Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Therion - Leviathan (2021)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Therion - Leviathan (2021) Empty
PostSubject: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Leviathan' is the first single from Therion's 17th album of the same name, set to be released on January 22nd via Nuclear Blast.

Balancing ominous atmosphere and powerful, seducing chants, "Leviathan" succeeds in virtually conjuring the mythical sea creature the song has borrowed its name from.

THERION has always been a band that challenged itself to explore new paths, while remaining true to its musical core values. For its 17th studio album, "Leviathan", mastermind Christofer Johnsson and his collaborator Thomas Vikström have created something that has been previously unthinkable to the guitarist and the singer. "We have done the only thing that was left of all the different angles to explore," explains Christofer. "We have decided to give the people what they kept asking for. 'Leviathan' is the first album that we have deliberately packed with THERION hit songs."

When Christofer faced the question of where to go next after the dramatic "Beloved Antichrist" (2018) had finally fulfilled his musical mission, his answer is "Leviathan", named after a giant sea monster from Judeo-Christian myth that has roots in Babylonic lore: THERION has created a giant hit album — and for the first time in the history of the Swedes, their fans are not asked to explore something new, but simply to lean back and enjoy the best from their band.

1 - The Leaf On The Oak Of Far
2 - Tuonela
3 - Leviathan
4 - Die Wellen Der Zeit
5 - Aži Dahāka
6 - Eye Of Algol
7 - Nocturnal Light
8 - Great Marquis Of Hell
9 - Psalm Of Retribution
10 - El Primer Sol
11 - Ten Courts Of Diyu
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 6:19 pm

I haven't bought anything past Sithra Ahra, as I found that pretty disappointing (Children of the Stone is an awesome song though). They kind of moved away from what I wanted to hear, so I opted out.

But the description here sounds pretty interesting. I did love Gothic Kabbalah and the albums before it. Hoping this might be in that vein, and quality.

Marco Hietala will be a guest on track #2. Makes sense as it's a Finnish title.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Weird. I thought I posted in this thread already but apparently I F'd up.

Anyway, like you Lari the last Therion album I bought was Sithra Ahra and I found about 3 tracks on it that I liked. However, unlike you I HATED Gothic Turd! So I officially wrote this band off.

But I have to say that track you posted is GREAT! I barely listen to "symphonic metal" anymore but I do still dig out the Therion classics like Deggial, Vovin and of course Sirius B and this new track fits right in with that era of Therion IMO. I like the idea of a Therion "hits" album so I hope all the rest of the songs are as strong as this one. If so it's a MUST BUY for me!

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 pm

I am barely familiar with Therion. Need to check out their previous releases.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 10:12 pm

Gilbert wrote:

I'd suggest starting with Sirius B. Followed by Vovin and Deggial.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 am

tohostudios wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I'd suggest starting with Sirius B.  Followed by Vovin and Deggial.

Great. Will check those out then.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 12:08 am

I've enjoyed all their albums, but they lost me on Les Fleurs Du Mal. Never been a big fan of foreign language albums unless it's some sort of death metal where I wouldn't have been able to understand the words either way. But it might just be the French that I dislike. It's always struck me as a silly language. Haha.

The new song is great, though. Hope that's an indication that they've gone back to that heavier, faster style on this one.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Here's another one from the new album.

I'm not as enthused about this one.  The melody is memorable enough but it's kind of slow and boring IMO.

That sounds like Nightwish to me which is an instant turnoff. I kept waiting for guitars to kick in but they never do. Meh.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 12:30 am

She's got a pretty voice. Who is that?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 1:44 pm

The album cover makes me think of the Asia debut LP:

Therion - Leviathan (2021) Therioncover2020

Therion - Leviathan (2021) 71%2BY16Hw0pL._SL1280_
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 3:17 pm

LOL, I thought exactly the same thing!

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 6:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:
LOL, I thought exactly the same thing!
It was impossible for me to miss because of this:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/t23626p600-the-vinyl-collecting-thread
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 1:47 am

The album is out. And there is a new video, for the song Tuonela:

Marco Hietala is the new Kai Hansen. He gets involved with everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Therion - Leviathan (2021)   Therion - Leviathan (2021) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Therion - Leviathan (2021)
Page 1 of 1