Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Empty
PostSubject: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 am

Okay, there haven't been all that many KISS threads since I joined this board about a month ago, so I'm going to go with it.

KISS' KISSology series is undoubtedly some of the best archival footage ever released by a band. I'm curious as to what everyone's favourite parts are.

Mine:

Vol.1 -the Budokan show is not only my favourite of the entire series, but is my favourite concert from any band (I don't consider KISS Alive! to be a concert since it's pieced together from several). As this was one of the dates being recorded for the originally-proposed Alive II, the performance is outstanding: the band is energetic, interactive, and very few notes and lyrics are missed (actually, Gene, as usual, is the only one making mistakes....he screws up pretty bad in "Ladies Room"...but that's part of the charm of live). The song selection is awesome; I love the choice of material from Rock'n'Roll Over, which is my fav KISS studio album (the show is from that tour). What I love most about this concert is Paul Stanley's in-between-song banters. This was the time when he was at his prime as a frontman. His intro to "Let Me Go, Rock'n'Roll" is so rock'n'roll: "I tell ya, this has been one hell of a day for rock'n'roll.......ROCK'N'ROLL!!! (*guitar noise). And, I know....I just know, everybody's just waitin' for a little bit more of that...ROCK'N'ROLL MUSIC!!!"..........ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING 🤘

Vol.2 - Though I was so stoked to see some of the Maracanna Stadium show (Creatures is another of my favs), the Sydney Fairgrounds show is definately the highlight. Though I'm a freak for the classic 74-77 (78) period of the band, I think this is a cool time in KISStory. They still had the retro feel of their classic concerts, but the addition of the new, poppier songs added an interesting dynamic to KISS. It's cool to hear "Is That You" and "Talk To Me" live, as these are truly great songs. Also, it's nice to see "Strutter" brought back into the fold.

Vol.3 - Man, there's so much awesome stuff on this one (and all of them, for that matter). But, I think I would have to go with (surprisingly) the unplugged show. Normally, I would've gone with the Dodger Stadium show or the Tiger Stadium show (as they're makeup shows with old-school set lists), but the unplugged show is just too cool. The set list is the highlight for me. There are so many rare golden nuggets thrown in here. My favs are "Comin Home", "Sure Know Something", and "See You Tonight" (YES, I KNOW....I actually love Gene's solo album). And, by the way, Paul's voice has never been better than at this show. Listen to him on "I Still Love You", and you know why he's a frontman.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Sydney Fair Grounds Show!!!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 pm

I only have the first volume (hoping to find the others used) but I love the Cadillac, Michigan segment. The city officials all painted up and them going through the city always cracks me up. But music-wise that Budokan Hall show is all kinds of great.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 am

I keep checking into this thread but I am a hard time picking out with parts are my favorites on the Kissology DVDs. I mean, I like it all. But I'll give it a go...

Vol. 1
I really enjoy the "Budokan Hall" material. That was just Kiss at the height of Kiss mania. Classic stuff. Plus Rock and Roll Over is one of my favorite Kiss albums.

Vol. 2
Gotta love the cheesy Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park movie. It's cool to have it officially released on DVD, even if it is a different version from the classic made for TV movie some of us grew up with.

The Tom Snyder interview is CLASSIC! Ace was such a character when he was flyin' high. I wish they would have included the entire Tom Snyder interview though, instead of just the first half. I mean, "Space Bear" is freakin' CLASSIC! and it's missing from the DVD.

I also wish there would have been some better quality "Creatures of the Night" material though. As well, I would have liked some footage from "Lick It Up", "Animalize" and "Asylum". I was actually at the Philly show on the "Crazy Nights" tour. I always felt that tour was more lackluster than the previous three tours.

Vol. 3
I'm gonna go with the Revenge show. I missed that tour and it was cool to see it officially released on DVD. The band were great during that time. However, this DVD definitely has some of the best material of the three volumes. All the sound and video is outstanding.

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:19 am

ultmetal wrote:

Vol. 3
I'm gonna go with the Revenge show. I missed that tour and it was cool to see it officially released on DVD. The band were great during that time. However, this DVD definitely has some of the best material of the three volumes. All the sound and video is outstanding.

It's interesting how Paul Stanley began using vulgarity. It sounds so out of place coming from him. Also, the women coming out during "Take It Off" is unlike old KISS. I mean, I'm not complaining, lol! But, it's interesting to see how they were trying to distance themselves from that earlier kid-friendly and 80s glam image, hence the name of the album Revenge. I thought it sounded really odd hearing Paul Stanley swear during the Tiger Stadium show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Vol.1 - The Summit or Budokan
Vol.2 - Show in australia, or Fridays
Vol.3 - KISS Unplugged or Alive III concert
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 pm

I was watching disc 2 of vol.2 last night. As it's been a while since I've listened to Elder, I forgot how awesome it is. It was such a cool time in the band's history. I don't care what most people say: I like the late-early years. "The Oath" is such a cool song. It's strange to hear double-bass in a makeup-era KISS song (I think it's only one of two...the other being "Torpedo Girl"). Even though it was Gene's idea to record the album, Paul seems REALLY into the performance. You gotta love that guy; he always gives 110% no matter how ridiculous he looks. Even now, when he licks his finger and rubs his middle-aged flabby nipple, he does it with such conviction. Now that's a man with no inhibitions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 5:44 pm

what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Elder_lg

VIVA THE ELDER! (And oversized images that everyone hate)

Smurf I'd like to open that door...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?   what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what's your favourite segments of the KISSology series?
Page 1 of 1