Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VENOM - Welcome To Hell

Go down 
+12
Leatherface
DeathCult
TrogDawn
krokus
ThrashedOutCobra33
rattpoison
mc666
nevermore
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
James B.
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

VENOM - Welcome To Hell Empty
PostSubject: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:21 pm

You know, alot of people always say that the biggest joke in modern metal is Manowar, with their 'manly' Conan-inspired get-up and their songs praising the Norse gods and condemning poseurs.

These people have never heard of Venom. Very Happy

Venom are, without a doubt, the BIGGEST joke in the history of heavy metal. They are to 70s/early 80s Euro-metal what Nitro were to late 80s hair bands: Take every single stereotype of their particular subgenre and take it to surreal and illogical extremes.

And I don't think Venom ever did this better than with their debut, Welcome to Hell.

First things first. The production is BAD. I mean really REALLY BAD. Bad as Hellhammer? No, worse. The entire album sounds like they're playing into a microphone hidden in a sewer pipe. It's almost punkish sounding. The drums are muffled, the guitars are foggy, and Cronos's voice echoes....and not intentionally.

Now, remember what I said about these guys taking the stereotypes of 'satanic' rock n' roll and taking it to extremes? Well, there really is no other way to describe the content of this album. All of the things that fundamentalist Christians have screamed and ranted about for over half a century is present here, in spades. Evil sounding guitars, insipid satanic lyrics, (fake) back-masking, devil-worshiping image, etc. It's all here.

That's all well and good, except that these guys sacrifice musicianship for the sake of the gimmic. There is no musical progression or diversity, period. All of the tunes are so similar that they eventually run together. The drums are extremely primitive, and the guitars and bass never progress beyond the basic three-chord minimum.

Then the lyrics. Oh my sweet satan, the lyrics. Look, the fact that the lyrics reek of Satan worship doesn't bother me. There have been bands in the past whose lyrics are loaded with occultism (such as Mercyful Fate and Morbid Angel) who are both great musicans and extremely versatile, and whose lyrics can actually be intresting. But this stuff? It's just cartoonish. This is the type of stuff you'd expect from some no-talent screen writer living in a shack in West Hollywood. I can understand the fact that this was back in the early 80s and that these guys were blazing new trails....except that they weren't. Black Sabbath had been doing this for over ten years already, and much better. This stuff? Garbage, utter garbage.

So.....am I saying that this album should be completely passed up and left in semi-obscurity?

No, believe it or not.

This album, for all of its flaws (and their are many, MANY flaws), is still a very important part of heavy metal history. This album has influenced thousands upon thousands of bands since it's release. Everyone from Metallica, to Celtic Frost, to Mercyful Fate, to Mayhem, and many others have been influenced by this thing.

Furthermore, if you ever feel guilty or scared about the lyrics, remember this: It's all a big joke. Cronos himself has gone on record a zillion times saying that they're more of a parody than anything. They have also publicly distanced themselves from the bastard child subgenre they inadvertedly gave birth to afterwards.

Plus, the music CAN be kinda catchy, it just takes a while.

I give this album two and a half demon-possessed smileymen out five.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 1/2:twisted:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:45 pm

Welcome to Hell is an awesome album. But I won't say you are wrong with your points. But you should look a little deeper and see that behind the goofy gimmick, is a band that has real talent. Sure this debut is campy as hell, but that's what makes it fantastic. Listen to Venom's Resurrection album and you wouldn't believe it's the same band. (with different drummer of course)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 10:19 pm

I havn't listened to that album since around 84' or 85'.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:30 am

Quote :
Then the lyrics. Oh my sweet satan, the lyrics. Look, the fact that the lyrics reek of Satan worship doesn't bother me. There have been bands in the past whose lyrics are loaded with occultism (such as Mercyful Fate and Morbid Angel) who are both great musicans and extremely versatile, and whose lyrics can actually be intresting. But this stuff? It's just cartoonish. This is the type of stuff you'd expect from some no-talent screen writer living in a shack in West Hollywood. I can understand the fact that this was back in the early 80s and that these guys were blazing new trails....except that they weren't. Black Sabbath had been doing this for over ten years already, and much better. This stuff? Garbage, utter garbage.

I've not been a big Venom fan since the 80's. I don't hate them, and actually enjoy some stuff by them. I have a few songs on my Ipod. However, their lyrics don't do much for me either. Therefore, I don't necessarily disagree with your points.

However, I do disagree with saying that "Black Sabbath had been doing this for over ten years already, and much be". To the contrary, if you read Sabbath's lyrics, especially the early stuff, it was warnings "against" Satanism, the occult, etc. As a matter of fact, many of those early songs had Christian leanings to them. A song like "Black Sabbath" or especially "After Forever" were very blatant.

Quote :
After Forever
Black Sabbath

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when youre dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or
Do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the pope on the end of a rope
Do you think hes a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes Ive seen the light and Ive changed my ways
And Ill be prepared when youre lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be youre afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
That God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you dont believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you cant retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that heis the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? yes! I think its too late.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:35 am

Welcome To Hell is a stone cold, bonafide, stupid-as-Hell-but-stupid-on-purpose-so-it's-OK classic.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 am

I like some of the earlier Venom stuff. I'm not a die-hard fan but I liked that reckless punkish vibe to their earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 1:13 pm

is this a review of Welcome to Hell? if so, it should be moved to the proper area.

i agree with Freddy though.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:42 pm

The title track is a NWOBHM classic IMO, despite the lyrics.

Favorite Venom tracks, "Manitou", "Warhead" and "Acid Queen".

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Manitou and Warhead are 2 of my top five favorite Venom songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Venom was a real 'had to be there' type of band. I can still remember being buying their Possessed album at 14 and thinking how diabolicaly evil these guys were. Of course now it just seems tongue-in-cheek which is what it really was.

They were terrible musicians and relied on hype more than anything else, but they were also the first to really start pushing limits and peoples buttons, gotta love em just for that.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Nice album review
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Some of my favorite Venom tracks are Manitou, Warhead, Teacher's Pet, and Too Loud For The Crowd.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:56 pm

I personally love Venom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Venom is a joke. Talentless hacks. Real life Spinal Taps. A parody unto themselves. But for some reason, I really like Cronos' solo stuff. A bit hypocritical, I guess. I don't like strawberries, but love strawberry jam.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Love nearly all VENOM albums and i dont think they were or are a joke. MANOWAR is no joke to me either. They always had a sence of humor but not more then that. They believe in what they are doing (specialy MANOWAR) and thats what i respect.
VENOM AND MANOWAR FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:
You know, alot of people always say that the biggest joke in modern metal is Manowar, with their 'manly' Conan-inspired get-up and their songs praising the Norse gods and condemning poseurs.

AACK! sick I'll take VENOM over MANOWAR any day. VENOM - Welcome To Hell 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 pm

I love Venom's first four albums, great stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 pm

I've had the album since high school and still play it once in a while. Despite it's flaws, I still enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 am

TrogDawn wrote:
Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:

AACK! sick I'll take VENOM over MANOWAR any day. VENOM - Welcome To Hell 309780
me too, but i still like some early Manowar albums.

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 2:15 am

I loved VENOM when I was younger. But I only liked their material from 81's Welcome To Hell up through 87's Calm Before The Storm. The first 3 were my favorites back then. After I became a believer, I gave 'em up. I haven't listened to them regularly since the early to mid-90's. I always liked what Abaddon said on the Ultimate Revenge video. Something to the effect of..."Cronos may not be the best bassist, I may not be the best drummer, etc., but together we're a powerful unit." He summed up the very reason that I love a lot of simple bands. Technicality doesn't necessarily make better music. VENOM really appealed to me back then because they were raw.

I had all their stuff on vinyl back then, including some 12" singles and a couple of rare 7" picture discs. When CARCASS played Raleigh in '93, I got Mike Hickey to autograph Calm Before The Storm.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 am

As much as I like them though, I have to say they sucked live. Abaddon was so off it sounded like he was playing a different song sometimes
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 am

I have a "best of" comp that I break out from time to time, but I was never inclined to seek out any other material.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:26 am

Why do so many christians pretend to not like Venom for the music?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:35 am

Muloc7253 wrote:
Why do so many christians pretend to not like Venom for the music?

Can you point out who is pretending? I'm curious.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:42 am

DeathCult wrote:
As much as I like them though, I have to say they sucked live. Abaddon was so off it sounded like he was playing a different song sometimes

Abaddon has long been considered the 'weak link' in Venom. Cronos and Mantas may not have been virtuosos but they could play their instruments well enough to get by, but Abaddon was supposedly pretty incompetent. I remember reading some interviews with Cronos after Venom's initial breakup where he bashed on Abaddon pretty badly.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VENOM - Welcome To Hell   VENOM - Welcome To Hell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VENOM - Welcome To Hell
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next