Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So you never listened to Christian Metal?

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
Vordul
Muloc7253
Tall Tyrion
shamgar75
Stender
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
sam
kethdredd
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 pm

I myself have something of a love/hate relationship with Christian metal......or Christian Rock in general, for that matter.

On the one hand, I'm a big fan of groups like Trouble, Zao, Stryper, Atestor (Christian Black Metal), and Mortification. Narnia is also beyond awesome......and then there's that Ultima-whatever band you folks talk about so much. lol!

However, there's always been one humungous problem I've had with the entire Christian rock scene. It's that there are a bunch of bands, with very little talent, who become popular because they are marketed as the "Christian alternative" to something.

Anyone here who has ever gone to a Christian rock show (and I'm guessing some of you probably have), you'll know what I'm talking about. There will certaintly be some really cool bands, but the rest of the show is filled with these "Christian alternative" bands. There's the band that's Green Day-like, the band that's U2-like, the band that's Metallica-like.....and I literally mean that. These bands basically copy the forumla of these more famous bands, only with Christain lyrics.

Fortunantly, we've got modern Christian metal bands like Mortification and Narnia who are famous not just because they have Christain lyrics, but because they can actually PLAY.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 pm

true, that is the only thing i have against most christian bands, if they would play creative music with good christian lyrics i would be more interesting
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Every band has their influences and most have been accused of sounding like someone. When Aerosmith first were on the scene, they were accused of being Rolling Stones clones. When Cinderella were hot, many reviewers were claiming they were an Aerosmith clone. Guns 'n Roses had a HUGE Aerosmith sound. The secular scene has a band like Airbourne that is getting massive airplay, yet they sound like an AC/DC clone. Trivium are often called a Metallica clone, etc. etc. etc. I think the "sounds like this band" thing is pretty universal. So, it's not just in the Christian scene.

Unfortunately, there are far less Christian bands than there are secular bands, so it seems that the percentage of quality to crap bands is much smaller.

However, I am not saying there aren't bands who purposely try and be "an alternative to ___" because there are.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Being original is not only overrated, it's very difficult to do. Almost every band sounds like some other band. Look at how many Zep clones there are (Kingdom Come and Badlands leap to mind), but that does not make them bad bands, I like both of them. There are probably thousands of other bands you can add to that list.

But what about Zep? Surely they were original, right?

Not even close.

Zeppelin ripped off countless blues and folk artists on their albums. They were even sued by Willie Dixon, who was added as a co-writer of Whole Lotta Love and paid royalties.

Sometimes it's intentional, but more often, I think it's done unconciously. One time I wrote a really cool lick on my son's guitar, only to eventually realize that it was an Iron Maiden song. I also wrote some lyrics based around a riff in my head. When I was humming the riff for my guitar player, he pointed out that it was a Deep Purple song. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 pm

i don't see anything rare in this auction. also there are some misleading info...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 4:08 am

The "clone" allegations are almost always unfounded. They ignore all the details that don't support their allegation.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 8:19 am

syrus wrote:
i don't see anything rare in this auction. also there are some misleading info...

That's because your idea of "rare" and most other people's idea or "rare" is quite different. Your idea of rare is some record that had 300 copies pressed in 1984. The CDs in this auction are mostly out of print and not easily obtained, thus they are rare.

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 8:54 am

ultmetal wrote:
syrus wrote:

That's because your idea of "rare" and most other people's idea or "rare" is quite different. Your idea of rare is some record that had 300 copies pressed in 1984. The CDs in this auction are mostly out of print and not easily obtained, thus they are rare.

you're right about this,sir. the idea of "rarity" is completely subjective. specially in these dark ages. but be sure that i don't consider rare some 300 supposedly pressed copies. especially when many of them came with other 2700 copies as bonus from the factory....
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Last TWO hours!!!

Man, I'm so tempted to try again...but then it's a big hassle to turn around and piece-meal it.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 11:17 pm

It's over.

Anyone here win? The price is actually darn good and makes me lament not trying. I thought sure it would push $1000.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you never listened to Christian Metal?   So you never listened to Christian Metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So you never listened to Christian Metal?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2