Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time

Go down 
+8
Temple of Blood
kmorg
krokus
Muloc7253
GrandNational
EvyMetal
mc666
rattpoison
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
necrodrone86
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: heh   Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 9:26 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Muloc7253 wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:
They're just trying to appeal to the population as a whole.
Agreed. Most on the list are not "heavy" in the metal sense, but just dark, some are loud, and some are heavy. I hate inclusive lists that try to appeal to everyones tastes.

It's not an inclusive list trying to appeal to everyone's taste. It's a genuine attempt at documenting the heaviest albums through time.
Of course it is. It's a 'something for everybody' list. I like pretty much every artist on their, and I guess they may have pushed their boundaries in their day on the mainstream level, but these no way document the heaviest albums.

Maybe they just worded it wrongly. If it wasn't 'heaviest albums' and was more 'Examples of heavy music for people that have never listened to anything heavy before' it would make more sense.

But still...Manic Street Preachers? Marilyn Manson? Nirvana? Guns N Roses? That last one is the worst - there are literally hundreds of similiar sounding albums that came way before that and were much heavier. Are you really suggesting that Candlemass or Megadeth were not as heavy or heavier than Guns N Roses?

And what's with the rap albums? I like Mobb Deep and Scarface, but how is it in any way heavy? Hard-hitting, aggressive, extreme, maybe even quite brutal in the case of some hiphop artists, but how is it heavy in any way, shape or form?

Maybe to people that only listen to mainstream music this list might be convincing, but to anybody that listens to any underground metal they should know better. No Cannibal Corpse? Exhumed? Why put 'Vulgar Display of Power' when the follow up albums were heavier? Wouldn't happen to be coz it's a more popular album would it? Listing Slipknot, but no death metal whatsoever? Aphex Twins? Pixies?

These albums are examples of heaviness, but no way come close to documenting the heaviest of all time by anybodys stadards, bar maybe the inclusions of Slayer, Napalm Death and Mayhem.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Good to see some people actually understand.
Fun fact: neither them have ever listened to a single hip hop album in their entire redneck lives.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time   Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 am

It's a rubbish list (Appetite for Destruction, heavy? Please!) but it should be remembered that heavy as a term to describe deep, dark music pre-dates metal. I also think that some metal is not the slightest bit heavy.

I agree with some on this list but think that most of the metal entries are lame examples and I think that there are far better examples of heavy from metal (Electric Wizard's Dopethrone? Hellhammer/Frost/Tripykon? Any "Heavy" list that doesn't include Monotheist deserves all of the scorn that it will undoubtedly get) but there are different definitions of heavy and non metal examples would include post punk stuff like PIL, The Birthday Party, Joy Division and The Chameleons, Electronic stuff Aphex Twin, Goldie, Tricky, Death in Vegas etc... and stuff like David Bowie 'Low', The Manics 'The Holy Bible, Babes in Toyland 'Fontanelle' and a ton of others.

Heavy

Heavy

Heavy

Heaviest!!
Back to top Go down

Q Magazine's 50 Heaviest Albums Of All Time
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2