dose of what they were like, I definitely want to collect all the original albums, pre-Cowboys From Hell, as I was never a fan of that stuff. In fact, I always hated Pantera's "heavy"/"thrashy" material a LOT ever since 1990/91.
"Mouth For War" was riffy, but I can't remember anything else I liked by them besides that and one (mellower) tune on a metal radio show I heard once called "Cemetary Gates".
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I enjoyed COWBOYS a lot, thought VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER was mediocre at best, and it seemed that on every album after that they were simply trying to be more screamy and abrasive than the last record, so I walked away.

I never posted in this thread but thought I'd put my 2 cents in. What you said about them I'm in total agreement. Cowboys is fantastic from beginning to end. Vulgar was a slight step down but still listenable. Far Beyond Driven was a used store purchase and very disappointing. For some reason, I bought Trendkill as a new release and was extremely disappointed. I held onto it for a while hoping it would grow on me but ended up getting rid of it. I never bothered with Reinventing The Steel.

The ones I'd like to hear someday are the pre-Cowboys releases.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Huh, another band that I pretty much don't care about, although they were huge in my highschool, along with White Zombie and Sepultura by the very few metalheads there (everyone else listened to country). I will mosey on up to the altar of confession and say that I did buy the Greatest Hits when it was offered on Amazon for $5. There are a few songs that are ok, my favorite being the cover of Cat Scratch Fever followed by Walk and CFH. Beyond that I just don't listen to it. I have heard most of their stuff at one time or another and Phil desperately needs to invest in a dictionary so he can increase his vocabulary beyond words that start with "F".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm

SuprimuS wrote:
why would you even open this page if you dont like them?
if you dont like sombody
let it be
dont rip on em
whatever happened
to
this guy?
I dug
his haiku style
of posting

Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Guess he was "becoming" "shattered" by others "hollow" opinion(s) of Pantera and had to "walk" ?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
I saw Pantera open for Black Sabbath on the re-union tour and they were so bad it was almost unlistenable.  Phil was so strung-out he couldn't sing at all...and kept screwing up the lyrics.  

If I never hear Pantera again it will be okay with me.
Funny. I saw them on that same tour and it was seeing them live that actually made me a fan. Prior to that, I didn't really know them, just knew of them. If Phil was messing up the words, I couldn't tell.

As for the albums...
Still love Cowboys and Vulgar, still don't care much for the 2 that followed and I'm apparently one of the few that actually likes Reinventing the Steel. Go figure.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 5:10 pm

James B. wrote:
Guess he was "becoming" "shattered" by others "hollow" opinion(s) of Pantera and had to "walk" ?
He just needed 5 Minutes Alone before he became F*cking Hostile.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 8:54 pm

mc666 wrote:
James B. wrote:
thumbs up Monty

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 am

mc666 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Paid lol! 

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PanterA - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PanterA   PanterA - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 4:32 pm

A 20th Anniversary edition of Far Beyond Driven is coming out March 25th for those interested. Same album with a 2nd live disc added. Meh.

"Far Beyond Driven: 20th Anniversary Edition" track listing:

Disc One - Original Album Remastered

01. Strength Beyond Strength
02. Becoming
03. 5 Minutes Alone
04. I'm Broken
05. Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills
06. Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks
07. Slaughtered
08. 25 Years
09. Shedding Skin
10. Use My Third Arm