Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dimebag Darrel over-rated?

Go down 
+18
Troublezone
rattpoison
Muloc7253
Stender
XYZ
UltraMagnus007
MetalRob331
Lurideath
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
the sentinel
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
INVADERS
mc666
ThrashedOutCobra33
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is Dimebag Darrell over-rated?
Yes
Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Vote_lcap46%Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 46% [ 24 ]
No
Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Vote_lcap54%Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 54% [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 52

AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 pm

All the comments concerning the hype coming from his untimely death are true IMO. I remember when I heard the news on the "channel one" TV news we had to watch when I was a freshman in High school. Did anyone catch dime in Guitar hero 3 though?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 am

Dime's death was a tragedy and that shouldn't make him over-rated. Before he died he brought those pummeling riffs and solos to the mainstream and was very influential then as well.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:01 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Before he died he brought those pummeling riffs and solos to the mainstream and was very influential then as well.
i thought that those later day Pantera albums were a complete rip off of Exhorder's Slaughter Of The Vatican. albeit with some slight differences. not enough to make a huge deal of Dimebag. he did do them well though.

MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:08 am

That's why i look at him as not over-rated. People wouldn't know Exhorder's material. Dime played that style and lots of people knew right away who that was because he had that trademark sound.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:35 am

Do people really think that people only started praising Dimebag after his death? I had aonly been a fan of Pantera for a year or so before then, but I remember him being the central point and rated by most non-oldschool metalheads as one of the greatest ever.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:51 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:

Same thing happened with Kurt Cobain. Yes Nirvana were important to grunge but would he have the same legacy he has now if he hadn't blown his head off with a shotgun.

I'd be willing to agree with the death part (that definatly moved him up) but IMO Dimebag had infinitely more talent than Cobain.

Nearly every professional Rock/Metal guitarist alive has more talent than Cobain ever had.

Do you guys want me to drag your asses out again like last time.

Sure a tragic premature death of an artist helps in adding to the cult and romance of the deceased artist but it's a folly to believe the hype of someone's untimely death makes their body of work overrated.

Look at any great artist that met an untimely end whether it be Nick Drake or Chris Bell or Kurt Cobain. Their music and influence speaks for itself.

Same applies to Dime, even though i'm not a fan. The guy was probably the only genuine heavy metal guitar hero of the 90's, his work with Pantera took heavy metal in a new direction and influenced countless bands. That's how history will judge him.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:56 am

No way is he over-rated! He was an innovator of power groove metal and he also was a master of harmonics that played like no one before him. Like Hendrix was to the 70's and Van Halen to the 80's Dimebag was "the" metal guitarist of the 90's. He was already popular before his death so the over-rated after death thing is plain stupid! I know his playing got a bit generic after Vulgar Display but overall he still had alot of integrity and creativity until the end.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:59 am

ParanoidTime wrote:
i've gotta disagree slightly. even if you think he is overrated (i don't), it wasn't his death that did it.

for example: do ANY of you guys read Guitar World? holy crap, the guy has been a mainstay in that magazine since the early 90's (i started buying the magazine in 1993), always showing up in reader's polls, gracing the cover many, many times, had an extremely popular column for many years - the point is that people had Dime up on a pedestal pretty from the Vulgar Display of Power days. and yeah, he gets some more recognition after he died, but i don't think it's substantially more than what he had during his life.

I agree with you
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 am

rattpoison wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:

Same thing happened with Kurt Cobain. Yes Nirvana were important to grunge but would he have the same legacy he has now if he hadn't blown his head off with a shotgun.

I'd be willing to agree with the death part (that definatly moved him up) but IMO Dimebag had infinitely more talent than Cobain.

Nearly every professional Rock/Metal guitarist alive has more talent than Cobain ever had.

Do you guys want me to drag your asses out again like last time.

Sure a tragic premature death of an artist helps in adding to the cult and romance of the deceased artist but it's a folly to believe the hype of someone's untimely death makes their body of work overrated.

Look at any great artist that met an untimely end whether it be Nick Drake or Chris Bell or Kurt Cobain. Their music and influence speaks for itself.

Same applies to Dime, even though i'm not a fan. The guy was probably the only genuine heavy metal guitar hero of the 90's, his work with Pantera took heavy metal in a new direction and influenced countless bands. That's how history will judge him.

Relax, dude! It's just our opinions. Remember what happened to me when I started arguing people's opinions? Don't be like me, just let it go.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:00 pm

This thread is ridiculous. 'Nevermind' was one of the best selling albums of all time. Literally. That's what made Nirvana so famous. 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was also one of the best selling singles of all time.

And as I already said, Dimebag is was seen as a God before he died. I remember people having similiar 'is he overated?' discussions back then aswell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 1:07 pm

So top selling means top talent? Mr Achy Breaky heart is a genius then. You can like the guys and all, but Nirvana rode a wave of being at the right place at the right time. As far as pure musicianship, Grohl was why Nirvana did so well.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 pm

no cos he was one hell of a guitar player. i cant judge guitarists anyway.. i play bass
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 pm

TheGooch wrote:
i play bass

...this week. You left that part out.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:41 pm

spectrefate wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
i play bass

...this week. You left that part out.

actually i also own a Dean but i am not going to say i can play guitar to great standard so shove it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Some people say his death made him overrated. I say it's the opposite. This is a guitarist was considered a legend before his death! So why does it need to be justified after? Because a bunch of kids jumped on a bandwagon? Yeah, that's annoying and stupid. But why then tear Dimebag down? It's like his death became an annoyance to people because they didn't like the attitudes of the mainstream dingleberries latching onto his nuts, so they then decided to declare Dimebag as overrated.

Did his death make him overrated? In some circles, sure. But he's clearly underrated now. Dude was a living legend. Death doesn't change that. Well, it changes part of it, I guess. Haha.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Was Dimebag a talented guitarist, absolutely, but a living legend Mmmmm......

I always liked his style and rated cowboys from hell very highly but never really liked much else about pantera. I know Damageplan was only really just starting out but Dimebag died in a sweaty club playing to a couple of hundred people. The Damageplan album got very mediorce reviews and their was not the same excitement surrounding them that Pantera got. Would this have changed, who knows but if he was such a living legend then any band he started after Pantera would have been a major big deal.

Really this guy should be remembered as a talented guitarist who died a tragic death.

If people turn him into this legend then that will invite people to crticise and knock him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

He was a legend before he died. This is indisputable. Revisionist opinions are worthless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Quote :
The Damageplan album got very mediorce reviews and their was not the same excitement surrounding them that Pantera got.

Most every time a band breaks up, this is the case on the members side projects.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Eyesore wrote:
He was a legend before he died. This is indisputable. Revisionist opinions are worthless.

I dispute that he was a legend. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Death shouldn't make the way we look at an individual different. Dime was one of the most loved musicians out there before his death, and when Pantera blew up there wasn't a guitarist out there who was more of an instant legend imo.

And as for Damageplan, that wasn't supposed to be serious. That was musicians making music and thats it.

Just look at what Dime did for Metal in the 90's and he gave us some of the best metal tunes that still to this day rock harder then most.

RIP Dime
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Wow, the poll results are a 50/50 split right now. Who's gonna break the tie?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 pm

I voted "no". He was great at what he did.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Scott just tipped the scales in favor of "no."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

And as for Damageplan, that wasn't supposed to be serious. That was musicians making music and thats it.

I wasn't under the impression this wasn't serious. I remember reading interviews at the time with both Dimebag and Vinnie Paul with them taliing about plan for a second album and pushing Damageplan forward.

Although I never really cared much for Pantera one thing I always respected them for was for playing and being sucessful at Metal during the hideous grunge era.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:15 pm

I like about half of Damageplan's album quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimebag Darrel over-rated?   Dimebag Darrel over-rated? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimebag Darrel over-rated?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next