Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Therion

Go down 
+10
Vordul
MetalRob331
DallasBlack
candlemass
Wargod
Todd Jaymz
Olafsto
GrandNational
mc666
Sword Of The Heretic
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Gothic Kabbalah, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. It's not for everyone, but it's pretty damn killer. I think Lemuria/Sirius B is also a masterpiece!

I'm with you here brother! Both of these albums are sheer masterpieces!!!

Happy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 2:58 am

Can anybody choose which disc they like better: Lemuria or Sirius B. I sure as hell can't choose, I believe they are both great (besides I think of them as one album even if they technically aren't). I am listening to Lemuria today and will listen to Sirius B tomarrow to see if my opinion changes.

If you look at my top list for 2007, Gothic Kabbalah is pretty high up there. I think it is a great album although it didn't grab me quite as hard as Lumuria/Sirius B upon the first few listens.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 3:52 am

vordul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8847LoLX1vQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKDhhoMoh2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRe6qZcUOGA
http://media.putfile.com/therion-44
Back to top Go down

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 9:56 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Can anybody choose which disc they like better: Lemuria or Sirius B. I sure as hell can't choose, I believe they are both great (besides I think of them as one album even if they technically aren't). I am listening to Lemuria today and will listen to Sirius B tomarrow to see if my opinion changes.

If you look at my top list for 2007, Gothic Kabbalah is pretty high up there. I think it is a great album although it didn't grab me quite as hard as Lumuria/Sirius B upon the first few listens.

Well, technically "Lemuria/Sirius B" is one album - a double album. I bought my copy as a two-disc album. I realize they are sold separately as well. Both albums are 10/10s. INCREDIBLE! "Gothic Kabbalah" is great too, but like you mentioned - just not as good as "Lemuria/Sirius B". I personally feel that Therion raised the bar too high for themselves with L/SB. They probably won't ever make an album that great again. Though - I love all their stuff and will probably always buy every album they put out. This is one of my favorite bands and "Gothic Kabbalah" was in my top 10 for the year.

If I HAD to choose which I liked better out of "Lemuria/Sirius B" - I'd probably have to choose "Sirius B". But it's a tough call.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 2:29 pm

I started with Gothic Kabbalah first because of Snowy Shaw. I liked the stuff he did with Notre Dame and hes also one of my favorite drummers. (hes a bit odd looking though with all the different hair styles he does). So I picked the new one up at the mall and although I havent gave the whole cd a good listen yet I like it. I recently just pretty much bought their entire catelog on ebay and then their first 3 at a record store this past weekend. I only need one more (A'arab Zaraq - Lucid Dreaming) to complete the collection.
Back to top Go down

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 7:34 pm

I have quite a few holes in my Therion collection, but I'm fairy new to them as well. I discovered them with "Lemuria/Sirius B" and have since only obtained "Gothic Kabbalah". I have a long way to go before attaining all their stuff. They have quite a few albums out. One reason I've abstained from getting their older stuff is because I heard a lot of it at a friend's house - and it just doesn't seem to hold a candle to what they are doing now. Quite a bit more death metal oriented. It's on the list though and in a few years' time I should have it all.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 7:11 pm

Just listening to one of my fav bands here and just realized how genius Christofer really is.

One of the best solos ever right here...

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 7:14 pm

He was genius until the Gothic Turd came out.

Seriously, Therion was my favorite band. Then that 70s prog wannabe album dropped and I dropped Therion like a bad habit.

Still love Lemuria/Sirius B, Secret Of the Runes, Deggial, Vovin, etc but that last album is one of my biggest musical disappointments in the last decade.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 7:35 pm

I agree it def was off from there last few releases, but i love it as long as he is the mastermind. I didnt like the prog step they took either, but they will be back...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:11 am

I was highly disappointed with Gothic Kabbalah too when I first heard it, like I was with Kamelot-Ghost Opera. However, the difference is, GK grew on me while Ghost Opera still leaves me wanting. It ended up being one of my favorite albums last year although it still pales in comparison to the previous ones. Like Metal Rob, I believe that it was an experimental album and we should wait and hear what future albums sound like before comming to any conclusions. All bands like to experiment now and then and while some continue in that direction (i.e. Megadeth-up until recently, Metallica, Alice In Chains, etc.), others come back with a vengeance (Tourniquet-after two albums, Testament, Overkill, etc.). I believe Therion will be one of the latter, but only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:49 am

Considering Christoffer is the only remaining member, I think the new direction will continue.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Anyone pick up there live dvd and cd?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Not me.

I'm still boycotting them for the Gothic Turd.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Check out this awesome cover of ABBA's Summernight City:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqVFfT4Kck

Concidering that I hate disco, this version beats the hell out of the origional.

I actually paid the higher price for the Japanese version of Secret Of The Runes to have this song in my collection
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 10:09 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Considering Christoffer is the only remaining member, I think the new direction will continue.

Not necessarily, he only co-wrote 5 of the songs from GK but has had a hand in practically every song in the two albums before it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Therion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Therion   Therion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Therion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2