Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Angels

Go down 
+8
sam
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
ramreb
krokus
Shiney
rattpoison
tohostudios
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

The Angels - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Quote :
That's one of my least favorite Angels discs.

But why? What's wrong with it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:57 pm

Just not very memorable songs on that one. Glancing at the track list, the only songs I remember are Northwest Highway and With Or Without You.

I'd recommend Face To Face for someone's first foray into The Angels. My other faves are Beyond Salvation and Two Minute Warning.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 1:53 am

Sit down Toho and get a towel.

After more than a decade, one of the bitterest separations in Australian rock ever has been resolved. Doc Neeson will return to The Angels.

The classic line-up of Neeson on lead vocals with John Brewster (Rhythm Guitar, b/v), Rick Brewster (Lead guitar), Chris Bailey (Bass,) and Graham 'Buzz' Bidstrup (Drums) will headline the 30th Anniversary Golden Stave Foundation Charity Luncheon at the Hordern in Sydney on June 27th.

The Angels will then head out around the country for the Face to Face Anniversary tour.

To coincide with the reunion and tour, Albert Productions will re-issue a remastered edition of the classic 'Face To Face' album, which is also having a 30th Anniversary this year.

'Face To Face' featured The Angels classics 'Take A Long Line', 'Shadow Boxer', 'Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again', 'Coming Down', 'After The Rain' and 'Marseilles'.

In recent years, the band has been in a constant state of legal battles with lead singer Neeson who was suing them over the use of the name.

So their it is, i hope this results in new material. Because it would be a waste if it didn't.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:23 am

🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Dear Sweet Jehosaphat.....That nearly gave me a seizure...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Sorry Shiney,

I got carried away thinking about the possiblity of getting new music by my favorite band.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 1:40 am

I might as well chuck this list in here (the Angels got in), this list The Greatest 50 Australian Albums was just compiled and voted on by a whole lot of music people. From Record Store owners to Promoters etc.

1 10-1 - Midnight Oil (1981)
2 Radios Appear - Radio Birdman (1977) * Great pick
3 Living in the 70s - Skyhooks (1974)
4 Hi Fi Way - You Am I (1995) * Surprised it got this high, although no less worthy
5 Stoneage Romeos - Hoodoo Gurus (1984) * Again great pick
6 Gossip - Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls (1986)
7 (I'm) Stranded - the Saints (1977)
8 Kick - INXS (1987)
9 Diesel and Dust - Midnight Oil (1987)
10 Back in Black - AC/DC (1980)
11 Magic Box - Loved Ones (1967)
12 Easy - the Easybeats (1965)
13 Born Sandy Devotional - the Triffids (1986)
14 Crowded House - Crowded House (1986)
15 Human Frailty - Hunters and Collectors (1986)
16 High Voltage - AC/DC (1976)
17 Sunnyboys - Sunnyboys (1981)
18 Wait Long By The River and the Bodies of Your Enemies will Float By - The Drones (2005) * A modern classic, and i'm not saying this cause my cousin just married their former drummer Laughing
19 16 Lovers Lane - Go-Betweens (1988)
20 Prehistoric Sounds - the Saints (1988)
21 Circus Animals - Cold Chisel (1980)
22 Hourly, Daily - You Am I (1996)
23 East - Cold Chisel (1980)
24 Doughboy Hollow - Died Pretty (1991)
25 Goodbye Tiger - Richard Clapton (1977)
26 Daddy Who - Daddy Cool (1971)
27 Prayers on Fire - the Birthday Party (1981) * Should have been way higher
28 Charcoal Lane - Archie Roach (1992)
29 Rose Tattoo - Rose Tattoo (1978) * The Unholy trinity of OZ hard rock is complete
30 Less is More - Even (1996)
31 Let There Be Rock - AC/DC (1977)
32 Since I Left You - the Avalanches (2001)
33 Flowers - Icehouse(1980)
34 Toward the Blues - Chain (1971)
35 Anthology - the Easybeats (2000)
36 The Good Son - Nick Cave (1990)
37 Highway to Hell - AC/DC (1979)
38 The Low Road - Beasts of Bourbon (1991) * Hell yeah
39 The Swing - INXS (1984)
40 Lovetown - Stephen Cummings (1988)
41 Face to Face - the Angels (1978) * Of Course
42 Post - Paul Kelly (1985)
43 Woodface - Crowded house (1991)
44 Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express - Go-Betweens (1986)
45 Tu Plang - Regurgitator (1996)
46 Eternal Nightcap - The Whitlams (1997)
47 Diorama - Silverchair (2002)
48 Starfish - The Church (1988)
49 A Toast to Panama Red - Masters' Apprentices (1972)
50 Get Born - Jet (2003) * Hmmm!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 5:08 am

I have "Night Attack" and "Dark Room". "Face The Day" is one of my all time favorite songs from any band.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 5:43 am

Another Angels fan! crazy happy

Yeah Face The Day is awesome. You should get their album "Face To Face". It's their best imo....and in alot others.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:38 am

Definitely get Face To Face, Beyond Salvation and Two Minute Warning.

Face To Face is my favorite Angels album but Beyond Salvation has two of my favorite Angels songs, "Dogs Are Talking" and "Let The Night Roll On"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 am

What are you doing in here Toho? Laughing

Did you see the list i posted. There'd be a few favourites of yours on it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:59 am

I've never even heard of a lot of those albums.

And Highway To Hell should be a lot higher.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 6:51 pm

I think i remember hearing you were a fan of the Hoodoo Gurus.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:52 am

rattpoison wrote:
I think i remember hearing you were a fan of the Hoodoo Gurus.

I like Mars Needs Guitars.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 9:25 am

You need Stoneage Romeos, that's their best by far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 1:31 pm

I don't care much about The Angels but I hate Midnight Oil. Pompous mind numbing lyrics. How are they number one. I could be a TA fan to kick MO off that list.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 3:05 pm

I don't hate Midnight Oil but I agree they shouldn't be #1.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 11:38 pm

I just stumbled across this site looking for a current Judas Priest setlist and found this thread of interest.

I discovered The Angels as Angel City back in the late '70's. I never made an AC/DC connection but thought they were a great band. I bought all I could find at the time. Two Minute Warning, Face to Face and Night Attack. I had a friend who was into these guys back then too along with Rose Tattoo. I didn't know that there was anyone left that knew of these bands.

Rose Tattoo were one of those bands that seemed to be making a bit of a stir in the US around the time all of the pretty boy bands came along and since they didn't fit that image they seemed to have gotten over-looked. Too bad, their music is worth listening to.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:53 am

emptytomb1 wrote:
I don't care much about The Angels but I hate Midnight Oil. Pompous mind numbing lyrics. How are they number one. I could be a TA fan to kick MO off that list.

Gotta disagree there. Midnight Oil were fantastic songwriters. If you call voicing concern about Australia's Indigenous peoples, Government, The Enviroment etc. as pompous mind numbing lyrics then i don't know were your at.

They might not mean much to someone on the otherside of the world but down here they still mean a hell of a lot even 25 odd years later from when they were written. Issues that are still prominent.

Midnight Oil embodies Australian music more so than any other artist/band and that's why their at the top.

Last edited by rattpoison on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 am

skullsmasher wrote:
I just stumbled across this site looking for a current Judas Priest setlist and found this thread of interest.

I discovered The Angels as Angel City back in the late '70's. I never made an AC/DC connection but thought they were a great band. I bought all I could find at the time. Two Minute Warning, Face to Face and Night Attack. I had a friend who was into these guys back then too along with Rose Tattoo. I didn't know that there was anyone left that knew of these bands.

Rose Tattoo were one of those bands that seemed to be making a bit of a stir in the US around the time all of the pretty boy bands came along and since they didn't fit that image they seemed to have gotten over-looked. Too bad, their music is worth listening to.

Cool welcome, hang around the board.

There's no doubt The Angels and Rose Tattoo made a musical mark influence wise rather than commercially, you'd look no further than Guns N' Roses covering both those bands in the late 80's.

And now you've got Airbourne who are making waves who are clearly indebted to the sounds of the Angels and Rose Tattoo.

People still remember them though it's usually the guys in bands, which is probably best. But i think the Angels and Rose Tattoo should be canonised as classic hard rock/metal bands alongside Judas Priest, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead etc. that emerged from the late 70's.

....I mean, not ragging on them or anything but Krokus are more well known then the Angels and Rose Tattoo amongst hard rock/metal fans. Which says something.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:04 am

....I mean, not ragging on them or anything but Krokus are more well known then the Angels and Rose Tattoo amongst hard rock/metal fans. Which says something.[/quote]

I agree with this, but most people I know never knew there was a Krokus until Headhunter and the Midnight Maniac and Ballroom Blitz stuff. After that they seemed to drift away (in the US anyway). I believe that they have been around since the early 1970's and had at least 3 pretty good albums out before Headhunter. I really liked "One Vice at a Time".

I never thought that The Angels even sounded remotely like AC/DC though. Small Price to Pay is one of my favorite tunes. I looked into their catalog after reading some of the above posts and have seen that there is much more than what I knew of out there, I wish I had not lost touch with this band and been buying their music over the last 25 years, ( My God, has it really been that long)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 am

Beyond Salvation is a must-have IMO.

I finally rounded up all the Angels CDs when I scored the S/T debut off eBay several months back. The rest of their catalog is now pretty readily available through Amazon zShops though.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 pm

The Angels or as I knew them Angel City great band, I love them, "Dark Room" is my favorite album by these guys, as I stated in another thread I accidently bought their album (actually casette) when I thought it was an Angel album I had missed, what a surprise when I threw them on!!!

I never heard anyone say that Angel City sounded like AC/DC simply because I knew no one who had heard of them!!! Great White's version of " Face the Day" is good but it can't touch the original.

Your comparison to Thin Lizzy was very good Rattpoison, I agree both Lynott and Neeson were story tellers in their lyrics, I never got to see any version Angel City live, hell I am not even sure they ever toured the States.

The last album bought from them was " Beyond Salvation" about 1990-91, and then they kind of disappeared from my radar I will have to start rebuilding my collection, btw I will refer to them as The Angels just a bad habit used to calling them Angel City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndq5Ed-zMsI&feature=related
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:42 am

I'm pretty sure they toured the US back in the day....but you might get another chance, they recently reunited and are heading out on the road with Rose Tattoo down here in OZ. So you never know!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:12 am

manny wrote:
The Angels or as I knew them Angel City great band, I love them, "Dark Room" is my favorite album by these guys, as I stated in another thread I accidently bought their album (actually casette) when I thought it was an Angel album I had missed, what a surprise when I threw them on!!!

I never heard anyone say that Angel City sounded like AC/DC simply because I knew no one who had heard of them!!! Great White's version of " Face the Day" is good but it can't touch the original.

Your comparison to Thin Lizzy was very good Rattpoison, I agree both Lynott and Neeson were story tellers in their lyrics, I never got to see any version Angel City live, hell I am not even sure they ever toured the States.

The last album bought from them was " Beyond Salvation" about 1990-91, and then they kind of disappeared from my radar I will have to start rebuilding my collection, btw I will refer to them as The Angels just a bad habit used to calling them Angel City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndq5Ed-zMsI&feature=related

Manny,

If you haven't gotten it already, get Face To Face. That's still my favorite from The Angels. Two Minute Warning is also all killer, no filler.

PostSubject: Re: The Angels   The Angels - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Angels
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next