Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mastadon: What's the big deal?

Go down 
+32
Selvmord
sam
SideShowDisaSter
manny
TheGooch
skullsmasher
Lurideath
EvyMetal
Stender
powermacho
Chairman_Smith
chucksteak
Gilbert
MetalRob331
ultmetal
mc666
White_Mage
Hamer12
nevermore
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
7thSecond
Wargod
Trial by Fire
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
exact33
scottmitchell74
Temple of Blood
Muloc7253
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

Mastadon: What's the big deal? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Vocals lacked much melody and the songs don't have a whole lot of hook.

I had the same observation. I bought "Blood Mountain" when it was released in response to the rave reviews, but could not get into it. It's an okay listen from beginning to end and has some pretty cool passages, but when the cd is over, I can't remember what I just heard. It doesn't stick. Then again, maybe I'm just old.
Back to top Go down

Mastadon: What's the big deal? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 9:08 pm

There is a lot more melody on the new album and some of the songs have definite hooks. But it flows more like a composed piece, sort of a metallic classical album. It basically needs to be listened to all the way through in one sitting to appreciate it.

I really like the all-instrumental version of the album, the production is so dense and layered it allows you to focus on all the little subtleties the vocal parts sometimes cover up.

Even though the album isn't as "heavy" as their others, it's probably even more challenging of a listen...there is so much going on that I think it will appeal more to progressive rock fans than metalheads.

The album title is a dedication to the drummer's sister Skye, who committed suicide when she was 14.
Back to top Go down

Mastadon: What's the big deal?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4