Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mastadon: What's the big deal?

Go down 
+32
Selvmord
sam
SideShowDisaSter
manny
TheGooch
skullsmasher
Lurideath
EvyMetal
Stender
powermacho
Chairman_Smith
chucksteak
Gilbert
MetalRob331
ultmetal
mc666
White_Mage
Hamer12
nevermore
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
7thSecond
Wargod
Trial by Fire
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
exact33
scottmitchell74
Temple of Blood
Muloc7253
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

Mastadon: What's the big deal? Empty
PostSubject: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 pm

If one were to follow the opinions of music critics, you'd think that this quartet from Georgia were somehow the new Metallica. Their album Blood Mountain is hailed as the next new definiton for metal in the 21st century.

So I listened to it.....and I don't get it.

Honestly, what's the big deal? I mean, by all accounts this should be the greatest thing since sliced bread.....and yet, it just seems bland. They're competent musicians, I guess, and the concept is certaintly intresting.....

.....But the music is just so bland. And the vocals annoy me like crazy (and I love my growling death metal). The vocals are just a bunch of hardcore-style shouting. And lastly, all the songs sound the same.

I don't know.....am I missing something?
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Because they have good riffs, good vocals, good solos, good musicianship, good lyrics, good energy, good artwork and good compositions. That's my personal reason anyway.

And you say hardcore-style shouting as if it's a bad thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

It's called a trend. They're not a bad band, but they're not amazing or original.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:16 pm

It's called "hype".

This band, like pretty much other "next big thing", is full of hot air.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:19 pm

I have Leviathan and it has its moments but Blood Mountain quickly bored me. I'm with TOB on this one - hot air!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 pm

i thought they had some good songs. I think they were all the rage mostly because they were in a smaller niche market.

Alex

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Yeah, they are ok, but just another good band. Nothing wrong with that. I guess I spun Leviathan a few times and enjoyed it, but it sits on the shelf now. There might be some moods where I would really enjoy it I guess.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Because someone has to be. Someone has to be the next...Michael Jordan; the next...Joe Satriani; the next...Robert DeNiro. And so on. It happens all the time everyday everywhere. Temple said it best..."hype".
Back to top Go down
Trial by Fire
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:06 pm

I love Mastodon, they are an incredibly talented and original band, but I tend to hear more negative responses to them than praise. I find there are more people out there complaining about the hype than there are people hyping them. It seems to be one of those bands that the older generation of metallers just doesn't seem to have much appreciation for, while the younger crowds tend to enjoy it more (just an observation of mine, be it true or not, and yes I realize the op is 22). Because of this it gets blown off and words like "hype" start to get tossed around. I don't see Mastodon "as a trend" or something that's just going to go away once people get bored. They are a legitimately talented band deserving of the credit that they receive. If they were a trend you'd be seeing an influx of watered down clones popping up everywhere and being greeted with success. I agree that they aren't the next big thing in metal, as some people claim. However, I feel that the dislike for them comes from the fact that misinformed magazines and 13 year olds claim that they are the next big thing, which makes people not want to like them from the get go. Those who ignore the "hype" and just let the music speak for itself, will not hear the next big thing in music, but will still hear some top notch Heavy effin' Metal.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Not really a fan of them!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:
all the songs sound the same.

I don't know.....am I missing something?
Hmmm... That's strange, on my copy of Blood Mountain the songs don't all sound the same. I really like The Wolf is Loose.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Heard'em, don't get'em either, wonder what all the whoop de do is about. I guess I'm too old.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Quote :
I guess I'm too old

That is, of course, not up for debate!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
I guess I'm too old

That is, of course, not up for debate!! Razz

Mehhhh.... show some respect to your elders, young'in!! angry

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 10:04 am

Wargod48 wrote:
Not really a fan of them!

Wargod48

+1
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 am

I sampled a CD (Leviathan) at a used CD store and wasn't impressed enough to buy it. Maybe it is a grower but I have too many other stuff I wan't to get to be bothered (maybe if I find it real cheap).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Muloc7253 wrote:
Because they have good riffs, good vocals, good solos, good musicianship, good lyrics, good energy, good artwork and good compositions. That's my personal reason anyway.

And you say hardcore-style shouting as if it's a bad thing.

Well said, Muloc.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 4:53 pm

I have 3 Mastodon platters, like them all, Leviathan is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 am

I didn't like them at all when I first heard them but I do think they are a grower
I dig em but don't agree with all the hype really interesting band nonetheless
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 am

i'm not a fan, but i can see the appeal. they are not a bad band at all.

Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 am

mc666 wrote:
i'm not a fan, but i can see the appeal. they are not a bad band at all.

That's sort of what I'm trying to say. They're obviously competent musicians. They can obviously play very well.

Hmm.....I don't know, maybe I started with the wrong album. Maybe I should try out Leviathan.....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I received a letter from a reader of my site pumping these guys today. He basically said he respected my opinion on metal then went on to add that any real metal fan would see how amazing these guys are. Sooooo, I went to YouTube and played three or four songs I could find. Not bad. Vocals are sort of hardcore-ish. I hear a lot of Maiden inspired riffs that would probably be better if they were not downtuned to D. Not sure why every modern band feels that downtuning to "D" is the way to go. Personally I feel that "E" or "Eflat" can give the guitars a better buzzsaw tone. Drummer was cool. Sort of manic stuff. Vocals lacked much melody and the songs don't have a whole lot of hook.

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 7:40 pm

One of the few newer bands I actually do like. They keep amping up the prog influence (not prog metal, but traditional prog) which makes me hopeful for the future.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 10:25 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I received a letter from a reader of my site pumping these guys today. He basically said he respected my opinion on metal then went on to add that any real metal fan would see how amazing these guys are. Sooooo, I went to YouTube and played three or four songs I could find. Not bad. Vocals are sort of hardcore-ish. I hear a lot of Maiden inspired riffs that would probably be better if they were not downtuned to D. Not sure why every modern band feels that downtuning to "D" is the way to go. Personally I feel that "E" or "Eflat" can give the guitars a better buzzsaw tone. Drummer was cool. Sort of manic stuff. Vocals lacked much melody and the songs don't have a whole lot of hook.

Lacking the hook is why Im not a big fan. I need hooks, something to be memorable. The music is ok and I don't mind the vocals. There drummer is very good but sometimes over does it, kind of reminds me of a modern day Keith Moon. As far as downtuning goes, I think bands downtune to get a different sound. There are so many bands that play in standard that everything starts sounding the same. It is also helpful in the songwriting department and sometimes suits the singers voice better.

Mastodon has the potential but haven't found there full potential yet. As far as hype goes, I think the younger generation seems to latch on to what is the cool band at the moment instead of searching out for different music. When you are younger you seem to feel the need to make a connection with people and if that means agreeing that a band is good, they will do that. I have seen this all over the internet and witness it in reality as well. Same thing with band bashing, it seems that if 7/10 people bash a band thats the cool thing to do and there are more followers then leaders. If I dislike a band I either stay out of the conversation or say it in a respectful way. If I like a band that people bash I still say I like them regardless of what others have to say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 10:32 pm

Actually, their drummer was one of the first things that really impressed me about them. Instead of being a "human metronome", he knows how to play around with time, throw in fills at unexpected moments...and basically play "outside" the usual confines of a metal drummer (he reminds me a little bit of Bill Bruford).

The other element I like is that they've listened to as much outside prog (like Lark's era King Crimson) along with the usual inspiration of Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.

Now, if they can continue to grow in the songwriting department, they could be fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mastadon: What's the big deal?   Mastadon: What's the big deal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mastadon: What's the big deal?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next