Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favourite Band!

Go down 
+45
black halo
exact33
Pontus
akeldama
Schbopo
steel warrior
sam
manny
Troublezone
skullsmasher
James B.
rattpoison
mr.electric39
stepcousin
HellRaiser
MoonChild
Leatherface
scottmitchell74
krokus
TheGooch
Hamer12
ghost
MetalRob331
EvyMetal
SideShowDisaSter
the sentinel
Selvmord
Wargod
Lurideath
SAHB Healer
nevermore
ThrashedOutCobra33
XYZ
Stender
Trial by Fire
mc666
DallasBlack
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
candlemass
Mglaffas81
ultmetal
Invader
Smindas
UltraMagnus007
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 am

Metallica
Opeth
Iron Maiden
Pantera
Black Sabbath
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Whatevere happened to Nightwish?
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 pm

KISS
RUNNING WILD
THOR
WRATHCHILD UK
KROKUS
SAXON
SCORPIONS
HAMMERFALL
MERCYFUL FATE/KING DIAMOND
TRIUMPH
IRON MAIDEN
MSG
UFO
URIAH HEEP
WASP
RATT
and many many more but this would be the more famous ones i love very much.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:01 pm

EvyMetal wrote:

What do you mean, they're still around and even did a world tour recently. Also while there are some here who despise them there are some of us who are fans.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:02 pm

I used to rank Nightwish as my second favorite band behind Therion but I hate Dark Passion Play with such a passion that I dropped them.

And it's not just because NW is now "Tarja-less" either.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Can't do it!!
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I used to rank Nightwish as my second favorite band behind Therion but I hate Dark Passion Play with such a passion that I dropped them.

I respect your opinion to not like it but why??? I thought this album was amazing and dare I say it but it has had so many more plays than any other nightwish album that I think it is my favourite.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:17 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Dark Passion Play seems to effect NW fans in different ways. Some can't stand it while others think it's the best release of theirs so far. To each his own I guess.
don\'t know
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I think Dark Passion Play is a bloated, self indulgent piece of crap.

For starters, opening the album with a pretentious 14 minute song that's really only about 5 minutes of melody and 9 minutes of FX and noodling around.

Then there's Marco Hietala's "singing". On previous Nightwish albums, I liked Marco's vocal contributions. Heck, I like his vox in Tarot. But on this thing, he's not so much singing as "barking".

But the biggest downer for me on Dark Passion Play is the songwriting. When Tuomas isn't writing "epic, sweeping opuses (translation: BORING), he's writing tuneless crap like Bye Bye Beautiful. What kind of hook is that in the chorus where Marco is woofing the title?

I'd been starting to drift from the band anyway due to Tuomas' ever increasing propensity for bloated, self-indulgence. Kicking Tarja out just clinched that I was finished with the band.

I bought DPP just to see what the new singer Annette sounded like. To be honest, she sounds pretty good but she's also just like every other singer doing this style of music. Tarja made Nightwish unique IMO. But I don't think even Tarja could have saved Dark Passion Play. The only song on DPP that I really like is Amaranth. I just find most of the songwriting boring and pretentious.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 11:18 pm

Metallica.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:22 am

DallasBlack wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

What do you mean, they're still around and even did a world tour recently. Also while there are some here who despise them there are some of us who are fans.

The Gooch used to be all Nightwish'd out. I was asking him.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 2:38 am

tohostudios wrote:

For starters, opening the album with a pretentious 14 minute song that's really only about 5 minutes of melody and 9 minutes of FX and noodling around.

Then there's Marco Hietala's "singing". On previous Nightwish albums, I liked Marco's vocal contributions. Heck, I like his vox in Tarot. But on this thing, he's not so much singing as "barking".

But the biggest downer for me on Dark Passion Play is the songwriting. When Tuomas isn't writing "epic, sweeping opuses (translation: BORING), he's writing tuneless crap like Bye Bye Beautiful. What kind of hook is that in the chorus where Marco is woofing the title?

I'd been starting to drift from the band anyway due to Tuomas' ever increasing propensity for bloated, self-indulgence. Kicking Tarja out just clinched that I was finished with the band.

I bought DPP just to see what the new singer Annette sounded like. To be honest, she sounds pretty good but she's also just like every other singer doing this style of music. Tarja made Nightwish unique IMO. But I don't think even Tarja could have saved Dark Passion Play. The only song on DPP that I really like is Amaranth. I just find most of the songwriting boring and pretentious.
at least you do not blame it on Annette, who is a great vocalist. i liked the album, btw.

MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 4:25 am

tohostudios wrote:

I thought the album had a few gems especially The Heart I Once Had that song alone made that release worth the purchase. I love the old Nightwish to the last 2 cds. Fav cd from them is def. Wishmaster...
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 4:33 am

AC/DC 🤘
Iron Maiden :hails:
Judas Priest headbanger
Scorpions
Deep Purple
Helloween
Black Sabbath
Megadeth
Iced Earth
Nighwish
Lacuna Coil
Sirenia
Led Zeppelin
Doors
Queen
Queensryche
Pink Floyd
Accept
Europe
Mr. Big
Van Halen
Thin Lizzy
White Snake
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Edguy
early Metallica and early Def Leppard
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 7:05 am

EvyMetal wrote:

ah how could i forget Nightwish. i went to see them last night. check my review in the hurting words

revised list.

metallica
opeth
pantera
black sabbath
iron maiden
nightwish

in no order except for metallica who are numero uno
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 10:52 pm

I fully expected to despise "Dark Passion Play", but I couldn't. I find it is a new level of songcrafting for Nightwish, who have grown from the perhaps-overly-technical music of "Oceanborn" and "Wishmaster" to the well-rounded product we have today. I was as obsessed with Tarja as anyone, and honestly didn't really WANT to give Annette a chance...but I did. And I'm glad I did! It made my top 13 list of 2007 (amongst rather abrasive and dark competition) with ease. One gyp, however, is that the "bonus orchestral disc" is NOT "orchestral.......it includes all the instruments but the vocals. And speaking of Marco's vocals (I think he's come a long way to being more prominent in the music), have you heard the song he and Tuomas did on the Amaranth dvd single? It is for some Finnish film, and is great!
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 3:31 am

Def Leppard - number one without a doubt. One of two bands that got me into the music that I listen to now, and the first that I compiled a complete discography of (main albums anyway). For better or worse, they've stuck it out and are still around and making new music.

Van Halen - the other band that got me into hard rock. They're still around too, but mostly for the worse.

Other favourites:

Sweet
Slade
Lizzy Borden
KISS
TNT
Judas Priest
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 7:02 am

#1. Probably Rush. Ive had an on again-off again love for this band since 1976 but the last few years Ive discovered them again thanks to mp3 players and remastering. The last couple of summers they have become my #1 mountainbike riding headphone music.
Mainly the '74-'84 era but more specifically '76-'81.
I also rediscovered Iron Maiden and man I forgot how phenominal they were, '79-88 era is all that interests me.
I love Joe Satriani. He aint the best guitarist out there but he doesnt show off either. He makes simple, emotional, cool driving music.
Beatles. I cant stop listening to them.
80's Metallica.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 10:25 am

Quote :

To each his own, however, I don't see how this is that much moreso than previous albums. The orchestra may seem a little bigger but is almost on par with Once and Nightwish has always been all about the orchestation. What I like about this album is that just about every song has a guitar solo (Century Child and Once had them but for only half of the songs) and the heaviness factor is strong than it has been for quite some time.

Quote :

To me his style seems to involve a lot of "barking", thats just the kind of vocalist he is. However, he does sing (quite well I might add) on The Islander.

Quote :

I look at it this way: There are two sides to every story; mine, yours, and the truth. Tuomas says it happened this way, Tarja says it happened this way, but the truth probably lies somewhere between. I really don't give a hoot about a musician's ego, their life problems, their religion or lack thereof, political views, or what have you as long as I enjoy the music.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 am

Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

To each his own, however, I don't see how this is that much moreso than previous albums

Just look at the track lengths. On Wishmaster, my favorite NW album, only two songs are more than 5 minutes long and both are at the end of the CD. On DPP, there are 7 songs over 5 minutes long and the longest one not only opens the CD but is almost as long as the two longest tracks on Wishmaster combined. That's what I call bloated.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:01 am

I have never heard a Nightwish tune - and the previous 15 posts solidify the fact that I never want to.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I have never heard a Nightwish tune - and the previous 15 posts solidify the fact that I never want to.

You're making that up.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 am

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

To each his own, however, I don't see how this is that much moreso than previous albums

Just look at the track lengths. On Wishmaster, my favorite NW album, only two songs are more than 5 minutes long and both are at the end of the CD. On DPP, there are 7 songs over 5 minutes long and the longest one not only opens the CD but is almost as long as the two longest tracks on Wishmaster combined. That's what I call bloated.

Oh well, as I said, to each his own.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Bro... don't hold back !!! How do you Really feel !!!!

lol! lol! lol!
Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Oh yea my favorite band.... reading Toho's post I fell over laughing... just one of those things y'know....

Favorite Bands..... hhhmmmmmm...... oh yea...

RUSH.... all era's all albums....
Iron Maiden .... everything...
AC/DC .... gotta be true to my roots... Back in Black got it in 80' for Xmas. my parents biggest regret I'm sure....

those are a top three.... the rest I also hold dear.

Scorpions
Kings X
Saxon
Judas Priest
Michael Card ... (it's the former Pastor in me...)
John Michael Talbot (see above)
Armored Saint
Rob Rock
Bloodgood
Sacred Warrior
Vengeance
Motorhead
Blue Oyster Cult
Riot
Metallica (some times), early Megadeth, Testament, Belladona era Anthrax,
Dio (re-bought Holy Diver recently... forgot what a classic that is....!)
Dream Theater
Daniel Band
Joe Satriani
Yngwie...
George Winston (and other assorted New Age artists)
Mozart (and other classical composers...)
John Williams, Howard Shore....
jazz....

I like a lot of stuff, at times I feel a bit out leagued here because I don't know who that hot new thrash/speed/death band is from south Denmark.... (who is it by the way?)... j/kidding...

I'm pretty old school, and grew up with a lot of the early Christian metal stuff. Usta right for White Throne back then.... fun...

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Band!   Your Favourite Band! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite Band!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next