Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles

Go down 
+22
Todd Jaymz
thejokeriv
mez
7thSecond
scottmitchell74
jstate
Metal Misfit
powermacho
MetalRob331
the sentinel
nevermore
Muloc7253
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
mc666
exact33
arttieTHE1manparty
HellRaiser
XYZ
UltraMagnus007
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:04 pm

The self-titled is an awesome album, in my opinion. It gets no love, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:06 pm

The new Leppard stuff sounds much better to my ears. And I don't think we're talking apples and oranges here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:

quite true! i bought it when it was new, when i was 12 or so, and to a new/young metalhead like me i thought it was the heaviest thing ever. i still think the songwriting is as strong as or stronger than the rest of the crue catalogue.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 1:33 pm

My rampant fan-boys days of the Crue are long over, but I'll probably pick up the new one somewhere down the line.

I like the John Corabi-fronted Crue cd as well. Different but nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:

yeah, that's a great album. John Corabi sounds amazing on it, and it really shows what good musicians Nikki, Mick and Tommy actually were. For me the first two are still their best, but dammit that one comes close.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Cover & Track listing:
Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 MC_SOLA_Art

1. Mother F*cker Of the Year
2. Down At The Whiskey
3. Saints of Los Angeles
4. Face Down In The Dirt
5. What's It Gonna Take
6. Chicks = Trouble
7. White Trash Circus
8. The Animal In Me
9. Welcome To The Machine
10. This Ain't A Love Song
11. Just Another Psycho

Gotta say, I'm not all that impressed by the cover. Looks a little plain for a Crue album.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 2:11 pm

It doesn't sound that bad. Lets see what they have for us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 am

Stream the new album HERE.

I gotta admit, while the first single sort of signaled a return to the 80s style, and the album isn't quite that, it is a pretty solid-sounding album. I really dig it.

Probably the best they've done since Dr. Feelgood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 pm

No thoughts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I think Nikki is trying too hard to be relevant in the modern rock industry. I agree with you 100% that this is their best since Feelgood. It's definitely a cool album. It would be better with a more overall old-school gritty sound like in the title track.

On a side note, does anyone think that Tommy actually enjoys making rock anymore? Or, is he just in it for the money/fame/fans/legacy/etc?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 pm

I just realized something that goes against what I just wrote: Motley have always been known for reinventing themselves to fit the times. That's part of the charm of their band. You can't really label them as this or that because they could change at any point. And so, it's not like any modern sounds on this album should be a surprise, especially since they already released that pile of crap in 1997.

On a side note, I think the cover is pretty cool.

Anyway, I'll be picking up the album on Tuesday. Man, there are so many good albums coming out over the next few months. I can't wait for Motorhead, Metallica, and Iced Earth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 pm

I think Tommy still digs rock music. But it's clear that he doesn't know how to handle the annoyances that come with branching out far beyond what you're known for. You ever tell someone—out of anger, frustration, what-have-you—that you hated them, when you really loved them? I think it's the same with him. He loves rock music, but he also loves other things, like techno and drum-n-bass. But he can't articulate himself well enough to convey that to annoying interviewers or whatever. So in the heat of the moment, he basically says screw you and rock music!

Michael Kiske has the same problem. He lashes out. Generally he's justified in doing so, but it paints an ill-perceived picture. Especially when he says he hates metal, but then does guest vocals on a dozen metal albums a year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think Tommy still digs rock music. But it's clear that he doesn't know how to handle the annoyances that come with branching out far beyond what you're known for. You ever tell someone—out of anger, frustration, what-have-you—that you hated them, when you really loved them? I think it's the same with him. He loves rock music, but he also loves other things, like techno and drum-n-bass. But he can't articulate himself well enough to convey that to annoying interviewers or whatever. So in the heat of the moment, he basically says screw you and rock music!

Michael Kiske has the same problem. He lashes out. Generally he's justified in doing so, but it paints an ill-perceived picture. Especially when he says he hates metal, but then does guest vocals on a dozen metal albums a year.

Maybe all hip-hop and electronica fans are rockers and metalheads in disguise!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:09 pm

I have not bought any crue since dr feelgood. For me the band kinda died after that album. I am willing to give the new a listen. It is funny seeing the band in that video though - vince neil looks kinda like a refugee from the grunge era. I like the title track but i will have to see how the rest of the cd sits...

Alex

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:41 pm

exact33 wrote:
I have not bought any crue since dr feelgood. For me the band kinda died after that album. I am willing to give the new a listen. It is funny seeing the band in that video though - vince neil looks kinda like a refugee from the grunge era. I like the title track but i will have to see how the rest of the cd sits...

Alex

Did you not like the new material on Decade Of Decadence?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:58 pm

exact33 wrote:

Alex
You should definitely check out the self-titled. It's a great album. Different, but definitely one of their best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex
You should definitely check out the self-titled. It's a great album. Different, but definitely one of their best.

I agree with Eyesore. The s/t has a kind of grungy, Alice In Chains-like melancholy (overall) sound, but is heavy and well-crafted. The compositions are more complex than previous albums, and the guitars augment the arrangments nicely. Songs to check out: (my favourite) "Til' Death Do Us Part" (sick, sick solo); "Hammered"; "Misunderstood"; "Welcome To The Numb"; and "Poison Apples" (definitely the closest to old Crue). It's a shame that we lost an album that was in the works from this lineup in exchange for Swine.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:53 am

Can't wait to get this, I'll have to pick it up Wednesday on payday.

Some good reviews are coming in, Rolling Stone & All Music gave it three-stars. So maybe it'll be better than the samples led me to believe. I haven't bothered with those full streams just because I wanted it all to be new to me when I get the CD.

I expected a place like RS to totally trash it like they did the new Def Lep. They usually aren't kind to "80s bands".
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:50 pm

I havent bought a crue cd since dr feelgood but i may have to get this one. I am torn though between new and used... I figure there will be a lot of people buying this expecting dr feelgood and ditch it pretty quickly....

Alex

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 8:10 pm

I thought about going the used route with it too. As just about all Crue I've bought since Dr. Feelgood has been purchased that way. But if people are loving it, I might breakdown and buy it new. I am liking the samples that I've heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Motley Crue, for whatever reason, somehow get far more credit than they deserve in the mainstream media. Somehow they're still "cool" and more "relevant" than other rock bands from that period. And I say that loosely. Maybe it's because they put on concerts that are more akin to Girls Gone Wild videos, I don't know.

Just don't go by the reviews until you've heard the album first. Motley Crue has released some of the worst music out of that era—and still do, when compared to other bands still kicking around—yet they get more positive response from the masses. Makes no sense.

Not hating on the band here, just suggesting a try-before-you-buy mentality.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Motley Crue, for whatever reason, somehow get far more credit than they deserve in the mainstream media. Somehow they're still "cool" and more "relevant" than other rock bands from that period. And I say that loosely. Maybe it's because they put on concerts that are more akin to Girls Gone Wild videos, I don't know.

Just don't go by the reviews until you've heard the album first. Motley Crue has released some of the worst music out of that era—and still do, when compared to other bands still kicking around—yet they get more positive response from the masses. Makes no sense.

Not hating on the band here, just suggesting a try-before-you-buy mentality.

its because all the people who sing their praises have dont just about as much drugs as the band has Smile

Alex

arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 11:41 pm

I really like the new disc, personally. I think it is a nice combination of old attitude, with some of the Feelgood writing, while still keeping it fresh and modern enough to be relevant. I really don't know what people DON'T like when they hear this.

On the flipside, I think the Crue can't win, no matter what. People complained about the two new songs on their greatest hits package as being "too modern", yet when they do something that even sounds "throwback" they get slammed again.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 11:43 pm

He's the wolf screaming lonely in the night!

One of my favorite lines n metal history. Go figure! don\'t know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles   Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next