Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chicago

Go down 
+8
jstate
Troublezone
akeldama
metalinmyveins
spiritoradio
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
DallasBlack
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 12:40 am

This is one of the biggest longshots I can think of but who here likes Chicago (either the classic 70s material or the 80s pop material)? While I like both eras of this band, I grew up on 80s pop music so I prefer that time period most. I actually don't have any of their albums but I have two best of CDs (Heart Of Chicago Vol. 1&2) that hold enough material that I don't need anything else. They had some of the most bombastic songs in the 70s and some of the most melodic songs of the 80s (I also include Peter Cetera's Glory Of Love and Next Time I Fall In Love though I don't really have any interest in his other solo songs). They are one of my favorite non-metal bands and I listen to them fairly regularly (though not as much lately).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 12:52 am

I really like some of the classic hits from the 70's. I've got that "Best Of". I've been thinking about them lately because I was listening to a couple of obscure bands (Keef Hartley Band, & Gypsy from Minnesota), and they both had brass sections that were obviously Chicago influenced.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 am

I like most of their hits (except for Color My World; man, I HATE that song).

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 am

tohostudios wrote:
I like most of their hits (except for Color My World; man, I HATE that song).

Yeah, that is a bit of a boring song which I always skip.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 4:40 pm

I love '60s and '70s Chicago. I have the two disc best of that covers all of their eras, but the first two albums, Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II are classics.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:18 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
This is one of the biggest longshots I can think of but who here likes Chicago (either the classic 70s material or the 80s pop material)? While I like both eras of this band, I grew up on 80s pop music so I prefer that time period most. I actually don't have any of their albums but I have two best of CDs (Heart Of Chicago Vol. 1&2) that hold enough material that I don't need anything else. They had some of the most bombastic songs in the 70s and some of the most melodic songs of the 80s (I also include Peter Cetera's Glory Of Love and Next Time I Fall In Love though I don't really have any interest in his other solo songs). They are one of my favorite non-metal bands and I listen to them fairly regularly (though not as much lately).

I love Chicago. And talk about longevity...These guys, though they aren't releasing albums, tour every summer. I was raised on their stuff in the 70's as my dad was a huge fan. He saw them at some bar in the Milwaukee area when they were simply known as the Chicago Transit Authority.

There's an interesting story about Chicago's late guitarist Terry Kath that was shown on Chicago's "Behind the Music". When Chicago first got their start, Hendrix saw them play. James Pankow (Trombone) said that Hendrix said to him, "I'm a pretty good guitarist, but this guy is better". Definitely high praise from one of the legends. Unfortunately Kath would die in a gun related accident in 1977.

After Kath accidentally killed himself, it was suposedly Doc Severenson of The Tonight Show fame that convinced Chicago to stay together.

When they got into the 80's, I guess whatever record company Chicago was signed to felt like Peter Cetera was the only star of the group, and they thought it would be good for the band to eliminate the horn section!!! Are you kidding me??? The horn section is the band!!! It just goes to show you that some record execs haven't a clue!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Their early stuff was great '67-'78. Terry Kath was a great guitarist.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 12:37 pm

I heard them on the radio all the time as a kid.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 8:09 pm

I always liked most of their eighties hits. I managed to get some of their earlier stuff on vinyl and really was surprised how good it was. Found it almost perfect for vinyl listening.
Back to top Go down

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 8:20 pm

The first two albums are great jazz-rock fusion experiments, classic stuff. After that there are songs here and there throughout their career that I like, but not enough to go out and get the albums. But those first two are killer.

Also, anyone that likes that early material should also check out the first couple Blood, Sweat & Tears albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:26 am

Quote :
After that there are songs here and there throughout their career that I like, but not enough to go out and get the albums.

That's what the greatest hits cd is for.

Smile
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
After that there are songs here and there throughout their career that I like, but not enough to go out and get the albums.

That's what the greatest hits cd is for.

Smile

All you need is The Heart Of Chicago Vol. 1 and 2 (that's what I have at least)
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:00 pm

I created a playlist tonight, and I had "Beginnings" in it. The song is amazing...Robert Lamm's voice is classic old Chicago. I know most people think of Peter Cetera when they think of old Chicago, but I can't imagine anyone other than Lamm on this tune!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 pm

What Detuned said.....

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 2:02 am

Naw, you gotta get the first few albums. I think it is Chicago V that has the song "A Hit By Varese" that sounds like something ELP would have done on Brain Salad Surgery. Very proggy.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 pm

I think Chicago 17 was the first album I ever bought with my own money, and I still love it all these years later. Fantastic pop songwriting and excellent musicianship all the way around. I also like the earlier stuff, I remember playing 25 or 6 to 4 in jazz band in college.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:12 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down