Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TURISAS - The Varangian Way

Go down 
+6
ghost
Smindas
exact33
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

TURISAS - The Varangian Way Empty
PostSubject: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 7:53 pm

TURISAS is one of those bands that you will either love incredibly (or "love with mouth" as my friends sometimes say), or hate their guts. It really all depends on your tastes in metal.

TURISAS are both Folk Metal (i.e. power metal with traditional folk insturnments) and Viking Metal (self explanatory). And the neat thing is, it WORKS. Their albums are epic, headdbanging sing-alongs filled with crunching riffs, marching tempos, and lyrics about the glories of the various tribes (ficitional and nonfictional) of Pre-Christian Scandinavia.

This particular album is actually a concept album about a fictional tribe of Norsemen called the Varangians, and their experiences sailing around the seven seas. What makes it unique is that it's rather well-researched (at least that's what the band says).

It's great metal, but it's also a bit of an aquired taste. If you don't like power metal in general, you're going to hate this thing with the fury of a thousand suns.

However, if you love this type of over-the-top metal, this is right up your alley.

I give this album four pillaging Norse smileymen out of five.
TURISAS - The Varangian Way 505193 TURISAS - The Varangian Way 505193 TURISAS - The Varangian Way 505193 TURISAS - The Varangian Way 505193
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 8:13 pm

I've heard very little of this band. I like folk metal and power metal but I detest excessive growling and grunting. How much of that is in this music?

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 9:46 pm

I love The Varangian Way. I don't have Battle Metal.

Toho, they have a generally very rough vocal style but I wouldn't call it growling or grunting. There's also cleaner vocals in there as well. I think you'll get a chance to hear at least two more songs soon.....
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 11:55 pm

I loved this release upon really listening to it. It took me awhile (and buying it a second time) to get it though. I love the clean vocal parts and can stomach the grunting. It is an acquired taste but once you get it the cd is well worth listening over and over.

Alex

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 6:59 am

Heard a few songs off it, sounds brilliant. Still need to pick this CD up - may also go see them play with Alestorm and Norther in March.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 am

Quote :
may also go see them play with Alestorm and Norther in March.

I'd hate you more than I do ( mostly ageism and scarf related hatred Twisted Evil ) if I wasn't seeing Pagan Fest soon!! That concert completely changes my outlook on life! cheers
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 2:30 am

Exact33 put one song on the comp swap for me and I liked it so much that I had to buy that album immediately. And it was no disapointment - I love this album from the first song until the last.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:49 am

🤘 Yep!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 9:34 am

Battle Metal is a little more growling orientated but not the annoying kind. Pretty much how it is on Varangian Way but theres just more of it.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 11:04 am

Absolutely KILLER band.
Love The Varangian Way. Still need to get the other one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:00 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
may also go see them play with Alestorm and Norther in March.

I'd hate you more than I do ( mostly ageism and scarf related hatred Twisted Evil ) if I wasn't seeing Pagan Fest soon!! That concert completely changes my outlook on life! cheers
Haha, well it may soothe you to know that I'll probably be unable to make the gig unfortunately!

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:24 pm

Man, that sucks! However, those bands are closer to your "neck of the woods" so you might get a chance again. I'd be more torn up if I'd have to miss because I know it'll be a while (if ever) before they come so close.

That happened a little over a year ago with Blind Guardian. They were going to be in Houston the NIGHT before my family and I flew out for Disney and the DAY OF that flight they were in Dallas or Ft. Worth. It killed me to know this. I'd rather not have known they were in Texas.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 am

Yeah, that is mighty unfortunate. But as you say, these bands are closer to me so I'll probably get another chance. Truth be told, the main band I want to see from the lineup is Alestorm, and with them hailing from the UK, I'm sure I'll get another chance.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:55 am

That Alestorm is HIGH on my want list right now!!!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:01 pm

I haven't heard this band. I recently heard Tyr and wasn't impressed. If Turisas is like Tyr I won't be interested.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 am

What a great CD this is! 10/10 I saw them on this tour! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TURISAS - The Varangian Way   TURISAS - The Varangian Way Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TURISAS - The Varangian Way
Page 1 of 1