Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post-Beatles

Go down 
+12
Schbopo
Hamer12
EvyMetal
White_Mage
stepcousin
XYZ
SAHB Healer
spiritoradio
Tall Tyrion
DeathCult
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:05 pm

This topic may not appeal to everyone, but I thought it would bring up some good discussion amongst Beatles fans. Out of the 4 (John, Paul, George & Ringo), who do you think had a better post-Beatle career in terms of both overall success and just good music?

Overall success, I'd probably point to Paul McCartney, both solo and with Wings. Musically speaking, I prefer John Lennon's work. I admit that I'm not real familiar with George's solo stuff other than a few hits and the release Cloud 9. And Ringo? Well, I'd say Ringo got lucky and was in the right place at the right time.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:09 pm

Easily Paul. As I said in that other thread, I prefer his Wings output to anything the Beatles ever did.

Jet, Junior's Farm, Hi Hi Hi, Live and Let Die, Band On The Run, Venus and Mars...

Great songs!

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Paul would be as popular as John if he would have been assassined
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:55 pm

I'd say John.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Overall, I prefer John's solo stuff over anyone else's.

I had heard that Ringo made the most money on his post-Beatle career.
Back to top Go down

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:

Really? I tought Paul and John made most money.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 4:52 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

I think he meant that Ringo made more money for himself from his post-Beatle work, rather than the time he was actually in the band. I could see that, considdering that Lennon and McCartney wrote the bulk of the Beatles music, they would get the lion's share of the royalties.
Back to top Go down

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Reminds me of a joke, Paul was talking to his agent one day and the agent asked him, was he gonna go down on one leg and Paul turned and said to him "I'd rather you called her Heather" !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 5:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

I think he meant that Ringo made more money for himself
from his post-Beatle work, rather than the time he was actually in the
band. I could see that, considdering that Lennon and McCartney wrote
the bulk of the Beatles music, they would get the lion's share of the
royalties.

I'm sure that's true as well, but I actually heard that Ringo was the
most financially sucessful ex-Beatle. I don't have anything to back
that up with, it's just something a buddy of mine at the radio station
told me.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 6:21 pm

Paul was/is the most popular post Beatle IMO, he is also the most consistent music wise. John was very dodgy with his post Beatle music mainly with Yoko. I really like George's solo material the most. Ringo has played with a lot of other big hitters over time like Joe Walsh, Leon Russel, Marc Bolan, Billy Preston, Harry Nilson, The Band...etc
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
DeathCult
DeathCult

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 6:23 pm

Personally, I never liked Wings
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Personally, I never liked Wings

Not even the Honey Barbeque?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Oh, I'm all about those, but Paul McCartney's? No thanks.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 1:03 am

The only post Beatles stuff I own are two "Best of George Harrison" discs. I guess I liked him best, but I was never a Beatles fan aside from a few songs.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 6:49 am

You have to admit though, The WHite Album was truly a great disc. Even if you are a casual fan
Back to top Go down

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:02 am

Helter Skelter was a great Hard Rock song maybe the first! While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of my favourite Beatles song and it was writen by George. So yes the WHite album was great!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Paul is worth well over a billion dollars, but I think John, if he was still alive, would be more popular than Paul.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:14 am

Ringo: had a few great songs but more or less lived off the coattails of the other guys. One thing for sure, nobody disliked Ringo. Probably the most liked Beatle as far as straight up personality goes.
George: Loved his guitar playing and he was a great songwriter but other than a few songs, I wasnt really a fan. Not into his whole maharishi-trip. I usually skip the Beatle songs like WithIn You, Without You and the other sitar-driven hindu-babble songs he made back then.
John: Yoko ruined him. I cant stand about 80% of his music from 1968 up to 1980. sorry Lennon fans, just never seemed to get him at all.
Paul: Big fan, loved everything he did from 1963 to about '82 or so. I even can tolerate stuff since the 80's. Paul may be the greatest pop song writer ever. and that aint such a bad thing if it's done well.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:46 am

After Ringo and Paul die I want to start a band called The Beatles and then play Grindcore
lol! just kidding

I would agree that Paul has had the most successful post-beatles career but his success is coming from his Beatles career I imagine
(Doesn't he still play beatles songs solo?)
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 3:18 pm

I'd say Paul McCartney, he's had WINGS, and his solo career. Plus he's still alive!
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 4:16 pm

My favorite is George. Cloud 9 is one of my all time favorite albums.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 7:13 pm

George. That guy could do everything! Sing, play guitar, write songs. My favorite Beatle.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 pm

The most successful Paul McCartney, almost all of his post Beatles work has been successful, I also think Paul McCartney was most accomplished musician of all the Beatles, even in songs that were not that so great, and let's face it Paul has released a lot of substandard material, you can at least pull out a great bass line or great pop vocal melody.

John Lennon was great also and was the one who took must chances both musicially and personally. What is really great about John Lennon that he wasn't afaird to fall flat on face in public. Albums like "Two Virgins" horrible, but I admire the fact he never was afaird to challenge himself, and when he succeded like "Plastic ono Band" the results were spectacular.

George Harrison, he was good pop songwriter who didn't really get a chance totally expand on these talents in The Beatles, and who could when you had a songwriters like Lennon/McCartney. "All Things Must Pass" is probably the best solo album by any of the Beatles IMO.

Ringo Starr, his solo albums were not meant to be taken serious and he didnot take himself to serious. The other 3 Beatles saw themselves as artist, Ringo thinks of himself as a drummer and entertainer. His solo hit " Photograph" is not bad song and he has not done to bad for himself.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Don't care much for the Beatles nor the solo stuff except Wings
Back to top Go down

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 2:43 am

John was popular beause of his controversial drug driven hippie fad, but he did have good post Beatles music. How couldn't he?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Post-Beatles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Beatles   Post-Beatles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post-Beatles
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next