Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where Did You Get THAT Name From?

Go down 
+27
Leatherface
SAHB Healer
Tall Tyrion
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Hamer12
MetalGuy71
kmorg
ghost
Smindas
Mglaffas81
EvyMetal
XYZ
Required Fields
Stender
jstate
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
thejokeriv
the sentinel
White_Mage
mc666
tohostudios
Shiney
TrogDawn
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Empty
PostSubject: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Some of you have usernames that are pretty obvious why you came up with them (i.e. Ultmetal, Kmorg, etc.) but others have very unusual ones. I'm curious (maybe it's none of my business), how did you guys come up with your usernames?

I got mine from an old dream of becoming a pro wrestler. When I joined the Navy, the plan was to beef up and get in great shape and give wresting a try. I came up with the character Mr. Black who was supposed to wear sunglasses and a black suit with his hair in a ponytail and act as a manager/wrestler with a group of my friends. I later changed his name to just Dallas Black, then (when I started sporting a cowboy hat) the Heavy Metal Cowboy Dallas Black. However, two of those friends I never saw after joining the navy, my best friend got dianosed with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), and I became fat, out of shape, and no longer had a desire to be big. So now I use DB here and if I ever decide to do my own website I will use it there as well.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:31 pm

I was a huge fan of the Detroit Lions Quarterback!!

🤘 Laughing Where Did You Get THAT Name From? 505193
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm

I think I mentioned this before, but I used to tag (i.e. graffiti) back when I was a punk teenager. I originally tagged HAZE. Haha. I never liked it, though, but I could write it in a cool way. Then I saw an article in the newspaper about the city's graffiti being an eyesore. That appealed to my sarcastic nature. I will create an eyesore by writing EYESORE, of course! Brilliant! Haha.

Then when I joined the Air Force it became my username on forums. When I briefly dabble in doing the white boy rap thing, I used the name Eyesore. Then I named my recent poetry book Eyesore. So it's just something that really has a lot of non-meaning. Haha.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:48 pm

@ Eyesore: that's a good history for a good username - kudos! cool

Was that your username when you were at Hellride too?
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:55 pm

Shiney:

A few years back I was "managing" several young area bands...mostly punkish/indie/metal...These kids all thought it was so cool an "old guy" dug and nutured them in their muse.....Anyway, I went to work on day put in 12 hours at the hot bakery and went to a gig sans shower or hair washing...had my hair pulled back and a big greasy shiny forehead for show and Geoff ,bassist for the one band shouts..."we can play now, Shiney's here"...and for the next 2 years every email i got from anyone was sent to "Shiney"

not very flattering but true...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Tohostudios.

Toho is the Japanese film company responsible for many of the man in suit, giant monster movies from Japan. I grew up watching Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, et. al. on all day creature features every Saturday.

I still prefer "suitmation" to most CGI and still love the old movies of Godzilla and company. I wanted to use Godzilla when I joined my first message board but it was taken. Most of the other monster names were too so I decided to use the name of the studio that produced all of them.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Shiney wrote:
Shiney:

A few years back I was "managing" several young area bands...mostly punkish/indie/metal...These kids all thought it was so cool an "old guy" dug and nutured them in their muse.....Anyway, I went to work on day put in 12 hours at the hot bakery and went to a gig sans shower or hair washing...had my hair pulled back and a big greasy shiny forehead for show and Geoff ,bassist for the one band shouts..."we can play now, Shiney's here"...and for the next 2 years every email i got from anyone was sent to "Shiney"

not very flattering but true...
That's awesome! lol!

Oh, my username is a shortened form of my band's name, TROGLODYTE DAWN. If you want the full story behind that name, you can read it here:

trogdawn.net FAQ wrote:
Q: "What does 'Troglodyte Dawn' mean?"

A: The short answer is "out of the darkness and into the light". For the long version, click this link and read the reply under the heading "Why this name?"

For scripture references relating to the name, check out Isaiah 9:2 and Matthew 4:16
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Tohostudios.

Toho is the Japanese film company responsible for many of the man in suit, giant monster movies from Japan. I grew up watching Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, et. al. on all day creature features every Saturday.

I still prefer "suitmation" to most CGI and still love the old movies of Godzilla and company. I wanted to use Godzilla when I joined my first message board but it was taken. Most of the other monster names were too so I decided to use the name of the studio that produced all of them.
I'm with you toho! cool
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:07 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Tohostudios.

I'm with you toho! cool

The notable exception to my no CGI rule is the Walking With Dinosaurs series. If all CGI looked as realistic as that, I'd be all for it.

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:24 pm

2 of my favorite comics combined. The Spectre
Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Spectre

and Dr. Fate
Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Drfate

My favorite comic book is Catwoman,
Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Catwoman-comic

but somehow I didn't feel as though that name really fit me. Shut up everybody!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:35 pm

m.c. = Monty Carl
666 = the number of women i've slept with

one of those is true any way.

White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:55 pm

i got the idea for my screen name when I bought a new iPod i was deep into the rpg games when I got it so i called my iPod the white mage and since I hadn't come up with anything when I decied to join HOM i used White Mage so my screen name came from my iPod (which isnt even white btw)

Maybe once my rank reaches "Metal is in my blood" I'll change it to White_Wizard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Nobody can figure mine out. This is the last board I will ever use it on.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:30 pm

spectrefate wrote:
2 of my favorite comics combined. The Spectre
Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Spectre

and Dr. Fate
Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Drfate

My favorite comic book is Catwoman,
Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Catwoman-comic

but somehow I didn't feel as though that name really fit me. Shut up everybody!

I always thought it was Fates Warning the Specter w/in; it wasn't until a few weeks ago when you started the comic book thread did I think of something other than an FW connection.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:42 pm

The Sentinel: an ever vigilant watchman;a soldier stationed as a guard to challenge all comers and prevent a surprise attack.

I got everyone's back!!!

It's also my favorite Priest song because that was the first Priest album I owned as a kid. I originally wanted to go with Iron Man because that was my favorite comic as a kid and of course I would have an avatar of him. But I decided to go with sentinel and used to have the avatar based on the cover of the DotF album that T-roy had made for me. I was going to use my real name, Chaim Witz, but I didn't want anyone to make fun of me. Peace.

Last edited by the sentinel on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Some of you have usernames that are pretty obvious why you came up with them (i.e. Ultmetal, Kmorg, etc.) but others have very unusual ones. I'm curious (maybe it's none of my business), how did you guys come up with your usernames?

I got mine from an old dream of becoming a pro wrestler. When I joined the Navy, the plan was to beef up and get in great shape and give wresting a try. I came up with the character Mr. Black who was supposed to wear sunglasses and a black suit with his hair in a ponytail and act as a manager/wrestler with a group of my friends. I later changed his name to just Dallas Black, then (when I started sporting a cowboy hat) the Heavy Metal Cowboy Dallas Black. However, two of those friends I never saw after joining the navy, my best friend got dianosed with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), and I became fat, out of shape, and no longer had a desire to be big. So now I use DB here and if I ever decide to do my own website I will use it there as well.

A tale well told, my metal brother. I honestly always thought that was your name. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:16 pm

the sentinel wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

A tale well told, my metal brother. I honestly always thought that was your name. Very Happy

Me too.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:20 pm

thejokeriv - years ago, someone said a looked like the joker when I did a crazy laugh once. Used it when I had odd jobs through college - delivered food for a company called take out taxi - delivered food for multiple resturaunts, where to go given by short wave radio, everyone used handles, mine was Joker. Added "the" before and "iv" after when I started posting in forums/using instant messages because joker is generally taken. IV because i'm the 4th (my son isn't the 5th)
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:21 pm

I mean tow way radio, not short wave, lol
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Coroner's first album (or demo I suppose). They've had a very big influence on me in alot of ways, and they're one of the only bands I consider to have a flawless catalog, besides, the name and the picture were badass.

And if you didnt know that, you're false.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:37 pm

The story behind mine is pretty dumb. Like Spectre, I'm a comic book geek (retired). My favorite comic of all time is Gilbert Shelton's "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers," a late 60s/early 70s "underground" book chronicling the adventures of three hippies that is best described as "Cheech & Chong" in comic book form. My favorite of the brothers is "Fat Freddy," who also has a cat in the strip who is known simply as "Fat Freddy's Cat." The Cat, by the way, is the smartest character in the entire comic. Smile

Long story short, When I first started using the Internet years back I used to use "FatFreddysCat" as a screen name anywhere I went (you can still occasionally see me use it on Blabbermouth on the rare occasion that I still post something there). But I eventually got tired of typing all of those letters, haha, so I eventually shortened it to simply "Fat Freddy."

And no, my real name's not even Fred. So I guess it's kind of a dumb screen name, but I'm used to it now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
@ Eyesore: that's a good history for a good username - kudos! cool

Was that your username when you were at Hellride too?
Yup. I pretty much use it everywhere. It's pretty funny, too, because occasionally someone somewhere online will go, "Hey, are you the same Eyesore from [insert some long-gone forum from a decade ago]?" And sometimes it was me.

And Shiney, that's hilarious! lol!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:50 pm

Great thread - always wondered about some of these myself.

Mine comes from the fact that our family business (liquor store/gas stations) had many unfortunate run-ins with county government agencies. So my dad would write these anonymous letters under an alias into the local paper critical of them. For some unknown reason he chose State as the last name. Which at first seemed too similar to our real last name. Over the years though it became our official family alias. My first fake ID I took the name. And it has just kind of stuck from there.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:19 pm

Stender is my last name.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:37 pm

When I registered on a message board a number of years ago, I saw the words "Required Fields" posted. At random, I just put in "Required Fields" for user name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where Did You Get THAT Name From?   Where Did You Get THAT Name From? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where Did You Get THAT Name From?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: