Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dimebag Darrel over-rated?

Go down 
+18
Troublezone
rattpoison
Muloc7253
Stender
XYZ
UltraMagnus007
MetalRob331
Lurideath
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
the sentinel
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
mc666
ThrashedOutCobra33
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is Dimebag Darrell over-rated?
Yes
Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Vote_lcap46%Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 46% [ 24 ]
No
Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Vote_lcap54%Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 54% [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 52

AuthorMessage

Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Even though yuo didn't reply to me, your Damageplan point is just dumb. Rarely, if ever, does a member of a certain bands side project ever live up to their original band.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:26 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Even though yuo didn't reply to me, your Damageplan point is just dumb. Rarely, if ever, does a member of a certain bands side project ever live up to their original band.

I was merely saying I didn't think damageplan was a side project. Pantera was dead, Phil Anselmo was and still is having sucess with Down and I thought Damageplan was Dimebags new band not a side project.

Why couldn't any future band Dimebag started or was part of be bigger and better than Pantera
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:29 pm

It's still not his original band, whether it's a side project or not. Nobody is ever as successful when they leave their original band, which made your point pretty much useless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Yes ! Not a fan of his playing.Plus i just can't respect a guy who drops GD and M'fer bombs every other sentence.Not judging the guy,just how i feel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:31 pm

You're 95, what would you know.

insane
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:39 pm

It's still not his original band, whether it's a side project or not. Nobody is ever as successful when they leave their original band, which made your point pretty much useless.

I disagree. A true metal legend can be as sucessful if not more so than their original band. I agree this is very rare but not impossible. Just look at Ozzy's career after Black Sabbath. Some other examples I can think of include Velvet revolver. Yes no where near as big as GNR but still a big band selling millions of records. Foo fighters have been a huge band for Dave Grohl after nirvana. Soulfly. After Max lef Sepultura their stock plummeted but he coninued to have a moderate amount of sucess.

As I said I agree this is rare but not impossible for someone considered a legend to have a sucessful band/career after their original band hence back to my opinion of Damageplan. The fact that they only released 1 album says that they might have gone on to bigger and better things but it didn't look like many people gave a toss about Damageplan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Quote :
A true metal legend can be as sucessful if not more so than their original band. I agree this is very rare but not impossible.

It still doesn't have anything to do with being overrated or not, imo.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 pm

IronAge wrote:
Yes ! Not a fan of his playing.Plus i just can't respect a guy who drops GD and M'fer bombs every other sentence.Not judging the guy,just how i feel.

I'm surprised your easily offended by cursing since you are a fan of Exodus. Have you heard the lyrics to their most recent records?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 pm

You're 95, what would you know.

insane

Really now? I thought i was sweet sixteen . Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:50 pm

troublezone wrote:
IronAge wrote:

I'm surprised your easily offended by cursing since you are a fan of Exodus. Have you heard the lyrics to their most recent records?

...im only 16 my mummy won't let me buy those mean old Exodus records. Sad
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:50 pm

Quote :
A true metal legend can be as sucessful if not more so than their original band. I agree this is very rare but not impossible.

I really do think Dimebag was a talented guitar player and an important part of the metal scene but when I read in this thread that he is a legend that can be talked about in the same breath as Hendrix and Eddie Van halen then I think yes, he has beome overrated.

Other people have said that he was a legend when he was alive and my point about Damagplan was to say this band was hardly setting the world alight so if he was such a legend then this band would have been bigger.

IMO the manner of his death has turned him into an Icon by some and a legend by others and I don't think he was or is. but still, this is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Damageplan was just getting started and from what i've read they were about to boot Pat Lachman from the band for refusing to sing their Pantera songs. I think they would of made sure they got it right on the next offering. The first record was put together after a messy split with Phil and Rex and they were testing the waters of a new sound but i'm sure their next one would've been a killer return to form.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 7:01 pm

troublezone wrote:
Damageplan was just getting started and from what i've read they were about to boot Pat Lachman from the band for refusing to sing their Pantera songs. I think they would of made sure they got it right on the next offering. The first record was put together after a messy split with Phil and Rex and they were testing the waters of a new sound but i'm sure their next one would've been a killer return to form.

I have heard rumors that they did in fact write and record some songs intended for a 2nd album and that the record label and Vinnie Paul is mulling over wether or not to release them.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:20 am

UltraMagnus007 wrote:
Quote :

I really do think Dimebag was a talented guitar player and an important part of the metal scene but when I read in this thread that he is a legend that can be talked about in the same breath as Hendrix and Eddie Van halen then I think yes, he has beome overrated.

IMO Hendrix is the most over-rated musician in the history of music. Don't get me wrong he came up with some genius songs but his playing is nothing special and is actually pretty simple. I never was a big fan of Hendrix and always wondered why people loved his music so much. IMO what he did at that time was not being done therefore he became an innovator. Does that make him a legend?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:24 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
...what he did at that time was not being done therefore he became an innovator. Does that make him a legend?

I think you just answered your question right there.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:49 am

I was getting at NO! There are tons of musicians in each ERA that brought something new to Rock n Roll. Hendrix was great but still in my eyes is the most over-rated musician to ever walk this earth.

We can say the same thing about Hendrix as well. His death made him out to be more then he was.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 am

Public opinions seem to always be changing. Players that were once huge in their era are now being considered over-rated now days by people that once looked up to them but seem to think they're irrelevant now. They will politely say that they "were a good player" but...
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 7:03 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I was getting at NO! There are tons of musicians in each ERA that brought something new to Rock n Roll. Hendrix was great but still in my eyes is the most over-rated musician to ever walk this earth.

We can say the same thing about Hendrix as well. His death made him out to be more then he was.

You said it yourself when you said he was doing something that wasn't been done before and was an innovator.

His playing was at the time was at odds with the elitist blues purists (ie Clapton and Beck). He knocked guitar playing sideways and upside down. Completely changed the way people looked and played an instrument that wasn't exactly new. Influenced 1000's upon 1000's of people and in many cases thee actual reason they picked the instrument up in the first place.

Overrated not in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 7:40 am

So Dime didnt do the same for kids as well? When i heard some of Dime's licks i ran to the guitar to try and play it.

I'm looking at Hendrix as a guitar player and trust me when i say it Dime's chops to me are harder then Hendrix.

Yes he was an innovator, and he is a great player.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 7:52 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
So Dime didnt do the same for kids as well? When i heard some of Dime's licks i ran to the guitar to try and play it.

I'm looking at Hendrix as a guitar player and trust me when i say it Dime's chops to me are harder then Hendrix.

Of course he did, Dime was one of the few "Heavy Metal guitar heros" of the 90's. His influence is huge. Never disputed that. I don't think he overrated in the slightest.

Just as Jimi Hendrix is.

I trust you that Dime's guitar chops are harder than Hendrix's, but if that's what your basing a guitarist on then your getting it all wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 am

I gonna go with no because he was never rated that high until he was dead. Definately a revolutionary.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 12:52 pm

rattpoison wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Of course he did, Dime was one of the few "Heavy Metal guitar heros" of the 90's. His influence is huge. Never disputed that. I don't think he overrated in the slightest.

Just as Jimi Hendrix is.

I trust you that Dime's guitar chops are harder than Hendrix's, but if that's what your basing a guitarist on then your getting it all wrong.

What i should've said earlier is Hendrix is the most over-rated "guitar player" based on skill. I think the music he played at that time was brilliant but being a guitar player there are far superior players.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Yes.

He is not a bad guitarist, but definitely overrated.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I liked the first 4 PANTERA albums before COWBOYS FROM HELL. Never liked his guitar groove on those other albums.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 5:11 am

emptytomb1 wrote:
So top selling means top talent? Mr Achy Breaky heart is a genius then. You can like the guys and all, but Nirvana rode a wave of being at the right place at the right time. As far as pure musicianship, Grohl was why Nirvana did so well.

You completely misunderstand me. I never said he's good because he has a top selling album, I said that's the reason he's a legend, NOT just because he's dead. People are saying Nirvana wouldn't be big should Kurt not have died. I said they would, because they had one of the best selling albums of all time BEFORE he died. Actually read what I say in context before jumping on the offensive in future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimebag Darrel over-rated?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next