Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dimebag Darrel over-rated?

Go down 
+18
Troublezone
rattpoison
Muloc7253
Stender
XYZ
UltraMagnus007
MetalRob331
Lurideath
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
the sentinel
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
mc666
ThrashedOutCobra33
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is Dimebag Darrell over-rated?
Yes
Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Vote_lcap46%Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Vote_rcap
 46% [ 24 ]
No
Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Vote_lcap54%Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Vote_rcap
 54% [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 52

AuthorMessage
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Empty
PostSubject: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 12:53 am

I personally think not cuz he was just amazing at what he did but ive met metal fans that say hes way to over rated kinda like Van halen or Hendrix
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:10 am

I'm not a huge fam, but I do respect him. I voted no. he's pretty good in his own right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 am

I already hate this thread. It's going to get stupid.

That said. No, he was not overrated. In fact, it would now appear that he's underrated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:15 am

Quote :
I already hate this thread. It's going to get stupid.

This doesn't help. If it gets out of hand, it will be done with. BUt this prediction doesn't help the matter.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 am

Why do u say that eyesore?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:20 am

i voted yes... sure he was an amazing guitarist & his death was a tragedy. i just think that the way that he died gets more emphasis in the media, making him more valuable (to the scene) than he actually was.

it's not a disrespect to the man, but more to the media.

ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:24 am

ya i see ur point
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 5:15 am

- NO! He was an awesome guitarist
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 6:18 am

I voted "yes" he's overrated.

Don't get me wrong, the man was an awesome guitarist, but if he hadn't died so tragically I doubt he'd be getting as many props as he does. If he were still alive, he'd still be in Damageplan, playing hole in the wall clubs to 300 people a night, and he'd still have his cult of fans, but he wouldn't be an icon.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 6:40 am

Yes and No - It depends

It's scary how thin the line is between Over Rated and Under Rated

- All these 15 year-old Hot Topic kids praise him way too much, just because he was in Pantera and because he died

- Some grumpy ol' OLD-SCHOOL-TILL'-DEATH metalheads under rate him a little.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 6:52 am

I voted yes. Now, please don't anyone take that as disrespect to the man or his talents. I certainly was and still am a fan of Pantera and Damageplan, but mc666 and fatfreddy said it best, it was his death and the way he died that elevated him to a higher status. As for the comment of Hendrix and EVH being overrated, I respectfully disagree. Both of those men changed the way people looked at the guitar and how it was played. Both were innovators. DD was not. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 am

mc666 wrote:
sure he was an amazing guitarist & his death
was a tragedy. i just think that the way that he died gets more
emphasis in the media, making him more valuable (to the scene) than he
actually was.

This is my view on it, put into better words by mc666.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 am

i've gotta disagree slightly. even if you think he is overrated (i don't), it wasn't his death that did it.

for example: do ANY of you guys read Guitar World? holy crap, the guy has been a mainstay in that magazine since the early 90's (i started buying the magazine in 1993), always showing up in reader's polls, gracing the cover many, many times, had an extremely popular column for many years - the point is that people had Dime up on a pedestal pretty from the Vulgar Display of Power days. and yeah, he gets some more recognition after he died, but i don't think it's substantially more than what he had during his life.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 am

Overrated, underrated, it's all a matter of opinion. I've never been a big Pantera fan, but there is not doubt that Dime has had an influence on the music scene in general. Look how many bands were cashing in on the Pantera sound at one time. Sure his untimely, tragic death might have immortalized him, but the same thing happened with Randy Rhoads and many other musicians and artists that died before their time.

Now if you wanna talk overrated guitarists, I vote for Stevie Ray Vaughn. Good guitarist, no doubt, but I heard fans talking about him like he was a guitar god. Personally, I just don't hear it. A friend said of him, "he plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." Hardly! However, even if that were true, Hendrix was the innovator, SRV was the follower.

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:22 am

ultmetal wrote:

Now if you wanna talk overrated guitarists, I vote for Stevie Ray Vaughn. Good guitarist, no doubt, but I heard fans talking about him like he was a guitar god. Personally, I just don't hear it. A friend said of him, "he plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." Hardly! However, even if that were true, Hendrix was the innovator, SRV was the follower.

SRV was a follower and he would have been the first to tell you that. He knew who he was and who he owed it all to.

To fully appreciate SRV as the excellent guitarist he was, you have to have seen a live performance by him. Impossible to in real person now, but there are several amazing DVDs showcasing him and his immense talent.

SRV used the guitar as an extension of his soul, Dime was just another metal guitarist that had a little extra something that people latched onto, if you ask me. Perhaps if Dime were in a listenable band, I would appreciate him more, but alas Pantera were terrible, IMO.

But as you stated ult, these are all just opinions. Smile

Btw, I agree with your friend: "he plays Hendrix better than Hendrix." Smile But had Hendrix lived, I feel as though he would have slayed all other guitarists.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:40 am

Nobody plays Hendrix better than Hendrix. The SRV covers were too clean and dry. The originals had an emotion and raw delivery that cannot be matched.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:19 am

He died too young and thus became overrated through no fault of his own.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 am

I think he was a great guitarist and seemed like a cool guy but all this hype after the tradegy makes it seem over-rated.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 11:29 am

Just because people over hype him does not make him over-rated IMO. He was an awesome guitarist and because of the over hype by the mainstream there are some metal fans that just won't give him the credit he deserves.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm

I think he is overrated. Sure he died in a tragic way and watching the footage I seen made me throw up. However, I was not a Pantera fan at all and still hate them to this day. Damageplan were even worse. Was he a good guitarist? Sure he was. But he isn't/wasn't what all these people make him out to be.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 pm

Dime is the man. He was an incredible guitar player and even a better person. NO WAY is he over-rated imo. Dime did a lot for the music industry when Pantera finally broke through the mainstream. He had a huge influence on a lot of people. As a guitarist the man is one of the best and most creative metal guitarists ever...
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the man was an awesome guitarist, but if he hadn't died so tragically I doubt he'd be getting as many props as he does. If he were still alive, he'd still be in Damageplan, playing hole in the wall clubs to 300 people a night, and he'd still have his cult of fans, but he wouldn't be an icon.

Totally agree. The man was a talented guitarist but has become an icon due to the nature of his death. I have come across far more talented guitarists in the metal scene than Dimebag who won't be remembered as much as he will be.

Same thing happened with Kurt Cobain. Yes Nirvana were important to grunge but would he have the same legacy he has now if he hadn't blown his head off with a shotgun.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:00 pm

I voted "no." He crafted some awesome riffs, and tore it up on his solos.

Last edited by xyz on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 pm

UltraMagnus007 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Totally agree. The man was a talented guitarist but has become an icon due to the nature of his death. I have come across far more talented guitarists in the metal scene than Dimebag who won't be remembered as much as he will be.

Same thing happened with Kurt Cobain. Yes Nirvana were important to grunge but would he have the same legacy he has now if he hadn't blown his head off with a shotgun.

I'd be willing to agree with the death part (that definatly moved him up) but IMO Dimebag had infinitely more talent than Cobain.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I'd be willing to agree with the death part (that definatly moved him up) but IMO Dimebag had infinitely more talent than Cobain.

Nearly every professional Rock/Metal guitarist alive has more talent than Cobain ever had.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimebag Darrel over-rated?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next