Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that changed drastically overnight

Go down 
+18
Mattallica667
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
TheGooch
the sentinel
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Troublezone
James B.
assault_attack
kmorg
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
MetalRob331
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 9:28 pm

What does Biohazard have to do with RATM or Downset? That's a sincere question.

It's seems like apples and oranges to me.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I would have to say that Young Modern, while not extremely drastic, it was a big leap, and it doesn't sound all that natural of a shift to me.

It is a natural progression from Diorama, still utilizes the strings and high vocals. Less guitary i guess. But look at a song like "Keep Losing Sleep" could easily have come from Diorama. But those two albums can easily be put together and distinguished from the first 3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
True but so is your Downset/Rage Against The Machine theory.
Wrong. That is fact. Dead serious.
It's a crazy conspiracy theory in the league of the Pantera/Exhorder one.

Downset to my ears have more in common with Biohazard than Rage Against The Machine. And it could be argued that Biohazard begat Rage Against The Machine and Downset in that loose style of music.
It's not a conspiracy theory. No band has ever had that style outside of Downset and RATM. Biohazard isn't even close. Do you think it's strange that a band like Downset could be around since 1989, getting big, making noise within the scene, covering an Inside Out song while Zack is still singing for that band and RATM isn't even a band yet; but when they do form they have a sound and style that's virtually identical to Downset's? Not only that, both bands hail from LA, and before either band was signed, Downset were mentioning the fact that Rage ripped them off in their lyrics.

If you can listen to that song and say you don't hear RATM written all over it, you're crazy! =) Repeated lines. "Yay-Ya!" The riffs. Everything reeks of what RATM churned out. By the way, "Anger" is about RATM, only they changed the lyrics on their first full-length. The second verse was specifically directed at RATM and Zack on the original version.

Is that Morello on guitar? lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 11:53 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I would have to say that Young Modern, while not extremely drastic, it was a big leap, and it doesn't sound all that natural of a shift to me.

It is a natural progression from Diorama, still utilizes the strings and high vocals. Less guitary i guess. But look at a song like "Keep Losing Sleep" could easily have come from Diorama. But those two albums can easily be put together and distinguished from the first 3.

Young Modern sounds like The Dissociatives to me. I have listened over and over to it and Keep Losing Sleep is the only track i can find that resembles Diorama. Daniels vocals as well are really different. I agree with the statement that Neon Ballroom and Diorama seemed like a big change as well. It was in my eyes cuz Diorama took forever to get into...
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
King Kobra went from metal band to pop rock between Ready to Strike and Thrill of a Lifetime and to almost a sleaze band on King Kobra III.

And vocalist Mark Free changed drastically to Marcie Free Very Happy .

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 7:51 am

could metallica fit into that possibly they certainly have changed a lot but over time i guess
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 6:05 pm

What about Morgoth? They went from a death metal band to an alternative rock band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 6:47 pm

I had a big problem at the time with Cinderella as they progressed from "Night Songs" to "Long Cold Winter".
Back to top Go down
Mattallica667
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mattallica667

Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:20 pm

AC/DC is the perfect example with Back In Black (though I love both the eras).
Sabbath is another example (once again, I love both eras)
And Van Halen (I like Sammy but not as much as David).
Back to top Go down
Mattallica667
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mattallica667

Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 pm

Scratch that, METALLICA is the Perfect example. They went from a thrash band to a pop/alt band with a tiny bit of metal still in them with the release of Load and ReLoad. The Blaack Album, wasn't that bad, because at least it still had SOME metal songs.
Same with Guns N' Rose (the Spaghetti Incident, Anyone?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Metallica has never been pop/alt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Metallica has never been pop/alt.

Are you really sure you want to go toe to toe with a guy named "Mattallica"? I mean it's probably his name, "Matt", mixed with the "tallica" from Metallica. I'm pretty sure the guy knows his chops.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Mettallica incorporated some grunge imho, but never pop, then they forgot how to play drums.

Bon Jovi changed a lot after New Jersey in my book.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 1:03 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
Mettallica .....forgot how to play drums.

Amen to that! And that, my friend is the reason why you will never hear another 80's sounding Metallica album. Lars lost whatever he had.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 2:09 pm

troublezone wrote:
Pantera went from Ratt mets Priest to Exhorder lite!!!
They neither changed overnight or drastically. If you're comparing Metal Magic to Far Beyond Driven, then that is drastic. But it's not quite accurate. They naturally got heavier as they evolved as a band.

EDIT: Would you dicks stop bumping old threads without telling me! I already cussed troublezone out for that post months ago! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 2:12 pm

spectrefate wrote:
emptytomb1 wrote:
Mettallica .....forgot how to play drums.
Amen to that! And that, my friend is the reason why you will never hear another 80's sounding Metallica album. Lars lost whatever he had.
I agree with this. A lot of people say Lars always sucked, but I disagree. His drum work on the first four albums is killer! His fills had so much personality; no one did it like him.

But now—blech. Even in the rehearsal videos, he seems to struggle with figuring out what to do. It doesn't appear to come naturally to him anymore. That's too bad.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 2:41 am

The 69 Eyes are a big one.

They were primo sleazy garage glam punk n' roll in the mid 90's when you weren't meant to be doing it and they were the natural successors to Finland's favourite sons Smack and Hanoi Rocks.

.....But then they became Goth baiters somwherez around the turn of the century, pin ups of the Nu-Goth scene along with fellow country(wo)men H.I.M. Wrote totally cliche songs that predictably roped in all the teenage goth girls about Brandon Lee, the Lost Boys and um their biggest hit "Gothic Girl".

The music was all bad Sister's Of Mercy derivative goth metal and Jyrki's voice had gone impossibly deep.

Nowadays their sleazy elements have come back, but who are they kidding. I honestly believe if they had of stuck to the music they were making on Motor City Resurrection then people would have asking the Backyard who?

Before:

69 Eyes - Run Rabbit Run circa 1996 (This actually features Claude from Smack on vocals of this cover but this was the style they played)

After:

69 Eyes - Wasting The Dawn circa 1999

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 3:42 am

Wow! I never knew 69 Eyes were once a sleazy rock band. I don't recall ever hearing about them until the "HIM" explosion. I figured they were always that style. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 4:23 am

Yep, Motor City Resurrection from 1994 is a sleaze classic. Up there with the Backyard Babies. The reissue has them covering The Stooges and the New York Dolls with a guest appearance from Andy McCoy (Hanoi Rocks).

They were way into the Throbs, L.A. Guns, Guns N' Roses, Smack etc.

It was just a really bad case of a band selling out/taking advantage of a certain crowd. Or as the Hard-Ons so brilliantly put it, "Making Money Off Goths Is Easy".

The image change best exemplifies this.

From sleazy gutter rock merchants

Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 69eyes2

...To Goth overlords

Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 69eyes-3
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am

I have all the 69 Eyes discs and though I love sleaze, I prefer they're goth music. "Angels" is a great goth rock album!

I think part of the reason I don't like their early stuff is that the production is atrocious.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 pm

I'm going to go with Fleetwood Mac. Their early bluesy encarnation vs. the California soft rock sound after Buckingham/Nicks joined the band. Now, personally, I actually enjoy both encarnations (yes, I have Rumors, and I play it often... I'm not ashamed).

Another band I would list, and please don't hate me VH fans, is Van Halen. I actually consider the Roth and Hagar encarnations as separate bands. For me, if someone mentions Van Halen, they are referring to their first (and vastly superior) 6 albums. Everything else is Van Hagar, which has it's charm, but is not Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Dokken briefly dipped their toes into the alternative pond with the ill-conceived SHADOWLIFE album ... and when it was met with massive disinterest (not to mention some outright hatred) from the record buying public, they gee-scrammed right back to more traditional Dokken pastures on the follow up, ERASE THE SLATE. They have disowned SHADOWLIFE ever since.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:08 am

Metallica seem to change every time they out an album out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 8:31 am

KISS did it with Creatures and Lick It Up.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 9:09 am

The Moody Blues is a great example. Their first album was very poppy R&B music and the next one was the symphonic tinged rock they became famous for.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that changed drastically overnight   Bands that changed drastically overnight - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that changed drastically overnight
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next