Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Probot - S/T (2004)

Go down 
+16
zombiewalkin
Addy
akeldama
SAHB Healer
White_Mage
Stender
nevermore
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Selvmord
EvyMetal
mc666
Lurideath
Rex
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Probot - S/T (2004) Empty
PostSubject: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Probot - S/T (2004) SNN30M

Who else here has got some love for Dave Grohl's fabulous old school metal side project?? I was just listening to this one today for the first time in a while, and it still kicks my a** across the room every time I play it. This album has got to be one of my favorite CDs of the '00s thus far. How can you go wrong with an album that features vocals by a veritable "who's who" of '80s thrash metal/crossover heroes(including Cronos, Lemmy, Kurt Brecht, Mike Dean, and Snake, just to name a few)?

I'll admit I had my doubts when I first heard rumblings of this project a few years before its release, cuz up until that point I only knew Dave Grohl as the drummer for Nirvana and leader of the Foo Fighters, I never thought of him as a particularly "metal" guy, but obviously his love for the '80s underground stuff runs deep and true judging from the material on this album.

My favorite tracks would most likely be Cronos' "Centuries of Sin" (which re-ignited my interest in Venom, after losing touch with them for many years), Wino's "The Emerald Law" and Eric Wagner's "My Tortured Soul," but truthfully they're all sweet. The only song I find to be below par is Tom G Warrior's "Big Sky," mainly because I was hoping to hear some of Tom's old-school "UHHHH!" or "HEY-Y-Y!" grunts, but he put his vocals thru a processor and sounds like a Rob Zombie imitator. Disappointing.

Love it? Hate it? Fave songs? Discuss.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:15 pm

For those who may have missed this little gem back in '04:

Grohl, Lemmy, Wino, and lotsa hot chicks... does it get any more METAL than this??? 🤘

(Grohl has said about this video shoot, "It was the best band I was ever in for one day. And we werent' even plugged in!" Haha)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:24 pm

I thought it was a decent album. I like some songs better than others. Since Grohl was catering the song to the guests, I think the album is a bit uneven, sounding more like a compilation album than a band album. Still, some enjoyable songs included.

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:28 pm

I really like Dave Grohl, which says alot because I didn't like him at all in Nirvana.

This album is good, but the Foo Fighters stuff is much better.

My favorite is the Cronos song. That guy has some serious gravel in his throat or something.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 pm

I love this album. Like you Freddy, I had my doubts. I hated Nirvana and it took a long time before I warmed up to the Foo Fighters. So the idea of their drummer putting together a metal album seemed like a joke.

I'll say this, Grohl could have put out a lame covers album, re-doing hard rock/metal covers of songs that have been covered a million times over in a effort not to offend any teeny-boppers or radio fans. Instead he actually went and wrote a bunch of tunes and got some fairly underground metal guys to put up vocals, almost guaranteeing that none of these songs would get any commercial airplay. Also, the songs he wrote sound like the bands he was paying homage to. For the most part, every song on the cd sounds like it could have been at least a b-side release from each band member represented. That Lemmy song "Shake Your Blood" for example, could have easily appeared on a Motorhead album.

I'd encourage any metal fans to give this a listen. It certainly ain't no Foo Fighters record, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:35 pm

Didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Don't even care
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 pm

i like it ok, but i think some of the songs could have been stronger.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Since Grohl was catering the song to the guests, I think the album is a bit uneven, sounding more like a compilation album than a band album.

With all the different sounding styles/songs, PROBOT does kinda have the feel of an old "Metal Massacre" compilation. Who knows, maybe that's the feel that Grohl was going for.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 3:54 pm

I'm a huge Grohl fan. I think when it comes to talent, he's head and shoulders above most out there. I'll be honest, I didn't know what to expect with Probot. I knew he was an old school metalhead, but I basically had Nirvana and Foo Fighters to go on (big Foo Fighters fan here!). That still didn't convince me, though.

But the album is great! I agree with Ult that it's a bit uneven; but I guess that's expected. Either way, I would love to see Dave do a full-blown metal album, consistent in one style. I think he could do a killer album.

My favorites from the Probot album are "Red War," "Shake Your Blood," and "My Tortured Soul." The hidden track with Jack Black is kind of cool, too. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 pm

killer artwork by Away from voivod too.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:00 pm

ParanoidTime wrote:
killer artwork by Away from voivod too.

The artwork blows compared to the early Voivod artwork.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I have a red, 7" vinyl from the album. I think it has the Cronos and Wino songs on it... I wonder if it's worth anything?
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm

I loved it when it came out, and I still listen to it from time to time. My personal favorite tune is "Ice Cold Man".

I'll be honest when I say that I, to, had my doubts considering that the brains behind it was the drummer for one of the most horrid 'musical' abominations to walk the face of the Earth, which I blame for ruining popular music for well over a DECADE......but his Foo Fighters stuff IS really good, so I was willing to give it a shot. Glad I did. Smile
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 8:34 pm

I still enjoy this record a good bit. It kind of loses a little steam towards the end but it's still good.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 10:09 pm

I remember it was towards the end of my 8th grade year when this one came out and me and my friends liked it quite a bit, I never owned it but I did like Lemmy's "Shake your blood" when my croneys would play it.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 1:00 am

It sounds awesome from what I've heard I'll have to put this one on my want list
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 2:37 am

I really appreciated Dave Grohl paying tribute to some of the greats, but to be honest I didn't think the songs on this one were all that strong. Ironically I guess I liked the Jack Black track the most. The only song from the CD that has really stuck with me was Wino's "Emerald Law". I actually prefer Iommi's solo album from a few years before to Probot. It's a similar (but reversed) concept I guess. An old guy using mostly young singers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 3:00 am

Speaking of cool Motorhead collabs, remember this gem from the Airheads soundtrack?

Awesome! Ice T stinks, but Whitfield Crane remains one of my all-time vocalists. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
I think the artwork sucks. Haha.

really? exactly what's so bad about it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:42 pm

Got a sudden craving to hear this one today, so I had to go digging through boxes but finally found it...

As others have mentioned, the album is a little uneven (primarily in song-writing). However, when it's firing on all cylinders....LOOK OUT...this puppy rocks! The Cronos song is one of the best metal tunes I've heard in recent years; in addition the songs with Lemmy, Wino, Eric Wagener and Snake are my favorites.

This album has grown on me over the years, I think I enjoy it more now than I did when it was first released.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 4:05 pm

It's a decent album. Centuries Of Sin and Red War are my faves.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 4:17 pm

I still like this album. I'd like to see him do another just like this or perhaps, like someone else mentioned, just a straight-up metal album with one vocalist, insead a hodge-podge of singers. Dave on drums, Lemmy on bass, Wino on guitar and the Trouble guy (his names escapes me) on vocals.

Yea, that'll happen. Rolling Eyes

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Im a big fan of Dave Grohl I bought this when it came out but I need to spin it as i havent in ages
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 9:11 am

I liked this album.........good fun time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Probot - S/T (2004)   Probot - S/T (2004) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Probot - S/T (2004)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next