Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ANY GARY MOORE fans????

Go down 
+23
jstate
chewie
cruedevil71
EmoElmo
tohostudios
bass63
Boris2008
James B.
Metal Misfit
akeldama
manny
ghostintheruins
nevermore
journeyman
GrandNational
SAHB Healer
Olafsto
Louder
MoonChild
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Tall Tyrion
krokus
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 pm

I've been reading Ult's reviews. Never listened to him before, but I'm thinking I need to pick up at least one of his CDs next paycheck.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:01 pm

So I got Victims of the Future last week. I LOVE IT!!! Great record. I've listened to most of Dirty Fingers on his MySpace page and I love that too. I plan on picking that one up along with Corridors of Power and Run for Cover soon. headbanger

My thoughts on Victims of the Future at my blog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Love Gary Moore. First I heard of him was on the radio playing Shapes Of Things when it came out and was blown away. Been a big fan ever since. Recently picked up Victims Of The Future and Corridors Of Power on cd to replace my aging tapes (which took forever to find). I lost track of him and didn't rediscover him until he hit again with his blues albums. Gary is one great guitarist with a wide array of versitility while maintaining that feel and emotion. Still looking for the two Colosseum II releases he was on. I favor his work in the 70-80's but all of his work is good. Gary is one of those guys that can blow your mind time and again with feeling.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Anybody have "Grinding Stone" ?

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Actually, just found all 3 Colosseum II on itunes. I prefer not to buy from there, but sometimes it makes sense. Gary rocks....yeah.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 8:46 pm

wmcollis wrote:
Actually, just found all 3 Colosseum II on itunes. I prefer not to buy from there, but sometimes it makes sense. Gary rocks....yeah.

Do you collect vinyl ?

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 9:31 am

James B. wrote:
wmcollis wrote:

Do you collect vinyl ?
No, all my vinyl is gone. I am thinking about starting back up since I've noticed many artists are releasing vinyl.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 10:59 pm

wmcollis wrote:
James B. wrote:
wmcollis wrote:

Do you collect vinyl ?
No, all my vinyl is gone. I am thinking about starting back up since I've noticed many artists are releasing vinyl.

Plus used vinyl is another route to find OLD stuff.
The reason I asked is becuase I have see those Colosseum II releases at used vinyl shops before.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am

Gary Moore's debut solo album has been re-released for anyone that cares...

Quote :
Gary Moore’s debut solo album Back On The Streets has been re-released as an extended edition.

The original record, including signature track 'Parisienne Walkways', came out in 1978, and featured Thin Lizzy’s Phil Lynott and Brian Downey on four tracks.

The new version, on sale now via Amazon, includes four additional tracks. 'Track Nine' was the B-side on the title song’s single release, while Lynott sings on one of three versions of 'Spanish Guitar'.

Tracklist

1. Back On The Streets
2. Don’t Believe A Word
3. Fanatical Fascists
4. Flight Of The Snow Moose
5. Hurricane
6. Song For Donna
7. What Would You Rather Bee Or A Wasp
8. Parisienne Walkways
9. Track Nine
10. Spanish Guitar (with Phil Lynott)
11. Spanish Guitar
12. Spanish Guitar

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 11:48 am

Very cool. I already have it on CD and vinyl, so I don't think I'll buy it again.

I suppose technically that Back on the Streets (1978) is his first solo album, but really it's his second behind The Gary Moore Band's Grinding Stone from 1973.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm going to be really cliche and say that I really 'love' Parisienne Walkways' it's just a great track! In love lots of his other stuff too.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 pm

I've always liked Gary Moore's albums. Hard rock & blues. In fact I prefer his blues work.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 pm

I think the best thing I've heard from Gary Moore is "Over The Hills And Far Away".   I actually have that on vinyl somewhere.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:35 pm

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm a big fan of Gary's blues albums. However if I were to look for a good representation of his more hard rock stuff, where might be a good place to start? Any good comps out there? Or an album or 2 that really shows of his talent for ripping it up?

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Every learning Rock/METAL guitar player should lay their foundation on Gary's playing. He's my definition of a guitar god, chooses his notes exquisitely well and knows how to make 'em speak.

I'd pick hi *skill* over Vai or Malmsteen anyday
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 7:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
As mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm a big fan of Gary's blues albums. However if I were to look for a good representation of his more hard rock stuff, where might be a good place to start? Any good comps out there? Or an album or 2 that really shows of his talent for ripping it up?
I'd go with Victims Of The Future but really 95% of his 80's output is fantastic. VOTF being the peak IMHO.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 2:10 am

I really dig the jazz fusion he did with Colosseum II and his work on Andrew Lloyd Webber's prog album, Variations.

Victims of the Future was the first album I bought of his! Killer metal album!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 7:42 am

I'm a big fan of Corridors Of Power and After The War. Always felt After The War should've been a big hit at the time.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm not overly familiar with his catalog (but interested in checking more of it) however I recently saw a Gary Moore concert dvd paying tribute to Phil Lynott - has Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham and Eric Bell as guests. It is a really good set basically covering all the classic 'Lizzy songs.
Back to top Go down
cruedevil71
Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 11:10 pm

I have to admit that I am not a fan of his blues era. That is mostly due to the fact that I'm burnt on the blues. My father is a teacher  so when I was 12 he gave me my first guitar. I played blues for 8 years. (pentatonic hell) Then I went to the same college as my dad and found Jazz which was drilled into head to the point of insanity. Needless to say, I have now found myself searching for the Dudes like Moore's early material and even been digging Frank Marino's early to mid catalog. Where its more of a fusion type of deal. I Can't recommend Marino enough. Sadly I missed out on him in my youth as well as Moore. It's funny that after all these years I am still discovering all this great music I missed as a child. That is why I'm not that hip with the trends of today due to the fact that I'm too busy rediscovering the plethera of great music that's been left behind and sadly underrated.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 am

I recenty picked up The Gary Moore Platinum Collection. A 3 cd set which covers rock, blues and live. It does a pretty decent job of covering all his eras, I guess, and for the price (just a hair over $10 w/shipping), it's worth it. Most of the blues tuneage I have already, but I don't mind having them all together in one place. The live disc is where he really shines.

The downside of it is the Rock disc. As I was kinda afraid of, allot of the tunes on there suffer from 80's too-slick over-production. The sounds of synths and cheesy keyboards are like nails on a chalkboard to me. The Blues and Live discs fare much better, production-wise. The guitar and guitarist are allowed to dominate, without all the extra bells & whistles. The Rock disc comes off sounding very dated. Not all of it, but a good portion.

Overall though, I'd say it's a pretty decent overview of the guy for anyone that's looking to test the waters.

Disc 1 (Rock)
1."Parisienne Walkways"
2."Out in the Fields"
3."Over the Hills and Far Away"
4."Empty Rooms ('84 Remix)"
5."Friday on My Mind"
6."After the War"
7."Wild Frontier"
8."The Loner"
9."Shapes of Things"
10."Wishing Well"
11."Don't Take Me for a Loser"
12."Hold on to Love"
13."Blood of Emeralds"
14."Take a Little Time"
15."Like Angels"
16."One Good Reason"
17."Johnny Boy"

Disc 2 (Blues)
1."Still Got the Blues (For You)"
2."Cold Day in Hell"
3."Oh Pretty Woman"
4."Story of the Blues"
5."Separate Ways"
6."Since I Met You Baby"
7."I Loved Another Woman"
8."Woke Up This Morning"
9."Further on Up the Road"
10."The Sky Is Crying"
11."Left Me with the Blues"
12."Mean Cruel Woman"
13."The Blues Is Alright"
14."If You Be My Baby"
15."Need Your Love So Bad"

Disc 3 (Live)
1."Murder in the Skies" (Live)
2."Military Man" (Live)
3."White Knuckles" (Live)
4."Empty Rooms" (Live)
5."Out in the Fields" (Live)
6."Back on the Streets" (Live)
7."Stop Messin' Around" (Live)
8."Cold Day in Hell" (Live)
9."Midnight Blues" (Live)
10."King of the Blues" (Live)
11."Caldonia" (Live)
12."Cold, Cold Feeling" (Live)
13."Parisienne Walkways" (Live)

Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The Rock disc comes off sounding very dated. Not all of it, but a good portion.
That is my only gripe with his 80's material. It didn't age as well as I would have liked (production wise) but that doesn't take away from its sheer awesomeness.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

cruedevil71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
That is my only gripe with his 80's material. It didn't age as well as I would have liked (production wise) but that doesn't take away from its sheer awesomeness.
Yup. Still need some time to digest all of it, but there is some fine music contained within those 3 discs. The production stuff is just a sign of the times. Can't fault Mr. Moore for that. There are lots of discs from lots of artists released back then that I loved, but going back now, the added synths and keyboards just kill me.

Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 3:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
cruedevil71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yup. Still need some time to digest all of it, but there is some fine music contained within those 3 discs. The production stuff is just a sign of the times. Can't fault Mr. Moore for that. There are lots of discs from lots of artists released back then that I loved, but going back now, the added synths and keyboards just kill me.
So true on the keys point. I actually don't mind keyboards/synths nowadays since they sound sooo much better than the horrible 80's sounding technology.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
cruedevil71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
So true. Going back and listening to stuff I grew up on is quite a trip now. My ears are different now I guess. The 80's production style isn't much to my liking these days. Not saying I don't spin those albums, cause good stuff is good stuff. I just hear it differently now then I did back then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANY GARY MOORE fans????   ANY GARY MOORE fans???? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ANY GARY MOORE fans????
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next