Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?

Go down 
+25
Lurideath
TrogDawn
Shiney
nevermore
Vordul
kmorg
arttieTHE1manparty
GrandNational
rattpoison
Required Fields
Thrasher73
mc666
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Troublezone
sovdat
Stender
tohostudios
Hamer12
Tall Tyrion
Temple of Blood
EvyMetal
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 pm

OK, this may be my most retarded thread ever, but bear with me. It was inspired while listening to my new Lanfear CD (ANOTHER GOLDEN RAGE), which is a pretty solid album except for one song, "Eternally," a god-awfully sappy attempt at AOR balladry that features a SAXOPHONE SOLO (!) in its midsection that sounds like something you'd hear on a Kenny G album, or on an elevator, or in a doctor's waiting room. It just sounded so out of place amongst the "traditional" metal instrumentation, if that makes any sense.

Thinking about it further, I can only think of a few other instances where the saxophone (or other brass instruments) have met Metal, and none of them have been very good. Raven used a horn section to good effect on their instrumental track "The Bottom Line" (off of the STAY HARD album, 1985) but when they tried the same thing on a few other songs on the follow up album THE PACK IS BACK ("Hyperactive" and "Don't Let It Die") it just sounded silly.

I also remember watching Queensryche during the PROMISED LAND tour back in 95, Geoff Tate whipped out a saxophone during one song (forget what it was) and blew out a solo that went over about as well as a turd in a punch bowl. You never saw so many people in an audience scratch their heads simultaneously and go "WTF?" (haha.)

So I ask ya: are saxophones (and other brass instruments) metal? As for me, I say thee NAY. Not metal.

Discuss.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:17 pm

I can't think of any METAL that has any sax in it off the top of my head, but I'd take sax-a-ma-foam over a flute anyday (Jethro Tull, I'm looking at you).

The only 2 that immediately come to mind aren't really metal. Hanoi Rocks' Michael Monroe used a saxaphone quite nicely in a few of their tunes and the other is Pink Floyd's "Us and Them".

If I hear any other "metal sax", I'll get back to ya on this one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
"metal sax",

Which is not to be confused with UNCLE Sax, by the way. Cuz Uncle Sax is about as METAL as they come. headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:33 pm

As I was reading this post, I could think of a lot of fusion bands and progressive rock bands that use wind instruments (correct term Cool ) in their songs.
So my answer is NAY, they don't belong in metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:43 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
wind instruments (correct term Cool )

I'm aiming my wind instrument in your direction, cool guy. butt dance
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I guess if flower metal is considered metal than anything goes.

Why not get rid of distortion or guitars altogether? Metal's definition is purely opinion, according to some people.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 3:19 pm

For metal? No way. Evil or Very Mad

Pink Floyd uses them to good effect. I'm not opposed to them, but not for metal IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I guess if flower metal is considered metal than anything goes.

I'll take that as a "Nay." Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 3:45 pm

I don't like the saxaphone at all but with the advent of folk metal and the myriad amount of instruments used what do I know. The metal lute?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Absolutely not.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 4:09 pm

I like the sound of a sax (alto sax at least) but not in metal.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 5:21 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
Absolutely not.

Absolutely Yes! come on, anything is possible in metal. I dont think some of you guys realize how aggressive and straight-up brackish a saxophone or "wind Instrument" Cool can be made to sound. If somebody can make metal christamas traditionals then I'm sure somebody can create a metalled out saxophone. Just because its sucked in the past dosnt mean it cant be done correctly in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Sax sounds really good in hard rock. Listen to G'n'R's "Move to the City".

As far as metal, I think the only way it would work is in joke songs. Or, maybe it could work in pop metal. Otherwise, the intensity would be awkwardly inconsistent.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Sax work fine with Gargoyle (JAP) back in 1989 ... but generally, no.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Doesn't Geof Tate play the sax on occasion? On the other hand he disowned metal.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I personally believe that ANY insturnment can work in metal, as long as it's used right and as long as the main components (shreiking guitars and thundering percussion) are intact.

But then again, I can think of some music even before the advent of electric guitars that I would consider proto-metal, with classical masterpeieces like Beethoven's 5th Symphony, or a good chunk of Richard Wagner's compositions ("Flight of the Valkyries" comes to mind).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 9:05 pm

troublezone wrote:
Doesn't Geof Tate play the sax on occasion? On the other hand he disowned metal.

Yea, he does. As a matter of fact, when Tate was touring to support his debut solo album a few years back, someone stole his saxophone from his gig at the Birch Hill here in New Jersey. He was offering a reward for its return and everything. I don't know if he ever got it back, Haha! I guess whoever did that (and no, it was NOT me) doesn't like saxophone in metal either!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 9:24 pm

There is sax in the song "Promised Land." And I think that's a great song. It fits the song really well. I think that's the only QR song with sax on all their studio albums. Geoff does play it on this recent covers album.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 pm

I bet someone will make it work. Just about everything else had made it into Metal and the "good ones" always make it work.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 9:43 pm

No, not metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm

metal mis pretty versatile. it can accommodate just about anything you want to add if you do it right.

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Maybe. Look at the cowbell.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Saxophone-not very metal.Now bagpipes are a different story
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Does anyone remember an early 90s industrial metal band called Monster Voodoo Machine? They have a song called "Bastard is as Bastard Does", and there is some saxophone work right before the guitar solo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:08 am

I remember a Dream Theater song having a alto sax in it.

Meh if it's right.

Sax is saddly underutilized in rock n' roll, which is a shame. Hanoi Rocks, David Bowie, Little Richard, The Stooges all rocked and rolled hard with the sax.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?   Do Saxophones Belong In Metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do Saxophones Belong In Metal?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next