Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?

Go down 
+20
Jedilink
Leatherface
manny
akeldama
metalinmyveins
ThrashedOutCobra33
jstate
the sentinel
Troublezone
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
kethdredd
DeathCult
ultmetal
shamgar75
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
SideShowDisaSter
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Empty
PostSubject: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:40 pm

I've been on this odd binge lately of classic and underrated albums. Here's one I've listened to a good 20 times in the last week or so: Megadeth's So Far, So Good...So What?

Initially, though I thought it was cool, I wasn't as impressed with this disc as I was with Peace Sells and Rust in Peace, two of my favs. Lately, though, I'm seeing the excellence in it.

The cool thing about this album is how dynamic it is. The complexity in the compositions is about the same as Peace Sells, not overly- but moderately-technical. There's more of a cynical tone to the album, foreshadowing the epic follow-up (e.g. Mary Jane, Set the World Afire, In My Darkest Hour, Hook in Mouth). Where this album differs from its predessor is the frequent tempo changes. Good examples of this are the solo sections in In My Darkest Hour, and (my fav) 502 (which reminds me a lot of the solo from Bad Omen....how it just explodes with that bent high note....just sick). Another thing to listen for is the frequent, yet sparingly, use of double-bass drumming, in some cases lasting only a few seconds. It adds such an interesting texture to the music.

This album is raw, fast at times, melodic at times, but always aggressive. And in case you don't own this yet and you've heard about the horrible production (due to the band's large drug budget), don't worry because the remastered version sounds great (though I'm not too down with the Paul Lani bonus remixes).

If you don't own it yet, please do yourself a favour and pick it up. \m/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 pm

humble
I give you a high five, another words, very good album. It happens to be one of my favs of Mgadeth, by far. Mary Jane, In my darkest hour, 502, Hook In Mouth, etc. Most are my favorite songs they've done.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 10:24 pm

This Megadeth will always have a special memory for me as it's the 1st Megadeth album I ever purchased and took with me to Senior Week '89 in Wildwood NJ. We played the hell out of this cassette tape, along with Anthrax's State of Euphoria and Metallica's ...Justice and oddly enough, the Bullet Boys. When ever I pop in this cd, it brings up the good times I had with my buddies that week (most of whom I'm friends with still) and one buddy Joe that sadly, passed away a few years ago.

It may not be the best Megadeth in the fans opinions, but it's always gonna be special to me.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 11:32 pm

Not my favorite Megadeth but still a very good album.This album always seemed to have a darker feel to it than any of the others.In My Darkest Hour is the highlight for me.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 pm

It's actually one of my favorite Megadeth albums. It was the first one I actually owned, so nostalgia plays a factor in my appreciation of it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:29 pm

My favourite by them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 8:21 pm

Good review. This is a classic. I have a hard time saying which is my favorite of Megadeth's but this is close and I love Hook In Mouth.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 7:19 am

there is good songs on there for sure but also some songs that never did a lot for me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 5:48 pm

TheGooch wrote:
there is good songs on there for sure but also some songs that never did a lot for me

Which songs do you dislike?
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 11:32 pm

A very underrated album IMO. Into the Lungs of Hell and Set the World Afire are killer tracks. In my Darkest Hour is a great track, dedicated to Cliff Burton. The rest of the album is good. I purchased the remastered version and it definitely sounds much fuller. Not the best Megadeth album (Rust in Peace holds that title for me) but still a solid album.

Dave can sure write good songs.

🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 8:27 am

Great album, but I much prefer the original mix to the new "remastered" version. I HATE those horns/keyboards Dave added to the opening track. He says in the liner notes that it was what the band intended from the beginning. Frankly, I don't care. It's distracting and changes the overall feel of the song. I also do not care as much for the re-recorded vocals on this album. I was over Trog's place this weekend listening to the two different mixes and comparing them. I would swear that the original release has a much more raw vocal sound. The "remaster" sounds too clean and quite a bit different. Nothing is said about the vocals being re-recorded in the liner notes, but it sure sounds like something is different to me.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 9:26 am

i might have to spin this later on today just to hear the horns 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:19 am

Those "horns" suck! They RUIN the song IMO. I hate when bands mess with history. Ozzy ruined his first two albums having parts re-recorded. Megadeth did the same with these "remasters". They aren't remasters, they are remixes, and in some case re-recordings.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 12:06 pm

Yep, and I'll never buy them
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 7:31 am

My favourite Megadeth album. I love every song on it, even the Sex Pistols cover.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 am

Although, I have always loved this album, aside from Anarchy In The UK, sometimes Ill listen to it, but usually it gets skipped over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 11:32 am

DeathCult wrote:
Although, I have always loved this album, aside from Anarchy In The UK, sometimes Ill listen to it, but usually it gets skipped over.

Motley Crue's version is much better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 4:13 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

I think you forgot something. Where's the J/K emoticon? That's a joke, right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 5:51 pm

This album has some really good stuff on it. But honestly, the obligatory Sex Pistols cover just ruins the flow of the album.

This was the last of the great Megadeth albums, IMO.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 6:57 pm

I agree, the Sex Pistols cover sounds totally contrived to me. Frankly I don't care for ANYONE trying to cover the Sex Pistols. Everyone attempts (and fails IMHO) to emulate the vocals rage, it never seems to work.

I really like this disc, although its ridiculously short.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

I think you forgot something. Where's the J/K emoticon? That's a joke, right?

No way, man. Motley's version IS better! butt dance
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 10:23 pm

This is definetly a great megadeth album. I remember buying the cassette back when the WIZ was in business. I have both versions the original cd and also the remixed remastered. I like all the remixed remastered megadeth albums because it gave a lot of these songs some new life. Like Ult said though the horns do bother me as well but not enough to hate the remasters. Also another thing that bothers me with the remasters is the acoustic intro to in my darkest hour. That probably bothers me the most but again not enough to hate the remasters at all. The songs are still as heavy as they were originally if not more. The snare drum could have been beefed up a little more I like the originals in that sense. The album does seem like the songs are kind of random especially with anarchy in the uk in the middle but its still great. Brings back a lot of great memories. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28442

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 8:07 pm

A very solid album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:34 am

I always hated the drum sound on this album and i prefer the remaster in some ways mainly the improved drum sound but there are some things he should have left alone. The new intro to (In my Darkest Hour) doesn't sound as good to me. The original versions of some of the songs are the bonus tracks. The horn sound has always been there it just was muffled low on the original and some seem to not have noticed it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:35 am

It's one of my favs btw. Great record!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?   Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - So Far, So Good....So What?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next